Theoretical and Street Racing Use this board to ask questions about street racing, discuss your street races, and "who would win?" questions. Keep it safe.

I would be concerned, very concerned about the new Mini-Muscle Cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
giovanhalen,

1. It was Cruz'N Bruz'R that said that not you.

2. giovanhalen, your right about the Japanese motors. One year ago a car pulled in front of my wife's 96 civic and totaled the car, air bag went off, the whole cars unibody was shifted, she wasn't hurt. The engine survived the whole ordeal. Was sitting there purring with all its fluids running out.

3. Also I wouldn't be concerned about those Holden Goats. When goats get scared and nervous they just fall over and kick there legs up and at that point I could beat a goat on my bicycle.

Chet

Last edited by raptoryfm660r; 05-24-2008 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-04-2002, 03:29 PM
Supreme Member

Like some of you,
Ive got little to worry about from these guys

Be careful what you say about mitsu motors. The biggest sleeper Ive ever seen was a 4 door galant VR4. No fart tip, nothing that shouts *****, sounded stock at idle...

runs 11.60's

-Doug
Old 06-04-2002, 07:41 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 BMW 545i
Engine: 4.4L N62B44
Transmission: 6spd auto
Axle/Gears: Rotating
Originally posted by silverstreakII
evo VII--276 rated, approx. 300 trdue spec in JAPAN, us spec, approx. 250
rx-8--280 rated us hp, 0-60 5.9, 1/4 mid 14's
wrx--227 hp awd, 0-60 5.4, 1/4 14.2
350z--280+ hp us spec, 0-60 approx 5.2, 1/4 approx 14.1
skyline aka infiniti q45- 300 hp us spec, 0-60 5.1, 1/4 1.0
viper-- 500 hp, 500 lb-ft, 0-60 3.9, 1/4 11.0
z06--405 hp, 400 lb-ft, 0-60 3.9, 1/4 12.2
03 cobra--390 hp, 390 lb-ft, 0-60 4.5, 1/4 12.4 approx
peter farell rx-7, 650 horse, 620 lb ft, 0-60 3.8, 1/4 11.2
lingenfelter vette, texas spec, 900+hp, 900+ lb-ft, 0-60 1.9 1/4 mid 9's..... legal
lingenfelter s-15, 900+hp, 900+lb-ft, awd, 0-60 1.9, 1/4 mid 8's if the transmission would last a full run
vtec--weak
vvti-- just plain quick
thirdgens-- just plain cool and sexy

the true *****---- paid 90k for a brand new 290 hp nsx, ugly and slow with odd but effective handling dynamics....
the true *****---- paid 36k for an s2000 with 240 horse and 153 lb ft at 2500000000 rpm,
the true *****---- couldve had a viper or ss for that price
the true *****---- believes in zoom zoom
the true *****---- thinks a taller car handles better (civic, rsx, matrix/vibe)
the true *****---- thinks a 4 banger five door is cool
the true *****---- is awed by 165 hp
the true *****---- thinks 400 lbs makes up for 200 hp
the true *****---- belives 140 hp @ 7200 rpm is better than 345 lb-ft@2500 rpm
the true *****---- will race ANYTHING in his 17 sec 89 accord
the true *****---- adds stickers, blue lights, a wing, afart can, and rims for 400 hp

the true import guy---- is into mods
the true import guy---- has a true 12-sec rex, 3000gt vr4, wrx, etc.
the true import guy---- has a decent amount of cash to fund his import, but doesnt waste it on stickers
the true import guy---- will race a car if he thinks itll be a good race
the true import guy---- deserves respect

the true muscle car guy---- has a few muscle cars
the true muscle car guy---- may not be the fastest, but has one of the coolest pieces of history on wheels
the true muscle car guy---- only has stickers on his race car, and only when its a sponsor
the true muscle car guy---- doesnt drive like a d*ck
the true muscle car guy---- races when its fun, and worth the gas
the true muscle car guy---- realizes there are some hot imports, and spends his time making his 20-60 year old tech whoop on variable valve timing, 100hp/liter, state of the art imports just cuz

Some imports are cool, most ricers suck, and ill take anything fast, so long as its not dependant on low weight. dont wanna bog on a hill cuz my buddies just added 250 lbs to a 2400 lb car i want somethin quick, and actually i really like the new 350z, maybe ill pick one up this year
reverend silverstreakII spead the word. tell us about this evil in the world, the devil incarnite, this thing called rice. preach on my brother and we will listen
Old 06-04-2002, 07:42 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by trans87
Plus I will never like the sound of a four-banger. Sounds like a bad running weed whacker.
hehe at least I have progressed to soundling like a chainsaw
Old 06-11-2002, 07:08 AM

If i was you guys i would start watching out for Audi's new RS6.

Its got a twin Turbo V8 with a tiptronic tranny, 14" Floating Rotors and Calipers a la true race gear. Not to mention a truely awesome auto leveling suspension setup. It also comes stock with 18 or 19" wheels. I know its out of most peoples price ranges but just to tell you guys its gunning for the M5 and will destroy it and most other cars along with it.

Check it out at www.AudiWorld.com its crazy.
Old 06-11-2002, 07:28 AM
Supreme Member

There are so many cars running close to 300 hp now it's ridiculous. I'd watch out for soccer mommy in her new Volvo or Audi or Volkswagen W8. I'm not worried about the new cars either because

1) the boys who buy them won't be able to drive them well enough to get all the power out
2)I'm going to but a 150 plate on my car
3)You can already buy a Scooby Doo WRX that is fast as hell for cheap as hell and I haven't seen or heard about any of them doing any street racing around here.
4)there will always be a faster car

Saw a new Z8 driving around here the other day. Guess who was driving...Soccer Mommy!

