Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

2002 Eclipse 15 sec car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002 | 10:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 2018 Camaro SS
Engine: LT1 w/Paxton 1500SL
alright guys don't turn this into a pissing contest, just cause someone has an import doesn't make them a *****, hell i've seen some VERY tasteless domesticated rice, frankly all rice and their owners should be banished to the moon
Old 06-08-2002 | 10:54 AM
Supreme Member

I agre that not all imports are rice, but saying there are alot of 9 second imports narrows it down to the super imports! Lets put it this way, a Civic is NOT in the same league, and will nevwer be in the same league as a Supra or 3000GT. I have NEVER seen or heard of a 9second street driven Civic, but I have seen 9 second street driven Mustangs, Camaros, Chevelles, Vipers, Novas, Falcons, and many more!
Old 06-08-2002 | 11:24 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: and..

Originally posted by Synapsis

And who's basing their opinion off 1 car in a magazine? At least I'm talking about cars I've personally seen run.
Not me.

Like I said, the only thing *to* driving a car that doesn't break the tires loose or torque steer is shift points. Your only mod is an Injen intake, so you're modded.

A mod that dropped my 1/4 mi. time like a tenth of a second. So stock, I'd probably run 16.5 with that 60'. And your point?

The Turbo Eclipse that kicked my *** ran a 14.5, and the driver bracket races that car for points. So you're saying a N/A V6 GT can run with a second gen Eclipse GSX?

Stock for stock, yes. It's been proven.

Is that stock with paper filter or ***** stock with a cold-air intake? The Eclipse GT I drove (albeit an Auto), giving it a half second for the weight of an auto, would never get into the low 15's bone stock.

Yes, 100% bone stock. The Auto EGT is much slower than the manual. Average times are in the 16s for the Auto/Sportronic.

Face it, Mitsubishi Eclipses are not drag racing cars. Their gearing and powerband is more suited to cruising on the highway. Modded, they can be made into drag cars, like any other car on the planet. But from the car I've driven, the cars I've seen, and the posts I've read on dsmtuners.com (or whatever the site was), the Eclipse GT is a 16 second car.

Please show me where I said that Eclipse's were drag racing cars. Oh so you're getting your information from a bunch of biased DSM guys? DSM guys hate the 3G Eclipse more than any car group. You think they'd tell you the Eclipse GT is about equal to a GS-T and GSX?
Old 06-08-2002 | 11:27 AM

Originally posted by BigL350
Why must all FWD import owners bitch about it being sooooo hard to launch a FWD car? Maybe if they weren't spending all their money on Altezza's and body kits they could spring for some suspension mods and drag radials. Try launching a RWD car with over 350 lb/ft of torque on street tires with a stock suspension. We all know there are some really fast DSMs out there, but 99% of the ones you see are Aholes that expect you to go WOW over their high 14's with a turbo. It's funny how the fastest guys in any import circles are running low 12's/high 11's. The fastest street driven domestics where I am are in the high 9's. Domestic owners are by far the most technically knowledgeable. Try talking to the average rice owner about cam specs or rod/stroke ratio Import owners are the ones who need to crawl out of their neon lighted, vinyl stickered cave.
You my friend, are truly a dumbass
Old 06-08-2002 | 11:37 AM

Originally posted by BigL350
Why must all FWD import owners bitch about it being sooooo hard to launch a FWD car?
I have a FWD import and I don't bitch about it being hard to launch.

Maybe if they weren't spending all their money on Altezza's and body kits they could spring for some suspension mods and drag radials.
Hmm... I have no altezzas or a body kit yet I drive an import.

Try launching a RWD car with over 350 lb/ft of torque on street tires with a stock suspension.
Try launching a FWD car with 350 lb/ft of torque on street tires with stock suspension.

We all know there are some really fast DSMs out there, but 99% of the ones you see are Aholes that expect you to go WOW over their high 14's with a turbo.
Just like the Camaro guys you run into with their ******s and ****ed up teeth.

