Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

For the Engine builders out there- quench and TPI tuning.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2002, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the Engine builders out there- quench and TPI tuning.

I am going to start the lond and strenuous build up of my 406 very soon, and I am starting to put downs some definate plans for parts on paper. I have 2 pressing problems-

The only affordable pistons I can find for the beast have releatively low dech hights. I want to get everly last drop of power out of this motor and high compression and quench are huge parts of this engine. How should I lower the dech hight to something comperable? Mill the block? Any pistons suggestions?

The secod is the carb to Efi quandry. I want to do with a stand alone unit to mate to the Accel SuperRam I have planned. Should I use the Accel DFI with my laptop? Any one tried this? How can I compensate for the lack of signal for the original carb sensors going to the computer?

Thatks guys, I know that this is a mouthful, and I hope you guys are going to give me earfull back!
Old 04-06-2002, 03:27 PM

BTW- I am shooting for the best possible scenario of a .005 negative dech hieght for the bistons, with a fairly deep D dish.

Thanks again!
Old 04-08-2002, 02:06 PM

Bumping this... Dis appointed in the results...

Vader? Shevy Ken? You guys should know a little about this type of stuff!
Old 04-08-2002, 03:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 2005 BMW 545i
Engine: 4.4L N62B44
Transmission: 6spd auto
Axle/Gears: Rotating
well not sure on the other things like the deck and pistons

but for a stand alone comp I would go with a haltech

these things are BAD ***

if you want to see a demo of what you can do just give a ring on aim and I will pass it over to you
Old 04-08-2002, 04:03 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 87 Grand National
Engine: 3.8 SFI Turbo
Transmission: BRF 200R4
Dude, can you not spell?? Not a flame but its starting to get a little annoying. I'm guessing your just typing too damn fast. I mean you even spelled chevy wrong (shevy). What kind of compression are you wanting?? What horsepower range?? Do you want the car to be streetable?? What parts have you already bought?? I need more info. If anything you would mill the heads for more compression not the block.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by No4NJunk
Dude, can you not spell?? Not a flame but its starting to get a little annoying. I'm guessing your just typing too damn fast. I mean you even spelled chevy wrong (shevy).
I'll keep that in mend, ... wait that's mind! Lol!

He, he , he... Best case scenario- 13 cc D-dish piston and around 0.005 in., which equates to 11.7:1. That is off the top of my head. Finding a low deck hieght piston for the stock rods is the tricky part! Thus the questiom, ...(opp! there I go again)- question.

Now I am all self consious about my spelling; thanks alot! I think that it is switching from the work computer to the PC. But really, can you really type too fast? I guess I will just have to correct myself...
Old 04-10-2002, 03:38 PM

Oh, and BTW, I have done alot of homework on this engine. So I dont need help parts picking... just finding!