Last edited by ATOMonkey; 06-11-2002 at 07:33 AM.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by ATOMonkey

Saw a new Z8 driving around here the other day. Guess who was driving...Soccer Mommy!
At least that soccer Mommy wasn't driving one of those Rice burning Mini Vans.

Chet

Last edited by raptoryfm660r; 06-11-2002 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-11-2002, 01:47 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 89 Formula
Engine: 350
Transmission: TH 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Unfortunatley Chet, this is the price we pay for technology- that there is an increasing number of
fast cars- that can easily run with and beat
anything from the 80's- or 60's- with very few exceptions.

They can come with FWD, AWD and RWD. Two door,
four door, hatchbacks and station wagons (thankfully you cannot buy a fast mini-van yet, I hate them)!!!)

Naturally aspirated or forced induction, 4,5,6,8
clyinder. You don't need big cubes to make power.

I belive that technology and applications, like putting powerful motors in 4 doors and othe intraditional sources has taken away sales from the 2 door market, ie, the F-body.

And although I love your car- if I were you- I'd supercharge it or add a 350- cause you will go down ina race to many new cars.

Just keep all the original parts
Old 06-11-2002, 05:38 PM

871LEIroc,

Are you serious?

If I would start messing with my 2719 mile car it would lose value in one of those Chevy heartbeats.

At 45, I am out of the racing stage. I like the cruising mode and like watching other people race around.

I am not touching nothing except to maybe wipe the oxidation off when I put it in a car show with the old slow peanut LB9.

Chet

Old 06-11-2002, 06:25 PM
Supreme Member

Yes and no. I can see how you would not want to modify it at all.

If it was mine I'd break down and mod it- if only to quicken it up a little.

I wonder how much some moding really affects the price on an original car- I see ads of rare muscle cars, ie, LS6 Chevelles, and some times they have a few mods done- still damn exspeniseve though!

I'm still sure your car will be a hit at the shows and the nicest 3rd gen to cruise in.
Old 06-11-2002, 07:55 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Cruz'N Bruz'R
Japan's smog control is a joke. There cars make lots of power, but with very dirty turbos. If the Lancer came over here it would be a highle de-tuned version in order to pass the North American emmisision laws.

Why do you think we don't get the Supra over here?, Not cause they don't sell, dealers couldn't keep them on showroom floors. It's cause they won't pass e-standards anymore. Skyline is the same way. There extremely fast and sorry to say, would destroy a new F-body, but realistically will never come over here in mass numbers unless a huge change occurs on them.
OK Where the HELL are you getting your info?... Turbo's Dirty? YEAH RIGHT. They are one of the "Cleanest" forms of added Hp known. Hell they convert Exhaust heat/flow into power.
AND FYI JAPAN HAS ONE OF THE STRICTEST EPA ORGANIZATIONS KNOWN TO MAN. Thats why they go turbo's cause the typical engine over ther HAS TO BE REPLACED AT 60-70K.

This is coming from a person that was stationed in Hazuka Japan for 6 months. The engines are shipped everywhere from there. You see them al the time "Import engines at how many miles? 60-70 usually"

There is a replacement for Displacement, Force feeding.

Hell RX7Spped's little rotary is one of the best power makers out there to date. And the reason The Supra was pulled from US Shores was the taxes that Toyota had to pay. Supras were not completely made in USA. Several parts still had to come from Japan, and the US got there grubby little hands into it big time.

And that Twin T 3.0 was a beast. You want to know why they cost 35-45K? the taxes they got hit with. If not for that, you better believe that there would be more over here, and they would still be sold(And at around 25K), and getting faster every year in production. And you want to know what I would buy between the Supra Twin T for 25K or the New "looks like a enlongated $hit" Camaro? The Twin T. Cause in free mods I could gain over 75 HP. throw in another 2-3K(typical price for Camaro S/C) and I will have improved turbo's, intercooler, injectors, chip/comp, cams and be running somewhere around 575-600 HP. AND have a lighter car, with a lower drag coefficent.

I love my 2 camaro's don't get me wrong, but I also realize there are alot more cars out there that are alot better.

Why do you think that almost every Turbo kit in the aftermarket has a CARB number? its clean!. Cali has no quams with turbo kits.

Last edited by Camar_Hunter_c; 06-11-2002 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-11-2002, 08:58 PM

Car: 1989 Formula 350 WS6
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700-R4 2600 stall
Hunter is right, all the way.

And BTW, a Skyline is NOT a Q45. Do not confuse them.

www.skylinegtr.com
Old 06-11-2002, 09:33 PM
Banned

Originally posted by cy Z28
Hunter is right, all the way.

