Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

What power adders can I do on a RamJet motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2002, 02:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What power adders can I do on a RamJet motor?

Hey guys, this is my question, what other power adders can I do with my car that will add noticable acceleration and power increases? You can look at my SIG and see what my car has in it, but I still want more acceleration and power, I was thinking of a turbo, but I have like NO room left in my engine bay at all, and I dont know how a supercharger would hook up to the ramjet. What other things can you guys suggest? let me know my speed increase options please, and make it realistic, dont go saying "BBC 454" or things like that, I am really open to suggestions.. Thanks guys!

Nate
Old 03-16-2002, 05:50 AM
Jza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could use nitrous, but you'd have to be somewhat on the conservative side (like a teeny bit more than you'd use on a stock motor), because the RamJet is a 2-bolt main block that uses hypereutetic pistons and I believe a cast crank. Not to mention it doesn't have an O² sensor, making A/F management under spray or even boost that much more iffy. The RamJet's compression ratio rules out using a turbo.

That's a kickass motor, I bet you're lovin' it. Do you have any times on it the way it is now?
Old 03-16-2002, 12:39 PM

Ill post some pics later tonite, I do not have any times on it, I just got it done a couple of months ago, I will take it down to the track this spring.

Nate

p.s. so really nothing I can do?
Old 03-16-2002, 12:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Someone came out with a kit to convert the Ramjet to closed loop, I remember reading about it, I'll see if I can find it again. That would ease your tuning pains . Also the cam that the ramjet comes with is pretty conservative, a cam upgrade might be a good idea.
Old 03-16-2002, 01:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 04 GTO
Engine: LS1
Transmission: M12 T56
As for closed loop, i dunno anything about the ECM it comes with, but you can run a RJ off a TPI computer. That's the easiest way to get closed loop.

As for adding power. Well, looks like you have a junk torque converter in there. If you can afford a SC i think you should be considering a high end torque converter. That'll be a huge difference maker for you. Also, i think the other guy is right, i think the RJ cam is on the small side. Of course, you can't do anything about that cuz i don't think you can reprogram the RJ computer to account for the cam swap. Yet another reason to convert to a TPI computer, at least you could tune it, monitor it, etc.

As for mounting a turbo/super-charger. Of course it can be done. I'm not even going to bother giving specific advice on it though, you're a little far back on the learning curve if you even had that question. I'd suggest making the most of what you have now, and learning more about forced induction, then decide how to make your move.
Old 03-17-2002, 02:24 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 2006 Silverado 1500
Engine: 5.3L
Transmission: 4L60E
the supercharger wouldn't be so bad since you could probably just use one for a tpi and modify the air ducting. what i would recomend is getting a 2500 to 3000 rpm stall speed converter and contacting i believe it's jim pace or scroggin's dickey. one of these two makes the ram jet 430hp version and can set you up with the programming to allow you to use fastburn heads and gm hotcam pushing it to 430hp. with the fastburns, hotcam, and good stall you should easily be a second faster than what you are now. while your considering parts, check into lowering rotating mass like with an aluminum driveshaft and lighter weight wheels. btw, nice engine...
Old 03-17-2002, 03:10 AM

Thanks for the info. What brand of super charger do you recommend? Wheres the best place to buy them, this will have to be a future thing, because my other car died tonite, and I dont want this camaro as my only transportation! But I definately want to get into some speed goodies... Why cant I use a turbo system? Even if I get 4lbs boost, that is still huge HP gains if you think about it. Let me know what you guys think, here is a crappy pic of my engine

Nate
Attached Thumbnails What power adders can I do on a RamJet motor?-ramjet2.jpg  
Old 03-17-2002, 04:17 AM
Jza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That was Arizona Speed and Marine that had the O² sensor retrofit kit, but that thing was something like $600 which is why I don't even count it. You can definitely run the RamJet off of a TPI computer. This is what the guy at Jim Pace suggested I do back when I was considering the RamJet as an option. I didn't know they made a high hp version, but it sounds like a good idea to me.
Old 03-17-2002, 02:07 PM
Supreme Member

i'd recomend contacting vortech or powerdyne to see about supercharging. a decent mod would be getting that air filter out of the shrouded path you've put it in to take in hot radiator air. i'd recomend building a cold air induction for it.
Old 03-17-2002, 02:13 PM

I agree about the hot air from radiator... I just dont know the best route to take on making me a cold air intake. Do you recommend a dual intake or just single? Whats the best and most effective way to make them? Thanks a bunch, Once I get some replies im going to make me a intake

Nate
Old 03-17-2002, 02:42 PM

Hey guys, I just went out and looked at my K&N, and guess what? There is absolutely no room to route a cold air intake on my car. I can take some pics and show you if you want, but the only room there is taken up with the cone air filter, you cant go up, you cant go down, and you cannot go side to side, ( belts, hoses, etc ) so I guess im stuck with the way it is, I dont have a choice?

