Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

traction.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002 | 05:04 PM

traction.......

ive heard that if u deflate the rear tires a bit u get more traction, so i was wandering how much do i need to deflae them , and also , does it have the same , or the opposite effect on the front tires , cuz i kinda started skidding more in rain with y front tires slightly deflated , ( but , that might be just tire wear ) so yeah, if anyone knows , please help
Old 03-12-2002 | 05:11 PM
Supreme Member

That really only applies to at the strip. For street driving deflating or over inflating any of the tires is a bad idea. They should be kept at 35psi give or take, or whatever the tire manufactuter recoomends.

It sounds like you just need new/better tires
Old 03-12-2002 | 05:12 PM
20 Year Member

Deflate them from what pressure to what pressure? Underinflated tires usually provide less traction. Adequate inflation covers a range, so it all depends on where the pressure is now (kPa or PSIG?).
Old 03-12-2002 | 05:27 PM

Not to be a dick... but if you have major traction problems with a 2.8V6 to a point where you have to ask about lowering the tire pressure... then you either have bicycle tires in the back or they're in dire need of replacement!!
Old 03-12-2002 | 08:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 Z-28
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-5 (gonna buy the farm)
If you deflate radial, non drag designed tires enough to lose any of the support that the tire provides, the traction will be less. Look at the marks left by an underinflated tire. The middle is real light if anything is there at all. You lost traction by deflating the tires. Now how of a loss of air is needed to cause this depends on the type, age, tread depth, among other things of the tire.
Old 03-13-2002 | 08:02 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 82 camaro SC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Sure you will gain traction if you deflate the tires, but only if the tires already had too much air in them. Optimum pressure depends on alot of factors. Like tire construction, tire size, vehicle weight on each tire, ...... I run 28-30 with my 245/45R16 Eagle GS-C and they wear nice and leave even burnout marks, but you probably don't have the same combination on your car so I can't say what pressure is best. Ignore the pressure rating on the side of the tire, that is just the maximum pressure at the maximum load--don't go above that pressure for sure. If you are running the stock size tire, look in the door jamb--that should list a tire pressure that will be fairly close to optimum.
Old 03-13-2002 | 03:45 PM

thnx for the replies , i just had to ask cuz i didnt really check my tire pressure sinse i bought new ires which was about 5 month ago, and no , tey arnt in a need of replacement , they have some wear , but not to the point where i have to replace them , they'r just about 5 month old , so ywah , ill check the pressure after school today