And BTW, a Skyline is NOT a Q45. Do not confuse them.

www.skylinegtr.com
Actually I think the Skylines(Depending on year) Look more like the Sweet Silva's. I LOVE that car...
Old 06-11-2002, 11:15 PM

Car: 1984 Z28
Engine: 454
Transmission: Th400
Axle/Gears: 3.73
I was stationed over there too. The reason you have all the surplus Japanese engines is because they junk the cars after 4 or 5 years because of rust or just to get a new car. I don't think many Japanese get there engines replaced at 70,000 miles because they won't pass emissions.
Old 06-12-2002, 12:33 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Iroc Z L98
Originally posted by Camar_Hunter_c

OK Where the HELL are you getting your info?... Turbo's Dirty? YEAH RIGHT. They are one of the "Cleanest" forms of added Hp known. Hell they convert Exhaust heat/flow into power.
AND FYI JAPAN HAS ONE OF THE STRICTEST EPA ORGANIZATIONS KNOWN TO MAN. Thats why they go turbo's cause the typical engine over ther HAS TO BE REPLACED AT 60-70K.

This is coming from a person that was stationed in Hazuka Japan for 6 months. The engines are shipped everywhere from there. You see them al the time "Import engines at how many miles? 60-70 usually"

There is a replacement for Displacement, Force feeding.

Hell RX7Spped's little rotary is one of the best power makers out there to date. And the reason The Supra was pulled from US Shores was the taxes that Toyota had to pay. Supras were not completely made in USA. Several parts still had to come from Japan, and the US got there grubby little hands into it big time.

And that Twin T 3.0 was a beast. You want to know why they cost 35-45K? the taxes they got hit with. If not for that, you better believe that there would be more over here, and they would still be sold(And at around 25K), and getting faster every year in production. And you want to know what I would buy between the Supra Twin T for 25K or the New "looks like a enlongated $hit" Camaro? The Twin T. Cause in free mods I could gain over 75 HP. throw in another 2-3K(typical price for Camaro S/C) and I will have improved turbo's, intercooler, injectors, chip/comp, cams and be running somewhere around 575-600 HP. AND have a lighter car, with a lower drag coefficent.

I love my 2 camaro's don't get me wrong, but I also realize there are alot more cars out there that are alot better.

Why do you think that almost every Turbo kit in the aftermarket has a CARB number? its clean!. Cali has no quams with turbo kits.
first off, you are stupid. they cant run them here because we have different emmissions requirements than japan. its not that they arent cleaner, its that our requirements are different than japans. jdm motors dont pass our smog requirements, my friend with a b16 swapped crx is looking for a way around the local smog laws as we speak. also, on your 2-3 grand will get you that ****, lemme just lay down the going price for the items you just listed for a 95 twin turbo supra:
turbo upgrades-
Turbo Upgrade Kit - Upgrades Original Twin Turbo - T-78/T88 $4,727.27
Turbo Kit - Twin Turbo Off Road Stainless Steel Manifold & Stainless Steel Race Waste Gates - 2 x GT2835 (Off Raod Only) $8,044.29
Single Turbo Kit - Twin Turbo Off Road Stainless Steel Manifold
GT Waste Gate - T04R
INTERCOOLERS-
HKS Intercooler Kit - Twin Turbo - Fits Stock & HKS Turbo Upgrade - Mounts In Stock Location - 600mm x 300mm x 97mm $2,022.86
GREDDY Intercooler Kits - 4 Row Front Mount $2,072.73
CAMSHAFTS-
2JZ Engine - Pair - Stage 1 Street Use (268/268 Advance, 220/220 @ 050, 374/374 Lift) $722.24
VALVE SPRINGS (you will need em for your cam swap)
CROWER 2JZ Engine - Single - Valve Spring & Titanium Retainer $337.11

this is all off nopi.com which has great import prices. sooo, your so called "2-3k" on a twin turbo setup, minus injectors cuz i didnt list em, looks like:
assuming you get the cheaper turbo upgrade kit:
$7809.48
assuming you want "500-600 horsepower":
$11,009.00

this imports make cheap horsepower crap is driving me nuts, seriously. and these ugly, long 4th gens you mocked earlier. my friend has a 99 SS, he dropped his smog, did lots of head work, a fatty cam, put a 4400 stall in with gears and some other goodies on full slicks along with 4.11's runs a 10.70 all day long, n/a. i have a video of the car. whatever floats your boat, but dont talk about putting 3000 into a supra to have 600 horsepower.
Old 06-12-2002, 12:35 AM