It's funny how the fastest guys in any import circles are running low 12's/high 11's. The fastest street driven domestics where I am are in the high 9's.
I remember reading about a Supra breaking into the 8's in the street class. Perhaps it was NHRA? I can't remember.

Domestic owners are by far the most technically knowledgeable. Try talking to the average rice owner about cam specs or rod/stroke ratio Import owners are the ones who need to crawl out of their neon lighted, vinyl stickered cave.
And you're the prime example

Here's what you are: An uninformed, ignorant, bigoted, dumbass. Now please go shoot yourself.

Last edited by pakman; 06-08-2002 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-08-2002 | 12:22 PM
Supreme Member

Car: Sexy
Engine: Stock
Transmission: Slipping
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: and..

Originally posted by pakman

And who's basing their opinion off 1 car in a magazine? At least I'm talking about cars I've personally seen run.

Not me.

That wasn't directed at you, pakman. Sorry.

A mod that dropped my 1/4 mi. time like a tenth of a second. So stock, I'd probably run 16.5 with that 60'. And your point?

That makes your car a 16 second car, stock.

Stock for stock, yes. It's been proven.
What's the weight difference between a 2nd (or even first) gen GSX and a 3G Eclipse GT? That's the only way I might even believe a GT can hang with a GSX. All the GSX's I've seen (saw a first gen one yesterday) click off 13.9's to 14.3's on average, I've never seen and 3G get anywhere close to that.

Please show me where I said that Eclipse's were drag racing cars.
You didn't, I said that in support of another point.

I remember reading about a Supra breaking into the 8's in the street class. Perhaps it was NHRA? I can't remember.
It wasn't NHRA, maybe another series. The current Street class record in NHRA sport compact is 9.68, and yes, it was a Supra. There's a 9 second street driven Supra that runs around here somewhere. Rumour has it that it's pushing 600 hp at the wheels.

:hail: Supra. (But I prefer a VR4, my sister has one.)

(Not to flame here.) As for domestic owners being more technically knowledgeable, it might be true for V8's, but an import engine is a whole different ball of wax. They might learn some tricks from us, but we've had almost 50 years to tinker with our Chevy engine. So we have a little head start. I can personally identify most parts in my gf's Eclipse's engine, but I'll be damned if I knew how much (if any) I could bore the cylinders or what duration cam(s) would give me best power. It's like comparing oranges and grapefruit.
Old 06-08-2002 | 01:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: and..

That wasn't directed at you, pakman. Sorry.
It's cool.

What's the weight difference between a 2nd (or even first) gen GSX and a 3G Eclipse GT? That's the only way I might even believe a GT can hang with a GSX. All the GSX's I've seen (saw a first gen one yesterday) click off 13.9's to 14.3's on average, I've never seen and 3G get anywhere close to that.
GSX weighs about 3,400 lbs. GT weighs about 3,200 lbs. Are you saying a stock DSM turbo can pull off a 13.9 to 14.3? If so, you are on crack . Most pull low to mid 15s. Sometimes high 14s if they're one hell of a driver.

You didn't, I said that in support of another point.
Understood.

It wasn't NHRA, maybe another series. The current Street class record in NHRA sport compact is 9.68, and yes, it was a Supra. There's a 9 second street driven Supra that runs around here somewhere. Rumour has it that it's pushing 600 hp at the wheels.

:hail: Supra. (But I prefer a VR4, my sister has one.)
Ahh... maybe it was that. I'm not too sure, it's vague in my memory. Yes, Supra's are badass

(Not to flame here.) As for domestic owners being more technically knowledgeable, it might be true for V8's, but an import engine is a whole different ball of wax. They might learn some tricks from us, but we've had almost 50 years to tinker with our Chevy engine. So we have a little head start. I can personally identify most parts in my gf's Eclipse's engine, but I'll be damned if I knew how much (if any) I could bore the cylinders or what duration cam(s) would give me best power. It's like comparing oranges and grapefruit.
I guess if you put it like that, you are right. The way he made it sound was like domestic guys know more about cars in general. Trying to say that there are no guys in the import scene that know anything. Such an ignorant statement, don't you think?