Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

high rpm = missing

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 00 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
high rpm = missing

i am running 350 injectors on my stock L03 with a chip and K&N 14x3 open element. I am running R42TS ACDelco plugs cause i was taught that colder plugs burn more gas... but my car is still missing at high revs and im almost sure its because its flooding out. Right at 4 grand is where it starts and only at WOT. i can run 4 grand in 1st gear and not miss but if i floor it and it hits 4 grand i go to 6 or 7 cylinders. What can i do to fix this.. do i need a better ignition set up or do i need a FPR... just need some help guys.... thanks
Old 03-06-2002, 11:29 PM
Supreme Member

Car: RS
Engine: 305
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.42
maybe your cat is just plain old clogged, when they clog up you loose rpms.
Old 03-07-2002, 07:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 82 camaro SC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Colder plugs burn more gas, never heard that one. Pull the plugs and take a look to see if any are different looking that the others. Too cold of plugs can cause them to foul--they won't burn off the excess crap. Install some 45's. How are the wires, cap, rotor, coil, ignition module? Have some follow and see if they see a black cloud of smoke when it misses--they will see a big cloud if it rich enough to cause it too miss. I would do a full ignition tune up. Hollow out that cat if you can get away with it.
Old 03-07-2002, 09:39 AM

you may want to check you fuel pressure, it could be that there isn't enough pressure to keep up with demand at higher rpms and you are actually leaning out

JUST A THOUGHT !!
Old 03-07-2002, 10:05 AM

Car: 00 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Well i do that that its burning rich cause i can see the black smoke from inside the car without having someone to follow me. but like i said its only at wot. I dont know if im right about the cold plug thing or not, that is what my dad taught me and he is a pretty good mechanic in my eyes but i guess anyone can be wrong. as for the cat thing it says in my sig that its not there. the module is new as is the cap rotor wires and plugs. i will try the hotter plugs but i have had the same problem with them too. its odd i know but im at a loss.. i was also reading the holley book today and they have a "high performance" ignition module. it says that some engines miss at high rpm's and it will fix it but i dont see me having a high performance engine that would need a holley module. and where would be the best place to get a fpr cause i think that might be my problem but i just hate spending money when its not needed.... give me your opinions guys