to whomever it was that said a supra would be a 600 horse car for 3k, ok. ill give you that. turbo, intercooler, exhaust, chip program. what about suspension? irs wont like 600 plus hp and 5000 rpm launches. what about internals? take it from someone whos seen it. saw a dyno sheet for 575 hp at the wheels. saw the guy take off, stop 100 yds later. blew a ring, split a piston and wiped a cam lobe. wasnt pretty.(yes we disassembled it right there, it was at the local speed shop.) japanese law dictates that the cars must have engines replaced at a certain mileage, which varies between models, but is generally between 40k(turbo) to 70k(3cyl na). the rusting of cars is generally because of japans extremely humid climate. the actual emissions regs are fairly lax, which is one reason we don't get many. ive heard that skylines arent even obdII yet. and yes, the next skyline will be the infiniti. many skyline purists are more than a little pissed that theyre doing away with the turbo 6 in favor of the 4.5 liter v8. its just that a slightly tweaked 4.5 will be easier to make conform to american emissions while still making power. turbo's, in general, are clean. but it is a simple physical relationship that determines a turbos usefullness. power is simply an enrgy shift. no energy is created, it simply gets transfered and utilized. 300 hp is going to require the same amount of fuel to produce, whether its a turbo6 or a v8, or a yugo four. its the amount of fuel wasted that determines how dirty an engine is before how well its burned. the problem with a turbo car is lag, the time spent under the curve. turbo cars are by neccessity low compression, which makes the ttime under the curve burn less efficiently, which creates unburnt fuel, which creates excess hydrocarbons. since american tests are low rpm, most stock turbo cars from japan wont pass. crash tests arent really an issue since most share a platform with something that already complies. a v8 has no lag, can be run with high compression, and can movea car faster in the bottom end. beyond that, most v8s are tuned to run till 6k rpm, unlike 7-8k turbo motors. that means that it will inevitably spend most of its time under 3k, for day to day driving. that means that a low rpm, 25 mph smog pull will be right near its tune, and it should pass quite easily. beyond all that, a turbo motor isnt capable of 600 hp on stock internals, just as a 1970 chevelle isnt really capable of 600 hp on stock parts. but thats what hot rodding is all about, and whether you do it to a 300zx, a tt supra, a lancer evo, or a 87 z, or a 66 nova, its all about making things faster. the only difference is, that here, in america, an 87 z will run you 3k. a 94 tt supra will run you 30k. a new 350 with forged internals will cost you 8k. a supra motor with forged internals will cost you what 12k plus shipping from somewhere in japan or possibly in the us? i can get a forged 350 twelve miles from my house. turbo upgrade? 3-4k vortech ptrim? 3-4k. power output? nearly identical, with a possible nod going to the v8 for being able to push more boost, and definately more reliably. torque? v8 hands down. price? hmmmmm i wonder style? could go either way, but i personally like the z better. you say such and such has a 650 horse 300z, supra, 3000gt, etc. wonderful. probably someone who could afford the likely 80k+ price tag. theres a guy around here with a 1100 hp diablo. again, you got the money? youre typical ***** just dont got that cash. youre about as likely to roll up next to a heavily modded turbo jap car as a lingenfelter vette. and guess which would be faster? or a hennessey venom? everyone has there supercars, ours just tend to be faster.
Old 06-12-2002, 12:37 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 Iroc Z L98
oh and by the way 11,000 into a domestic motor would be far, far, far faster.
Old 06-12-2002, 11:22 AM
Supreme Member

I'll make acomment on the "dirty Turbos".

From what I know, making a turbo car pass emissions is a little harder then a NA engine- it is possible as long as manufactures want to spend the bucks.

In the 80's therte were tons of N.American made turbo cars (mostly from Dodge) but then there were a few years (early 90s) there were almost none.

I think they are coming back because they are being used on newer engines which are far cleaner then their 80's counterparts.

And the Supra was damn exspensive- all the import tarriffs really added to the price. That killed sales and didn't justify spending money getting it
certified. (I may be a little wrong there but I think I'm essentailly correct)
Old 06-12-2002, 11:36 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Check The Sig
gents.. i dunno if this posted already.. but the lancer we are getting is no where near the evo..its going to be faster...but not the Evo....the appearence package and i think a stronger engine for the american car...i wouldnt worry.....if u dont belive me look in Motor Trend with the new viper on the cover...look in the back..in the car review section..it says we will not get the japan Evo...
Old 06-12-2002, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by 871LEIroc
I'll make acomment on the "dirty Turbos".

In the 80's therte were tons of N.American made turbo cars (mostly from Dodge) but then there were a few years (early 90s) there were almost none.
871LEIroc,

Your right. Dodge Daytona IROC R/T intercooled turbo

And to think this is what replaced the IROC-Z.

Chet

Old 06-12-2002, 02:12 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah- basically a K-car. A 149mph, 14 sec K-car though Still your (real) IROC is much cooler
Old 06-12-2002, 02:32 PM
Banned

Why did I know you people would start flaming. You obviously do not like hereing what is better then the camaro. Try LISTENING and LESS FLAMING.

"youre typical ***** just dont got that cash"
TRY READING DIP$HIT. I HAVE 2 CAMARO'S. I JUST KNOW THERE ARE BETTER CARS MADE. I also stated that given the choice betweeen a Camaro or a Twin T Supra for 25K I would easily take the Supra.

"oh and by the way 11,000 into a domestic motor would be far, far, far faster. "
Who ever said an Import guy had to spend 11K to get a fast engine/car? They do not need to spend half that.

"irs wont like 600 plus hp and 5000 rpm launches"
I know of no Twin T supra that launches at 5k RPM's. They do not need to. they launch at a more typical 27-3200. Alot like the Turbo GN's.

"but the lancer we are getting is no where near the evo..its going to be faster...but not the Evo"
No the joke that the US is getting is nothing compared to the real EVO/Lancer.

"I think they are coming back because they are being used on newer engines which are far cleaner then their 80's counterparts."
Actually they are coming back because people are no longer "Scared" of them. They now realize that todays turbo's are alot more reliable.

"my friend with a b16 swapped crx is looking for a way around the local smog laws as we speak."
Why did your freind not get a B18A?. And yes they are a legal swap. Again Companies in CALI already do this for the right $$$, that is why there have been SOOO many articles on the engine swapping guide for imports. The main thing you have to do is keep the same honda engine in a honda car, and make sure to keep the receipt(for the cops, as car theft just for the engine is on the rise)
Just to clear a few more things up.

Nopi's prices are a JOKE. I deal in the stuff, the kit they sell for what $4700 I can get for 2K.

Another thing, anyone that works with the Twin T 3.0 knows the cams are weak, they cannot take alot of torsional force. Meaning when you get to around 4-450HP they need replaced. They will not last much longer.

