Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

Houston PD overreacts to Street Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 01:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Houston PD overreacts to Street Racing

Another good reason to hate cops.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/front/1539629
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/topstory2/1540867
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/editorial/1540550
Old 08-23-2002, 02:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 99 Formula
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
That is if they were just hangin out. Kids do that hear at a K Mart shopping center too, granted they're mostly rice and it's funny, but still that is wrong of the cops if they were just chillin.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '00 Chevrolet Corvette
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Old 08-23-2002, 03:42 PM

Car: 1981 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham 2dr Coupe
Engine: 403 Olds v8, bored .030 over
Transmission: 350 T.H. 3A, shift kit
Ladies and Gentlemen...***** are amongst us. Or at least they are headed that direction. G0dless pieces of gutter trash. They won't do that in my city, I guaratee. And if there is ever anything I can do about it- they'll not do that again anywhere.
Old 08-23-2002, 03:56 PM

Car: 1981 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Brougham 2dr Coupe
Engine: 403 Olds v8, bored .030 over
Transmission: 350 T.H. 3A, shift kit
If I'm ever driving and I start to get extremely nervous and keep looking in my rear view mirror, it means there's either a psycho or a cop behind me. But that's redundant isn't it. Most of the time anyway.
Do I race? Yes.
Have I been over 100? Yes- frequently, but neccessarily. People speed up when I try to pass. But that's ok, they're rich biggits, they can do no wrong.
Am I a safe driver? Yes. And then some. I am the safest driver on the road, I'll wager.
Most cops were fatass jock bullies in high school, druggies and drunks and they wanted a job where they could get immunity for those things and killing.

This is not all cops. But it is quite a few of them. I think G0d for the good ones. All 10 % of them.
Old 08-23-2002, 04:33 PM

It is a shame that the kids were not given the chance to leave under their own power. AND THE 10 YEAR OLD GIRL!!! common, the police officers should have used a bit of common sense, wether they were ordered to arrest everyone or not!

Oh by the way in before the lock
Old 08-23-2002, 05:05 PM

Car: 1987 IROC-Z Camaro
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Originally posted by Abel Kane
If I'm ever driving and I start to get extremely nervous and keep looking in my rear view mirror, it means there's either a psycho or a cop behind me. But that's redundant isn't it. Most of the time anyway.
Do I race? Yes.
Have I been over 100? Yes- frequently, but neccessarily. People speed up when I try to pass. But that's ok, they're rich biggits, they can do no wrong.
Am I a safe driver? Yes. And then some. I am the safest driver on the road, I'll wager.
Most cops were fatass jock bullies in high school, druggies and drunks and they wanted a job where they could get immunity for those things and killing.

This is not all cops. But it is quite a few of them. I think G0d for the good ones. All 10 % of them.
I disagree, I think most cops were the kids who werent really good at anything and got picked on when they were young. Now they have some authority and they use it to get back at society for making them outcasts.
Old 08-23-2002, 05:33 PM

Why does everybody always put the morons in charge?????????
Did you see what some of the cops said? They thought what they were doing was rediculass, but they were following orders to keep their jobs.
Old 08-23-2002, 05:41 PM

Car: 1983 Trans Am
Engine: 355 SBC
Transmission: 700R-4
If I got trapped in that ****, you'd better believe there'd be a lawsuit. Especially if my car got towed and had to spend the night in jail. First of all, they could not arrest anyone anyway. If the K-Mart is open 24 hours, it is not illegal trespass. Maybe loitering at best, if they had no intent on shopping. Except maybe the minors with the curfew law, but that's it.

Second of all, imagine if you are sitting at the Sonic, at a table mind you, eating and some cop comes over and says "get up, you're under arrest." I'd be like "WTF!!!!!". Hell, it'd try to run just for the fun of it. If you wanna arrest me for some absolutely retarded bullsh!t, you're gonna have to work for it! LOL, call me demented, but I've always thought I could outdrive a cop. I'd be fun to see.

