Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Superstitions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 03:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superstitions

That's a nice ficticious story.

I pulled off valve covers on my IROC, 70 Firebird, buddies 442, and Mustang GT---all using Castrol GTX and you can't find any indication of sludge on all 4 vehicles. In fact when my buddy bought his 442...the car wasn't pampered and had the "sludge" condition... after 4 oil change overs with Castrol...the engine meraculously was scrubbed clean...only a small amount of left over scale was present. His car now runs flawlessly...as does my 190,000 mile--original engine (daily driver) IROC..as does my Firebird and my buddies Mustang GT.

I think what happened with our Concord buddy is that he was bamboozaled by the original owner of the car, and the guy wasn't changing his oil with Castrol and/or every 3000... I hope he wasn't stupid enough to believe those quikie oil change places that CLAIM to use premium brand oil actually do... Again...."superstitions" are hard to live down...thus if he wants to throw his $$$$$$$ away on Aimsoil... it's a free country. I'll stick will my Castrol and save the extra $3 per quart.
Old 04-02-2002, 04:26 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1989 IROC-1
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700r4
I had always heard it was Quaker State, not Castrol.
Old 04-02-2002, 04:43 PM
Supreme Member

my 84 TA used castrol for the life of the car, last week when we were doing a motor swap (bigger motor,, not cause the 305 died,,cause its slow!) we pulled the pan and valve covers to put on the 350,,, not a tid bit of sludge! this thing has 149,000 miles also.
Old 04-02-2002, 04:46 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Mr. Bird:

Thank you for your insightful observations.

Having now been enlightened, I will from here on out save $3/qt on the oil in my multi-thousand dollars-worth of engines. Of course, I won't actually save anything over a year's time, because I will be changing that cheap oil and therefore the oil filters more often than I do now with my "expensive" oil. But at least I'll have more bonding time with the undercarriages of my family's 5 vehicles.

Yes, it's a free country. I will admit the Concord had SF oil in it for the first years of its life (like I said, the guy kept records and had receipts). The "majors" tended to cheap out on their efforts to meet that particular rating (10W40 oils were particularly bad offenders), so much so that the OEMs finally worked with API to get that situation rectified. The data is still out there, though, to show that even today the premium synthetics outperform pertroleum-based oils in standardized testing in all catagories. The only "test" they come out behind in is price per quart, and if that's the only test you use to pick your lubricants, then go ahead and exercise your freedom.

If you don't believe the Concord story, want to hear about the '77 Monte Carlo that had 3000 mile Pennzoil changes? Oh, well, never mind - an open mind is a terrible thing....
Old 04-02-2002, 09:31 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
five7kid - a.k.a., Kid Vicious...

Let 'em have it, 5-7.

I WILL say in defense or 70Firebird that my first Poncho 'F' car (1967) had over 150,000 miles on it when I had to tear it down after a ring problem. Although the rings were worn so thin that they turned in the grooves and scored the cylinder walls to the point where only a sleeve would repair it, the engine was very clean internally. This was likely due to my "****" habit of changing oil religiously at 3,000 mile intervals.

Since the engine was so clean, it was much more pleasurable to tear it down to repair the lubrication related failures. I'll keep usign synthetic, too - even in the lawnmowers and snowblowers.
Old 04-02-2002, 10:50 PM

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Originally posted by Vader
five7kid - a.k.a., Kid Vicious...

Let 'em have it, 5-7.
Sorry, when I see stuff like this, I just can't stop myself...
Old 04-03-2002, 12:27 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 240 Likes on 195 Posts
5-7,

You just got to the thread before I did...
Old 04-03-2002, 06:43 PM
Banned

Kid
It wasn't my intention to flame anyone... I realise that Synthetic Motor Oil is superior to conventional motor oil in certain applications. I would have to admit that if I was driving around in a $80,000-$250,000 sports car with rev potential to 7-8 grand..I would probably use the Aimsoil also. Nevertheless I only earn in the 60s...and my IROC has a blue book value of $3,000...thus I will happily use the Castrol that appears to be doing the job on my 190,000 mile IROC that has never experienced a oil fouled plug,,,,nor the bluish/white smoke on WOT or idle for that matter. When I hear people stating that they have documented that a car has been given a lifetime of Castrol GTX in 3000 mile change intervals...and have scrapped 1/4 inch of slude off the heads...I tend to get skeptical and think of alternative explainations for the sludge. There is a possibility that the original owner of the Concord might have had a oil leaking problem and was guilty of mixing different oil brands (Marvel Mystery Oil) that created the gooey stuff.