Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Fuel injector cleaner...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 05:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's
Fuel injector cleaner...

Whats the best fuel injector cleaner that can be added to the tank... The lame a@@ injectors on my 93 s-10 with a vortec tbi engine are all fouled again and im in no mood to rip it apart again to clean them.
Old 03-15-2002, 07:31 PM
Supreme Member

hmmm... guess im not the only one who never uses this *#@! in their car...
Old 03-15-2002, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I have been told no cleaner is any good. People who clean injectors for a living will tell you they love injector cleaners. If cleaner is used from day one it is great stuff. However if you use it on an older car or high mileage car it breaks down all the varnish and deposits in the fuel tank and lines. Thats right , it goes right to the fuel filter and tiny particals go to the injector screens and plug them up. I never use the stuff anymore and have had less problems and a smoother running engine. Just my thoughts
Old 03-15-2002, 08:55 PM
Supreme Member

i knew they where bs... I did use the penzoil outlaw in an ultrasonic cleaner and it works quite well to break up the deposits, but, however, that involves removing the injectors...

btw, this is my crap freebee beater that im having all this trouble w/.
Old 03-15-2002, 10:21 PM

Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
Dimented,

Most people have never had much success with liquid injector cleaner added to the fuel. Some have, but not many.

I've never had much luck, but my theory is that for less than ten bucks it's worth a try. As long as you don't get any destructive cleaners, it shouldn't do any harm and you may just be one of the fortunate few. Avoid anything with methanol, since it can be highly corrosive and only marginal at cleaning. As a matter of fact, most alcohol based injector cleaners probably won't do much better than ethanol-blended fuel to keep injectors clean. Anything with butyl cellusolve works well, but is slow. Then there is always the risk of cleaning "junk" out of the fuel lines and rails ahead of the injectors and plugging up the inlet screens worse than they already are. It's still worth a try, but don't be surprised if the injectors don't magically return to like new condition. There's always 1,1,1 Trichloroethylene, or carbon-tetrachloride, but those will likely eat out your system hoses, pump, filter, and maybe the insulation of the injector coils. They certainly would be clean, though.

I wish Shadow were around - I'm sure he'd have some good insights.

If you can't get them flowing better with add-in injector cleaner solutions, a better solution may be Cruzin' Performance. I've always had good luck with that.
Old 03-15-2002, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI (L98)
Transmission: 700RJunk
Like the rest of those additives, injector cleaner is good preventative maintenance but it won't do anything if stuff's already screwed up. A few injectors in my gta recently puked and when i was installing a set of new ones, the old injectors were still pretty dirty when i looked at them. Of course i don't know how dirty they were before but they should have been cleaner, at least according to what it said on the bottle........