Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

HELP: PCV problems - crankcase ventilation clogged?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP: PCV problems - crankcase ventilation clogged?!

Recently I inspected the breather for vacuum -- no vacuum
I removed the PCV breather filter -- no vacuum
I removed the PCV valve -- no vacuum

I mean, no suction while the engine's idling, nothing, absolutely nothing.

I couldn't remove the hose connecting the breather to the engine. I tried to unscrew it, it didn't help, it allows for some up/down motion and seems that it supposed to be popped from the engine. I didn't try it, because if it wasn't supposed to be popped I feared I'd damage something.

Also, I keep hearing a very loud hissing noise from my engine while I am in low speeds; the higher the RPMs the less hissing I hear and it also seems to disappear after I drive the car for a while.

I recently had injector problems (twice) with always the same injector being leaky.. would a leaky injector pod cause these problems? Yesterday with Pat's (88camaro305'TBIs) help, I replaced all the gaskets, filters, o-rings and seals using that TBI carburetor kit you get from Pep Boys..

The hissing might have to do something with the injectors?
The car runs fine, no problems so far, not even with idle.

Any help is really appreciated because this truly puzzles me...

What can happen if I get no vaccum at any of the ends of crankcase ventilation?

I don't believe it's a manifold vacuum leak, but is it possible?
Old 03-19-2002, 01:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
Follow the other end of the PCV valve hose back to where it connects to the engine. It's either broken or disconnected. Get yourself a new piece of 3/8" hose and a PCV valve; that should cure all the problems you describe.
Old 03-19-2002, 01:59 PM

Hm.. Thanks, but I don't think that fixes it. I replaced the PCV valve hose and the PCV valve, I replaced the breather too.. Then, after seeing no improvement I disconnected the PCV valve completely and just put my finger on the opening to feel for suction.

Haynes says I should feel strong suction. I can't feel anything, there's no suction over there.

The (aluminum?) breather hose is the one I don't know how to disconnect (a strong pull?).

Off-topic: Also, my EGR valve diaphragm felt kind of rusty and clogged and used up (probably hasn't been changed for a decade), so I put a new EGR valve in. It definitely idles better now. There's also a new hose going from EGR to whatever that sensor is (vacuum sensor)?

Anyway, it seems there's no vacuum build-up in the crankcase, any suggestions?
Old 03-19-2002, 02:08 PM

OK, here's the picture of the hose I can't figure out how to disconnect and inspect...Sorry for the bad pic quality..
Attached Thumbnails HELP: PCV problems - crankcase ventilation clogged?!-breather-qstn-nr.jpg  
Old 03-19-2002, 02:15 PM

OK, here's where the PCV valve usually goes.. I get no suction here, and Haynes manual says I should... which leads me to believe that the crankcase is clogged or something like that??!?
Attached Thumbnails HELP: PCV problems - crankcase ventilation clogged?!-suction-qstn-nr.jpg  
Old 03-19-2002, 03:17 PM

There should be no suction there that is where the crankcase fumes are sucked out of. The sucking should be from the middle port on your TB where the rubber hose that connected to your PCV valve. The TB sucks the air out of the valve cover to remove moisture and blowby gases, fumes, ect... from the motor. Check to see if you are getting suction from the port on the TB if not check for build up that could be blocking the air flow, on an older motor there can be alot of crap and sludge that has built up in the TB PCV port where it sucks in these fumes. On the metal tube that you are trying to pull out, yes it does pull out but it is a royal pain in the **** and when I finally pulled mine out the grommet came along with it. Good luck.
Old 03-19-2002, 03:30 PM

Gulp.. hehe

My post count explains everything.
Allright, so that pretty much means that the breather hose is clogged, b/c I can feel nothing there, right?

What "advanced technique" did you use to remove the breather hose? I'm going for the centuries old method called "beef," but if anyone thinks there's a better way than just to yank it as hard as you can, please tell me
Old 03-19-2002, 05:14 PM

On my TB the clog occured in the TB itself, when you pulled the TB did you look underneath it to see if all of the passageways where clear? Try to see if there is suction on the metal nipple that sticks out of the TB that the PCV hose is connected to. In mine over 3/4 of the PCV valve passageway was clogged with sludge. It is possibe that the hose may be cloged so check both. I just yanked the snot out of the breather tube to pull mine out. Good luck!
Old 03-19-2002, 05:51 PM

Yeah, two days ago I pulled the TB out to "port" it.. The picture is from then (as you can see, the TB is missing over there).. Dremel is my friend One of the things I did was to put use a hairdryer to test the air passages out, so I think that should be OK. I checked out the TBI board and the hissing seems normal for Open Air. OK, I'll test some more and yank the breather if necessary and I'll let you know what happened. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2002, 07:12 PM

The hissing you are hearing is the iac valve when it is open, the valve is open for example when the car is cold and the computer is trying to keep it running the valve opens up and the small hole that the air travels through is similar to when you pucker your lips to whistle. Nothing to worry about just when you got rid of your stock air cleaner it wont be as muffled. Are you panning to remove the tube to replace it with a breather filter?
Old 03-19-2002, 09:39 PM

Actually, I just set my engine on fire.. A classic, the coil grounded somewhere and set the throttle body on fire. I reacted promptly with a fire extinguisher and spent the last two hours vacuuming the whole engine bay and trying to take amerex out of the critical parts...
Panicking, I lost the fuel system fuse somewhere in the mess. It seems nothing is burnt...I'll see for myself tomorrow, when RadioShack opens and I get a new 20A fuse...
Old 03-20-2002, 04:20 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89rs (previous 2.8)
Engine: 406
Transmission: 700r4 (for now)
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!:sillylol:
Old 03-20-2002, 07:11 PM

Got the fuse today. Had to crank the engine for a minute or so until it fired up and started running. Still has siliconized sodium-bicarbonate all over the place.. Looks like it should be combustible Seems to idle normally in the open loop. Didn't run it further because it shook a lot. I think I'll take the TB apart again and clean it meticulously...

Siliconized sodium-bicarbonate absorbs a lot of temperature... I was planning to change my sparks so this seems like an ideal reason to do so... Not to mention that I'll probably need a full oil change...

You live you learn

Oh, I forgot, I worked on the car for 2 days, 10 hours a day so now my back hurts so much I can barely move. Great!
Old 03-21-2002, 05:14 PM

94 SS

>Are you panning to remove the tube to replace it with a >breather filter?

I planed to do this, as I will change to an open air element and AIR Filter asembly from K&N, What is the right part (For the Breather Filter) I will need Two no?

Any model would Work?

Can I just replace the Hose With the Filter or I will need to extrack the Valve covers (Will I need new Bolts and gaskets for that)

Also Not related. What I need to have in mind If I would change the Velve Covers for aluminium ones (the ones on the 305 LO3 are Iron, or not?)

Thanks.