Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Please Help! 86 Grand Marques Fuel Smell Through Air Vents

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 08:36 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 C4
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 307
Please Help! 86 Grand Marques Fuel Smell Through Air Vents

Hey guys I need some help. I’ve got an 86 Grand Marques 5.0 MPI that I’m trying to get finished up and it got a bad fuel smell through the air vents when AC/Heat is on. I’ve checked the obvious, leaks in the engine compartment, fuel rails, broken injector ect. I'm leaning toward the vapor canister because it's the only thing on the car that has any fuel smell, but it’s not bad. I'm at a loss here. Its not dumping fuel and the oil is clean. The guy just bought the car and the previous owner told him it was getting 20+ mpg city, it's not now. The one thing that the new owner replaced was the fuel pump relay. The fuel pump was running on but the relay fixed it.
Any help would be VERY appreciated!

Thanks!

Clint
Old 04-10-2002, 10:55 AM

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
SSC,

Despite the possibly saturated EVAP canister, there should be a seal at the rear edge of the hood/cowl that prevents underhood air from entering the air intake for the ventilation system. Throw a constant vacuum on the EVAP canister to completely purge it and see if the odor disappears. The activated carbon in the canister should absorb all the fuel vapors and prevent any odors. It the fuel cap vent/surge valve working? New caps are relatively cheap.
Old 04-10-2002, 11:25 PM
SSC
Supreme Member

Vader,

Thanks for the reply!

I tryed to evac the old canister with no real luck so I ended up replacing it. That dident do much good as far as I can tell. I was looking at that cowl seal and it appears to be in good condition. I replaced the gas cap with a new/used one and still some fuel smell through the air vents remains. It seems to smell the worst when the heater is on, when the AC is on its not very noticeable.
I left it in the shop with all the windows rolled down so it might air out, I dunno. There still is no REAL fuel smell outside of the car. Is there anything else that I can check??

SSC
Old 04-11-2002, 09:30 AM

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
SSC,

I'm not sure whether the test is valid on Fords, but does the fuel line pressure maintain after the ignition is turned off? (Is it leaking down?) You've apparently done all the obvious things, and unless you have a tank vent line that was damaged or incorrectly connected, I'm at a loss.

Incidentally, our condolences on your loss. I apologize for not seeing that earlier.
Old 04-12-2002, 09:11 AM
SSC
Supreme Member

Vader,

Thank you!

I think it's squared away now.
The only other thing it could be at this point is a bad seal on the fuel tank sending unit but since theres very little fuel in the tank the guys just going to have to fill it up and see.

Thanks again!

SSC