I(from being stationed there) know of several Twin T's running 25+ PSI on STOCK INTERNALS for over 2 years. They are still running, as I still keep in touch with a few of the people.

Guy I know brings over a '97 EVO VII(we both got transferred to NAS JAX in Fla). Spends 2 weeks finding/buying "Mirage" badges. Takes it to FLA Smog, Passes with fling colors. EVEN WITH A T06B (T5/6).
Now to clear another thing up. He bought the car new for about 16K(US) and spent another 2-2500K(US) to get the upgrades. After get got smog'd he was legal.
He finds a new vette and races it AT THE TRACK, Blows its doors off. 10.05 @165.97 to a 13.59 @ 117.53.
Granted the EVO was modded, but lets compare price tags as you people like to do. Hmm New 'Vette, 40K His EVO 19K. Given the he did not have to pay for the import shipping so add another $3K(I have found it as low as 2K however), he is still almost HALF THE PRICE.

And also to let you know there is a Company in Cali that specializes in bringing over "REAL" JDM engines and swapping them into the american conterparts. The difference in smog is a retuned chip.

I would love some of you to take your "Bad A$$ American cars" Over there and watch as you see them run circles around you.

I never said I was a "*****", I am into all cars, no matter the country of origin. If its a good performance car, I would not mind having it in my garage. Unlike some of you guys that think Americans build the best cars, I know better. There are alot better cars out there.

Last edited by Camar_Hunter_c; 06-12-2002 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-12-2002, 06:33 PM

you will notice i did not say "you" could not afford the car, i was merely commenting on price differences. a legal evo is a joke, even with badges. not to mention if the vin ever comes into question hes got a real problem, illegal import of a vehicle. thats not exactly legal. and when i say 5k launches, i mean to put it in its power band. in a race, you want to launch at peak power if you can hook it. irs isnt going to hook so a 27-3k launch is more realistic. throw on d/r's or slicks and that rear is gonna be all over the road. not to mention 22k for a 10 sec japan legal car in the us is a joke. the base lancers sell for 15k+. and the evo we get will be severely detuned, yet still cost in the just-under-30k-range. 3k in mods is not going to net you a reliable 10 sec car. im getting sick of hearing the adjustable wastegate is all you need argument. a stock lancer bottom end isnt going to handle 400 hp for very long. wonder how much itll cost to replace the internals? again i wasnt flaming, just different strokes for different folks. if you can afford to throw the cash into an econobox then go for it. and yes there are many better cars out there. but i disagree that they are japanese. i drove my lb9 HARD for 140 k, never even hiccupped. i have two friends that drove their hondas stock, with exhaust, and the engines in both crapped out before 100k. my friend went through a gs eclipse motor and a turbo motor, both in under 75k. if i wanted a genuinely high quality vehicle it couldnt be any other than german or italian. cant afford it though. again, what can you afford. my friend has a lingenfelter ss impala, he runs a 10.22. but again, its what youre likely to come up against that matters. its what is easier and cheaper for me. ive got a GRAND TOTAL of 4830 dollars into my maro, hopin for mid 13's. that includes purchase price and a complete restructuring of the car after it was stolen and stripped. now dont go preaching to me that im flaming, cuz im not. im saying that a lot of peiople instantly dismiss american cars as unreliable, heavy slow poor handling beasts. well id rather have oversteer than understeer, and im all for torque. ill give you that its heavier, but it still handles well enough. slow is a joke. reliable as a hopped up import and then some, and cheaper to fix. im just sayin that imports arent the best. although a good bmw or lambo is about the best thing goin. cant call me oneminded, i like to many different things. not many sounds like a 6 liter v12 screamin at 7200.
Old 06-12-2002, 07:19 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Camar_Hunter_c
I(from being stationed there) know of several Twin T's running 25+ PSI on STOCK INTERNALS for over 2 years. They are still running, as I still keep in touch with a few of the people.
I'm assuming you're referring to the Supra's here, and the reason they can do this is because they have stock forged internals.

Unlike some of you guys that think Americans build the best cars, I know better. There are alot better cars out there.
Hmmm. You know what, I'm sure if you asked some of the Japanese auto manufacturers, they would probably tell you the opposite. Japan has been copying American cars since their arrival. The Americans build something, then the Japanese a couple of years later, will either straight copy it, or improve the American design. If you went through a list of inventions for vehicles you would realize that the Americans invented most of it and Japan has just copied it or improved the original design.
Old 06-12-2002, 09:27 PM

iroc22,

You are totally right. We brought them over here right after WWII and took them through all our production facilities and they went back home to Japan and improved on everything we were doing.

Chet
Old 06-12-2002, 10:08 PM
Banned

Originally posted by iroc22

I'm assuming you're referring to the Supra's here, and the reason they can do this is because they have stock forged internals.

Hmmm. You know what, I'm sure if you asked some of the Japanese auto manufacturers, they would probably tell you the opposite. Japan has been copying American cars since their arrival. The Americans build something, then the Japanese a couple of years later, will either straight copy it, or improve the American design. If you went through a list of inventions for vehicles you would realize that the Americans invented most of it and Japan has just copied it or improved the original design.
Actually no I was referring to the Supra's THERE.

And funny you say they copy american designs... I could see some similarities, but very few. Like what did they mold the Skylines, EVO's Silva's after?... The "Econo boxes" look like everything out there, No matter who or what country makes them.