Steve
Old 08-23-2002, 07:44 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: Stock LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9 bolt
Dang, thats way too extreme. They'd have to work to get me and my car coralled in that situation. The police obviously have the authority and duty to go after street racers. Hundreds of people arrested and cars towed because some guy who needs to justify his existance decides to become dictator for a night. I hope that the HPD learns a tough lesson and learns from their mistakes. It'll probably turn out that he had some money left over in his budget for that operation and decided that he needed to spend it no matter what.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:16 PM

That's just wrong. How can you arrest people who are customers of the businesses there that are clearly not part of the crew 'hanging out" and claim tresspassing?

Technically only Kmart and Sonic can actually press charges....and I don't think they would after this incident to avoid bad press on themselves.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:38 PM

O hell no thear is no way i would go with out a fight and if they did take me in o well id have a couple 100,000 to put into my car so I could be picked up for some real street raceing.to the cops :nono:
Old 08-23-2002, 08:45 PM
Supreme Member

that is some of the biggest load of I have ever read.
I hope they fire that Cpt.
sometimes you have to understand its not the cop on the streets fault on what they do. but that Cpt needs to fry.
sure street racing can cause death and it's the job of the cops to protect Joe citizen. but this is out of hand. arrest a person eating at a fast food place???
total

biker
Old 08-23-2002, 09:15 PM

They tried to pull that crap here in MD.. By order of the Governor!! We know one of the few "cool cops" around here and he gives us a heads up on stuff like this. He said to watch out b/c the state police were going to be out last weekend arresting anyone who was hanging out at (ironically) a KMart! We thought it was BS. Wait till all my buddy's see these articles tomorrow!
Old 08-23-2002, 09:24 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '91 Formula
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH350 built
Axle/Gears: 3.73
This was really ridiculous. I live in Houston and am 52 years old. I have a 91 firebird that I usually only take out on weekends. I have been down to this area with my 14 year old son. We usually go to the Sonic right in front of the Kmart and get a milk shake and stand out and watch the cars. Its 90% imports with lots of rice but they are fun to watch. We usually go earlier maybe 8pm to 10pm. Thisbust happened at 12:30 am think. If the businesses were complaining all they had to do was send a police cruiser thru there and say on the loud speaker that everyone should split or risk getting busted. Im sure 99% would have hauled ***. Instead they swoop in there like some kind of gestapo gastards from hell and arrest everything in sight, including little girls eating ice cream. The police chief is investigating the tactics, and he damn well should have. If one of my kids was arrested I would be pissed. There is not really any racing going on anyway, just a few front wheel burnouts which are pathetic anyway. What morons
Old 08-23-2002, 10:11 PM
Nic
Supreme Member

Car: 1993 Ford Mustang
Engine: 5.0L
Transmission: T5
Spread the news and consider this a victory for hot rodders everywhere :lala:
Old 08-23-2002, 11:48 PM

those sick bastards, wtf? a 10 year old eating icecream with daddy? pull your head out for the love of ***

kolby
Old 08-24-2002, 12:16 AM
Supreme Member

Car: '10 Subaru Forester
Engine: 2.5 Boxer
Transmission: 4EAT
Axle/Gears: 4.44
They all need to sue the **** out of that PD dept. There is no way in hell they can justify towing hundreds of cars and posting bail on hundreds of people... think of the thousands of dollars the cops made on this bust... 465 people @ $300 a pop = $139,500... ****IN bastards! I would have seriously contemplated running... no way a cop car out handles my car... maybe out accelerate, but I can pull mad G's with the Ws6 suspension...
Old 08-24-2002, 12:27 AM
TGO Supporter

Location: Avatar: My 34' 1989 Scarab III w/ twin 454's (502's Started!)
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Wellcraft Scarab III
Engine: Twin 454's
Axle/Gears: Twin Mercruiser Bravo I's
Supreme stupidity. At least the cops themselves seemed to be against the Captain, too.

