Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Please help w/ steering column replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2002 | 01:51 PM

Please help w/ steering column replacement!

I'm trying to replace my steering column, and am having a problem w/ re-installation. It seems that the shaft that connects the column to te steering box isn't long enough--I need at least an inch b/f the bolt holes will line up. Now, I saw that there was about an inch of play in the old column, b/c it was missing all the bearings and such inside the column. Do I hjave to remove all that stuff, and if so, where do I begin?

Nothin's ever easy...

MILT
Old 04-13-2002 | 03:47 PM

I just put mine in today....to get it in youll have to have two ppl working one under the hood and one in the car lining up the shafts....the way me and my dad did it was we jacked the car up so both tires are off the ground then you can move the shaft coming from the steering gear box back and forth...as the person in the car pushs the steering column forword the person under the hood lines them up then put them together...it took a lot of time to get it in but thats how we did it....you should also put some all purpose grease onto the shaft coming from the steering column to make it slide in easily...hope i help you a bit if i dont i posted the same topic in steering and chassis just search for steering column and youll find a lot of tips that ppl gave me......steering columns are trouble i hate putting them in