Yes America invented most of it, just like we invented the H and A Bomb's, the airplane, and alot of entertainment products. But we do not hold a pantent on it either. Just think where america would be if Japan had not gotten into the "American" computer?. We would still be using 486 DXs and thinking there great.

You are right though, they get some idea's from us and, yes they do improve them.
Old 06-13-2002, 12:39 AM

Car: 86 Iroc
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
To Camar_hunter

Lemme ask you a question Bro...if there are so many better cars out there...why do you drive a Camaro? Sounds to me that if you could you would drop your maro in flash. One reason i talk trash about other cars(and yes it is trash and usally BS too but its just talk) is that i LOVE Camaro's...I love the way they look...i love the way they handle and ride...and i love they way they run..and i love that they are AMERICAN MADE.....sure there are faster cars out there...thats a given...but it doesn't mean im not gonna talk trash or put down another car...so what if its faster than me...if he beats me...more power to him......But I think if your driving a Camaro/Firebird and your like well these cars suck or what have you and those cars are so much better...then dude...go get one..and sell that Camaro/Firebird to someone who is gonna appreciate the car for what it is. Not to dis ya or nothing but it just seems that you would be happier ina Import
Old 06-13-2002, 03:02 AM
Supreme Member

There seemed to be a little bit of confusion about the upcoming GTO, so here is what I feel is the most important info all in one post:

1. The GTO is based off of Holden's two door coupe, te Monaro.
2. The engine choices will be a 302 hp LS1 or a supercharged 3.8L OHV V6. There will finally be a GM performance car (vette not included) in which the base engine choice will not be an embarrasment.
3. Transmission choice is the T56 six-speed or the 4L60E four-speed auto. Good choices again.

I'm excited about the car. It continues the tradition of American muscle (even though it's really Australian) and will provide hot-rodders a solid foundation for performance. I would really hate for that heritage to die out, so this is a positive step. I'm also enthusiastic about the direction Ford is taking their Mustang, and specifically the cobra. It shows that there are still some real car guys working for American companies.
Old 06-13-2002, 02:04 PM
Banned

Re: To Camar_hunter

Originally posted by Wolfpack
Not to dis ya or nothing but it just seems that you would be happier ina Import
Actually I like my 2 camaro's but I also realize there are better cars out there.

If your asking if someone offered to give me a a better car in trade for my 2 camaro's, it would depend on the car, but if I felt it was worth it, yes I would in a heartbeat.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:10 PM
Supreme Member

I agree that 3rd gens are great platforms for going fast. CHP listed the 3rd gen as the best car for hot rodding right now. I love the way they are easier to work on are low tech or high tech capable. Parts are cheap as hell and they kind of look nice on top of it all. But what drives every man to do what he does is the ladies, and I never had any chick jump me because I had an old Firebird. Now if I had a Supra, Z8, CLK Kompressor, M3, 300ZX, Evo VII, I could actually admit to driving those cars in public and be proud. Instead I always have to say I drive a firefmdmdndf..... It's nice at the track, where people give you respect for a car like mine, but I'm sorry my friend. The 3rd gen just isn't a lady killer.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:19 PM
Banned

and I must say that my current project has me finding a 400 and rebuilding it with a 350 crank to go 377 and LOADS of torque. Right now I have found a good 400 for 150 that the guy will even warr. for 9 months. And yes I am all over it. I am also putting it in a 91 t top, and since the rear bumper cover has a tear in it I found a 80's "2.8 fuel Injection" badged one for real cheap that I am gonna put on it. Just to make people go HUH?... as I leave screaming, smoking tires off the line.

I also already have a nice set of Dart sportsman 2 heads that I am getting from the same guy for 600.

I did not say that I do not like my caamro's, I just know there are better cars.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:31 PM

Car: 86 Iroc
Engine: 305 TPI
Originally posted by ATOMonkey
It's nice at the track, where people give you respect for a car like mine, but I'm sorry my friend. The 3rd gen just isn't a lady killer.
Well my GF seems to think my IROC is a killer car...so do alot of ladies i know with some Taste. The ones that don't think 3rd gens are cool...well lets just say that they like the current trend and that would make the guy they are dating....a trend: Have fun
Old 06-13-2002, 11:52 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah dude, you must be in the wrong thirdgen.
Old 06-14-2002, 03:22 AM

Re: Re: I would be concerned, very concerned about the new Mini-Muscle Cars

Originally posted by TempesT68

This is the f-bodys last year so no the f body will not survive, the last one standing is the mustang and there back with avengince for 03' with the 390 HP cobra so atleast theres one domestic out there to carry the torch for the US
I think that the Mach 1 is much cooler. Give me solid rear axle over the crappy Ford IRS anyday. (I don't care if it has been "improved). Not only that, but a Mach 1 ran 12.89 completely stock except for drag radials--check out www.stangnet.com.

ATO, I'm not sure what you mean. My dad drives a Z06 (and a C5 and f-bodies before that), he and I built a VERY NICE Shelby Cobra replica, I could have gotten a new car (in fact, I had a new car that I sold to get the Formula), and I'll be the first to say that thirdgens are just cool! There are only a handful of cars that I would rather have. My dad loved his 92 and often makes remarks about trading me cars. While he's not serious, I'm not sure I could do it anyway. My Formula is my pride and joy. I'm king of the world when I'm working on it and driving it (at least in my mind). In short, a nice thirdgen is nothing to scoff at, but rather something to envy. I'd drive my 91 alongside an exotic anyday and be proud of what I have.

