Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Moroso Oil Pan Clearance Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 09:01 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moroso Oil Pan Clearance Issues

Has anyone used the Moroso deep sump 6 quart oil pan that is "Specially designed for 1982-92 Camaros/Firebirds" (their words not mine)?

Did you run into any y-pipe clearance issues? I just dropped my motor in, and after bolting the tranny in, went to put the exhaust back up, and there is not enough room between the crossmember and pan. It seems as if the pan is now farther forward than before.

Suggestions? Solutions?

Thanks,
Old 03-10-2002, 10:06 PM

That pan leaves just enough room to fit a 2.25" pipe. Even at that it has better be pretty straight. The pipe can't come through at a slight angle or something. You might could deal with it by compressing the pipe a little forcing it in to an oval shape. This will increase for/aft clearance. I installed that pan once and was not impressed at all by it. It only leaves enough room for a 2 1/4" pipe. Good luck if you ever try to remove it in car. A stocker...maybe. Not that pan. The rails had to be bent out to allow a socket to fit on half the bolt heads. The oil pick-up also has a hard time handling braking. It is at the very rear of the pan and even full of oil the oil pressure would dive to about 10psi on hard braking. Then to top it off the dip stick went a tad past the full mark with 5 quarts of oil. How Moroso even gets away with advertising it as a 6 quart pan I have no clue. It isn't a bad oil pan but don't be surprised when you find imperfections.
Old 03-10-2002, 10:38 PM
TGO Supporter

Great...just what I wanted to hear. Bolts were not a problem as I used Hex Caps (allen head). I used the recommended oilpump pickup, so I dont think braking will be a problem. I checked the clearance between the pump pickup and the pan, and it was right on target.

Since I have Edelbrock TES 1 5/8"... the y-pipe is about 2.25" and the space between the pan and the crossmember is about 2.40", however, the pipe originally ran slightly farther to the rear than now.
Old 03-10-2002, 11:40 PM

The pick-up I used was the Moroso one listed for that pan. The clearance between it and the bottom was right as well. Nothing was wrong with the installation, oil just ran away from the pick-up. When I put the pan in I made a y-pipe for it. So I could do my best to bring it in the line with the pan. I was geared up to go 2.5" and had to toss everything away for 2.25". Happy welding.