Nic, I'm with you...a victory for hot rodders!
Old 08-24-2002, 04:25 AM

Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.73
I have personally been out to westeimer which is the street that the K-mart is located, it is a very long street about 20-25 miles long and street races were pretty easy to find when I used to go out there, to show you all how dumb it was to arrest them I got pulled over there 1 year ago for racing(I know it was dumb, but I made sure that there wasn,t any cars in front of us) and I got a ticket from HPD and got it dimissed., no jail time.Most of the time HPD would drive through these parking lots and everybody who had enough sence would leave with no problem. I personally have been out to these car gatherings in these parking lots, usually at businesses which are closed, and no they aren't all ricers which most people think,I don't know about now because I am not into the street racing anymore and I am pretty sure it has slowed down alot since the last time I went out there. Sorry for the long post.
Oh and by the way the officer who ordered the arrests was hit by an 18-wheeler last week in his city vehicle (he wasn't injured)
Old 08-24-2002, 09:41 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: '89 IROC, '14 LTZ Burb, '18 H6 Outb
Engine: 355 TPI /w Vortec
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 9 bolt 3.27
WOW That is just to friggen much!!!
I'd sue the ever lov'in crap out of the PD if I was that dad of the 10yr old. Please update this as possable! I'd like to hear what happens. again-
Old 08-24-2002, 02:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '92 RS
I too have been up to Westeimer before, the street racing there is probably the best in Houston. Like someone else said, miles and miles of road to just cruise for as long as you like. Ive been up there before when the cops have come, usually only one or two, and just made sure everyone left the parking lots. There are usually a few cops out on the street, but not too bad, you just have to watch out for them. It is mostly rice, but there are still some pretty sweet cars out there, Turbo Supras, Vipers, Vettes, 'Stangs and Camaros, even saw a brand new Ferrari 360 Modena the last time I went up there. But this is just complete crap. Ive been there twice, both times we were just told to leave the parking lot, so we'd go out, drive around for maybe 30 minutes, and then somebody would usually find another spot. But never to this extent. I never have liked cops, this sure as hell doesnt help my view of them. All I have to say is Screw You HPD!
Old 08-24-2002, 03:18 PM

yeah that was rediculus how they did that and there gonna pay for it eventually. me and my brother go out to westimer about once a month its really fun cause you get to see all sorts of bad a** cars, and the people that are out there are usually nice as long as u dont start talkin to much trash to them. but the cops seem to be getting more pissy about the street racing thing becasue around here there startin to crack down more too, but its mostly just people bitchen and gripen about kids revin their motors and it scares them or sumthin. oh well lees ppl on the roads.
Franks
Old 08-25-2002, 07:55 AM

Car: 1991 z28
Engine: l98
Transmission: 700r4
Sue them? I'd own the damn department if that happened to me. Just have to get Jonny Cochran :lala:

Seriously though, that crosses the line for harassment, im no lawyer but you can be sure there will be a lot of civil rights lawsuits.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '92 RS
my dad told me about it the day after it happened, and he said the lawsuits had already started for harrassment and rights violations and all kinds of other stuff
Old 08-25-2002, 04:54 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Red92RS

Oh and by the way the officer who ordered the arrests was hit by an 18-wheeler last week in his city vehicle (he wasn't injured)
UNFOURTUNATLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The ****er should have eaten a couple of grille rods!.
Old 08-25-2002, 05:19 PM

Engine: slowtacular L03 305
Transmission: slushem 700r4
Man all of the cops are like that. To top it off there isn't anyplace in most towns that really wants kids or just people in general to hang around so you get problems like this. Probably the coolest place in my town though is the Dairy Queen on the main drag that just pretty much lets everybody that can resonabli fit in their lot come on in and hang out while the sonic next door just gets pissed and calls the cops only to have everybody and then some come back 5 minutes later in one big line. Its just a waste of time. The cops would be better off to just have an unmarked parked near these hangouts and follow cars that leave in groups of 3 or more and just follow them to see if they are gonna race and then pop em. I have never been one to lie or give law enforcement a hard time (to its face) but i think if that **** happened to me i would make a damn hard attempt to run like hell. I hope to *** that department is bankrupted.