Last edited by cort351w; 06-14-2002 at 03:30 AM.
Old 06-14-2002, 03:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: too many ...
I'm sure the only person who can truely verify this is 'TheCamel' but I believe in Japan all the powerfull cars are rated @ 276 hp because thats the max allowable by the government. Keep in mind that most of these cars use forced induction (BOOST!) so tweeking the HP after you buy it is very easy ... a 276hp car could easily be a 360hp car running a safe ammount of boost (1.5 bar?) with a $250 electronic boost controller. How long the internals last is a completely different question .. but I do know that for the top end cars (EVO, Supra, Skyline) the engines are built strong for boost and can take a beating. I'm sure that anyone who knows what they're doing with these cars will rebuilt the internals with strong parts before turning up the boost.

As far as junking the engines, I heard from someone that ALL engines need to be replaced after 30k miles as a part of the emmesions laws over there. So its not because the cars are rusting out (tho I'm sure they do get rusty being on that island ... I live on an island so I should know!) but because they need to follow the emmesions laws. I'm not completely sure though ... I'll ask my friend who owns a company importing JDM engines.

Also, you've been able to buy Nissan Skylines here in the US legally for years already ... http://www.motorex.net

FEAR THE AWD CUZ IT WILL SMOKE U OFF THE LINE!!!!
Old 06-14-2002, 09:01 PM

Car: 1987 IROC
Engine: Vortec 350 TPI
Transmission: 7004r
Originally posted by MiSFiT
whata joke. 30k for twohundred and some horsepower?
30k will make one hell of a third gen.......
I LIKE this man's thinking!!! :rockon:
Old 06-15-2002, 02:50 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 C4
Engine: L98
Axle/Gears: 307
I dont know if some has mentioned it or at least someone tried to correct for it but Japan has higher "vehicle" emission standards than the USA. Their only allowed to run their cars for 30,000 miles or 3 years before they are forced to change the engine "can you call a 4 banger an engine?" or dump the car. Ive got an import engine catalog for this place up in Denver who imports import engines directly from Japan, all 30,000 miles or less.

Ricers/Import owners, bring it on!!
Old 06-15-2002, 03:53 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by unknown_host
oh and by the way 11,000 into a domestic motor would be far, far, far faster.
I'm sure that could get me into the low 10's if not high 9's and still be close to street legal
Old 06-15-2002, 04:02 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by rx7speed

I'm sure that could get me into the low 10's if not high 9's and still be close to street legal
I'm sure it would because you're working with boost.

Imagine fabricating a turbo kit for a L98 for 4K or so. Wow, that would be 9's with 14-18lbs of boost as long as the bottom end was redone with the 7K left.
Old 06-16-2002, 12:33 PM
Supreme Member

I could prolly get there a lot cheaper but this is taking the way that cost more money just to be on the safe side

you know rebuilt motor with strong insides, of course the new turbo, a haltech computer to replace the stock ECU, much larger injectors, better fuel pump, exhaust, boost controller,intercooler, stuff like that

most of it I need b/c I am running with boost but some of it is just a better be safe and put it on there just to make sure.
Old 06-16-2002, 02:01 PM
Supreme Member

Better safe than sorry especially when you are working with boost.

Plus, you will get more performance when you set up your car properly and don't shortcut.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:24 AM
Supreme Member

I agree on that one
Old 06-19-2002, 07:05 AM

Engine: slowtacular L03 305
Transmission: slushem 700r4
Originally posted by silverstreakII
evo VII--276 rated, approx. 300 trdue spec in JAPAN, us spec, approx. 250
rx-8--280 rated us hp, 0-60 5.9, 1/4 mid 14's
wrx--227 hp awd, 0-60 5.4, 1/4 14.2
350z--280+ hp us spec, 0-60 approx 5.2, 1/4 approx 14.1
skyline aka infiniti q45- 300 hp us spec, 0-60 5.1, 1/4 1.0
viper-- 500 hp, 500 lb-ft, 0-60 3.9, 1/4 11.0
z06--405 hp, 400 lb-ft, 0-60 3.9, 1/4 12.2
03 cobra--390 hp, 390 lb-ft, 0-60 4.5, 1/4 12.4 approx
peter farell rx-7, 650 horse, 620 lb ft, 0-60 3.8, 1/4 11.2
lingenfelter vette, texas spec, 900+hp, 900+ lb-ft, 0-60 1.9 1/4 mid 9's..... legal
lingenfelter s-15, 900+hp, 900+lb-ft, awd, 0-60 1.9, 1/4 mid 8's if the transmission would last a full run
vtec--weak
vvti-- just plain quick
thirdgens-- just plain cool and sexy

the true *****---- paid 90k for a brand new 290 hp nsx, ugly and slow with odd but effective handling dynamics....
the true *****---- paid 36k for an s2000 with 240 horse and 153 lb ft at 2500000000 rpm,
the true *****---- couldve had a viper or ss for that price
the true *****---- believes in zoom zoom
the true *****---- thinks a taller car handles better (civic, rsx, matrix/vibe)
the true *****---- thinks a 4 banger five door is cool
the true *****---- is awed by 165 hp
the true *****---- thinks 400 lbs makes up for 200 hp
the true *****---- belives 140 hp @ 7200 rpm is better than 345 lb-ft@2500 rpm
the true *****---- will race ANYTHING in his 17 sec 89 accord
the true *****---- adds stickers, blue lights, a wing, afart can, and rims for 400 hp