Nate
Old 03-18-2002, 01:06 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 88 Formula
Engine: 95LT4, 305TPI
Transmission: T56, T5
If you change the fan shroud and get electric fans, you should be able to run the TPI camaro intake system on that setup.
Old 03-18-2002, 01:11 AM
Supreme Member

that is correct. if i recall gm's ram jet 3rd gen camaro used the factory tuned port air box.
Old 03-18-2002, 11:00 AM
Supreme Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
i agree with zepher and zippy. get a tpi air box assmebly from a speed density car and use that. you will need to change over to electric fans and you can most likely find the setup on the boards or ebay or even your local boneyard. not sure how you will wire them. you may have to run them manually with a switch. it will make your engine compartment look so much better too. also, those A/C lines may be a problem. i can bet you dont like the way they look,have you ever considered changing the accersories over to the later style? take a look at the Hot Rod magizine that has a good shot of the ram jet in a yellow 92 camaro.
Old 03-18-2002, 11:38 AM

Oh really? this months issue has a ramjet in a 92? I think electric would be cool, but the wiring would be a pain, and I dont know about doing it manually to a switch, I would forget. :-) my engine bay is just so tight in there, its amazing! If I put in electic fans, can I just keep them going all the time? I really want to clean up my engine bay a little, get some things cleaned up, but I like the air cond in it, its always nice in utah when its July or something. The air intake would be a great idea, i just need to figure out the electric fan stuff for that. Any other ideas?

Nate
Old 03-18-2002, 11:56 AM
Supreme Member

i think there is a tech article on here that has a wiring setup for the fans where you can turn them on manualy or have them come on when the car is on. you wil free up some hp too by doing electric since the single fan you have now is spun by the water pumpand that is more drag on the engine. here is a list of what you wil need 99% of it
electric fan setup(2 fans)
upper radiator hold down for the dual fan setup
tpi air intake setup(speed density)
lower air intake setup
2 air filters

You know,i was just thinking, for the money you will spend on all that stuff you might as well just buy a SLP dual air cold intake setup and just buy the fan setup. look around for someone that has a wrecked tpi car with dual fans and make a deal with him on the parts you need.
Old 03-18-2002, 12:08 PM
Supreme Member

I have em but the lower bracket it busted....I will gets picss of you want.....What you could do is hook BOTH fan replays to the fan switch that goes in the passenger side head. That both turn on and off at teh same time, you could also run a manual awitch too....all the switch in the passenger head does is ground out the circuit for the relays.....just tep into the wire going to that and run it to a switch inside that just grounds out the circuit when you flip it...I did that, now I have control over the fans but if I forget then the car can turn it on itself....It is very simple LOL.....

EDIT: I also have the airbox, the Fram Paper filets if you want them lol, the Lid(y shaped thing), get a some PVC, and two fercos and bingo you have a colder air intake....the box is already gutted. $100 nets it all, except the sensor(need that to keep the hole pluged up in the head while the engine is in there....but it is like $6 at the parts store. I will get some pics for ya.

I also have other parts you might want to clean up you engine bay......if you want something ask.

will get a pic of the bottom when the rain stops....

Last edited by camaro6spd; 03-18-2002 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-19-2002, 01:43 AM

So when I post in the classifieds, what exactly am I asking for? what all do I need to do electic fans, dual air inlet, etc? can you guys specify exactly what I need? let me know, thanks guys... what else can I do to clean up my engine bay and make it nicer?

Nate
Old 03-19-2002, 12:11 PM
Supreme Member

1. upper air intake lid for dual filters
2.lower air intake for the dual filters
3. upper radiator hold down bracket( long plastic thing that goes across top or radiator. has to be for a dual fan setup.
4. 2 fans

you will need a rubebr or plastic tube to connect the throtle body to the upper air intake. i do no tthink the tpi one will work due to its egg shape. it may not seal on the circular throttle body on your engine. you may have to get one for a comapny that sells superchargers or look around your area for a comapny that repairs rigs and heavy equipment. they may have this stuff around the shop. if not call supercharger company and tell them you need a peice of rubber how ever many inches long you need. just measure the disatance from the TB to the air intake piece. rememebr to measure from the outer points on both things. ithink that is all the parts you need. i do not know what wil happen to the A/C lines. they may get in the way of the hood closing now since they will be sitting on top of all this