Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

car won't start=frustration&confusion

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2002, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car won't start=frustration&confusion

I've been posting some questions about how to get my 89 started, and how to put some parts on, thinking these parts were the problem. Well I still am in the same position! It's now been about five months since I've driven the car! The whole thing started when I bought new spark plug wires. Prior to putting the new wires on, the car started fine. This was just after I put new headers, cat, exhaust on, and maf sensor. The car started fine after all this was added. The problem started after I put the new wires on. The distibutor was not turned during the process. When starting the car,it make a clicking noise . So i thought it could have been the starter, but after getting it tested it's fine. Does anyone know of any other things that could have gone wrong or bad? Just to add on, I can attempt to start the car repeatively, but it does not even turn over, it just immediately dies! It's showing no life. I have a distributor and an ignition system that I have not put on, could this help? Could it be the fuel pump? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys
Old 03-09-2002, 04:01 PM

If its clicking when you try to turn it over then its the battery. Change the cap too though. But, if its clicking, that indicates a bad battery. Have it load tested at your local parts store. Make sure they hook it to the machinse and load test it. Theyll know what to do.
Old 03-09-2002, 04:04 PM

I already checked the battery and it's good. Anything else?
Old 03-09-2002, 05:35 PM

OK, if you had it load tested, I'm not talking about testing it with a voltmeter because it will show a good charge but under load it will fail, then check all your cables to make sure they are making a good connection. The clicking means the starter doesnt have enough cranking amps to turn over. I just had a similar problem. The battery was fine when running, showed 11-12v after sitting over night, but it wouldnt start the car. Thats when I had it load tested and it ended up being bad. So if it was load tested it has to be a bad connection.
Old 03-09-2002, 05:37 PM

Just to add on, I can attempt to start the car repeatively, but it does not even turn over, it just immediately dies!

Thats a bad battery.
Old 03-09-2002, 05:41 PM

Agree with Hulk. Make sure all the cable conections are tight and clean. Also check the cables at the starter.
It has to do something with the starter not getting enough juice if it "clicks".
Old 03-10-2002, 06:22 PM

well after i read the posts u put up i went and had it load tested well i guess it usually it is at like 500 amps well my battery was at 10 amps so i went with the exide orbital battery....thanks for all your help guys i really appreciate it .
Old 03-10-2002, 06:43 PM

Keep rollin brother.