the true import guy---- is into mods
the true import guy---- has a true 12-sec rex, 3000gt vr4, wrx, etc.
the true import guy---- has a decent amount of cash to fund his import, but doesnt waste it on stickers
the true import guy---- will race a car if he thinks itll be a good race
the true import guy---- deserves respect

the true muscle car guy---- has a few muscle cars
the true muscle car guy---- may not be the fastest, but has one of the coolest pieces of history on wheels
the true muscle car guy---- only has stickers on his race car, and only when its a sponsor
the true muscle car guy---- doesnt drive like a d*ck
the true muscle car guy---- races when its fun, and worth the gas
the true muscle car guy---- realizes there are some hot imports, and spends his time making his 20-60 year old tech whoop on variable valve timing, 100hp/liter, state of the art imports just cuz

Some imports are cool, most ricers suck, and ill take anything fast, so long as its not dependant on low weight. dont wanna bog on a hill cuz my buddies just added 250 lbs to a 2400 lb car i want somethin quick, and actually i really like the new 350z, maybe ill pick one up this year
I have to say the line about the s2000 is off base a bit. They are not ment for anykind of straight line acceleration, they are built for the twisties. Besides, drive one sometime and you will change youre tune. the only honda i would drive actually. As for the fbodies and such being in trouble with the new lance evo comming that as well is off base. Its based on their rally car, if you ever watch FIA WRC (Speed channel when they aren't wasteing broadcast time with circle raceing) the cars go around corners and rely on their slide characteristics more than pure power. The cars are built for something other than straight line. While they may give our 3rd gens a damn hard spanking in somecases, they aren't going to kill the 4th gen trans ams, ss camaros and such.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:42 AM

Car: 1987 IROC
Engine: Vortec 350 TPI
Transmission: 7004r
I could never understand why people say the camaro can't handle. Do you guys not realize that even today, guys in the NASA (national auto sport assosiation) are racing stock thirdgens (with 305s) and often win in their class. They are put into the same class as the integra type r's prosche 944's 300zx's, 240z's, Rx7's and mustang 302's. (a camaro 350 is considered unfair)

The only mods the thirdgens have are springs/shocks upgrade, better brakes, K&N filter, rollcage and other saftey stuff.

since they only have 305's, they really don't have much power advantage over those 6 cylinders, yet they still win, if not dominate their class.. how??
Because they actually CAN handle!!!

I'm now on the lookout for a TPI 305/T5 camaro that I'm going to road race.
Old 06-19-2002, 04:08 PM
TGO Supporter

Engine: 5.7L V8
Transmission: 700R4
Originally posted by CrazyHawaiian
I'm sure the only person who can truely verify this is 'TheCamel' but I believe in Japan all the powerfull cars are rated @ 276 hp because thats the max allowable by the government.
It's not the government that does this, it's a 'gentlemen's agreement' between the japanese auto manufacturers.
Old 06-19-2002, 06:21 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by Jer82Z28
I could never understand why people say the camaro can't handle.
Yeah I never understood this. How can cars that are tested from .88 G's on the skidpad and upwards be considered cars that can't handle?
Old 06-19-2002, 09:21 PM
Supreme Member

what are the numbers they pull on the slolam
I'm just curious there since I have never heard that yet
Old 06-19-2002, 10:29 PM

I've been reading this post and the only Mini-Muscle car (If that is what you wanna call it) I would be concerned about is the new Pontiac GTO (Holden Monaro) from Australia that will be here in 03. It has a LS1 with optional 6-speed and is RWD. They are also about the size of a Grand Prix which is not big at all. I wouldn't be suprised if a modded one kicks my a** one day (before I finish my engine of course )
Old 06-19-2002, 10:39 PM

And then there's the 'Holden GTO'

Re: 'New GTO'

I wonder if it will live up to the tag? (something some of us will probably be re-hashing in 10-20yrs when the Firebird or Camaro name gets slapped on something new...).

After all, Impala, Monte, ... GM has a penchant for famous names on odd-choice frames...
Old 06-19-2002, 11:00 PM
Supreme Member

Originally posted by rx7speed
what are the numbers they pull on the slolam
I'm just curious there since I have never heard that yet
Made me pull out the October 99 issue of Chevy High performance. Check it out and I think you'll agree the numbers they put up are not too shabby.

In stock trim their '91 Z28 pulled these numbers:
0.88 Gs skidpad
61.7 mph slalom

After lowering the car an inch and rebuilding the rear suspension with Hotchkis pieces, the front with polyurethane bushings, and adding 17 x 9.5" rims with 275/40R-17 rubber they put up these numbers:
0.95 Gs skidpad
66.9 mph slalom

For comparison check these numbers. Notice that the slalom mph for all these cars is lower than the modded Z28's:

'99 Corvette
0.91 Gs skidpad
61.0 mph slalom

'99 Ferrari 355
0.98 Gs skidpad
64.3 mph slalom

'99 Viper GTSR
1.02 Gs skidpad
65.0 mph slalom

'99 BMW 528 S
0.83 Gs skidpad
63.1 mph slalom

'99 Lincoln LS6
0.83 Gs skidpad
63.6 mph slalom

Quick Reply: I would be concerned, very concerned about the new Mini-Muscle Cars