Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Oil cooler question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil cooler question

ok, I used to have DSM, and I know on those if you tighten the oil filter onto the factory cooler too tight it can rupture the grid inside, does this apply to GM's too?? because I got my new 383 back a few weeks ago, and the oil filter was so tight on there I ended up almost breaking the ratchet thing off the bottom of it (K&N filter). . . not to mention this was the old filter off my motor with a knock (tons of metal in it). . . . so basically, when I changed my oil today, all this anti-freeze poured out of the oil cooler, and I wanna know if it could be considere the shops fault, cuz now coinceidentaly, my $4000 383 has a knock after only 60 miles, and I had yet to spin it past 3K RPMs. . . I don't want legal advice cuz the shop will get theirs in the end, I just wanna know if I am justified saying that it was their fault, I mena that filter was on there VERY VERY BERY VERY tight, I had to use locking pliers to get it off, and almost ripped the car off the jack stands putting all my weight into it. . . well thanks guys
Old 02-27-2002, 09:18 PM

why didnt they take the filter off when they did the work? its most definitely their fault. but also, why didn't you take the filter off before you sent it out?
Old 02-27-2002, 09:46 PM

well I had the work done at two different places, one place pulled the motor, the other re-built it. I was completely satisfied with the machine work, everyhting went great, and the motor was sent to be put back in with a NEW FILTER (I have pictures). Well me and the shop installing it got into an argument after he broke my headers and I finished the install myself. . so I was all done, went to go prime the motor and had an oil leak (missing pressure sensor) good thing, got under the car and saw the old filter on it. . . sh*t!. so I drain the oil and it was FILLED with metal, it looked like the glitter crap girls put on their face. . so I flushed the motor with fresh oil and filter a few times to get it out and it is all good . . . so I start the motor with just water in it and everything is fine (couldn't see any oil in the water, just looked a lil dirty fron the **** in the overflow tank). . . ran it for 2 days just water before it started to get cold here and I put anti-freeze in it. well today after getting home from work it is sitting in the driveway idling and I hear a hollow knock, can't find it, wasn't the lifters, wasn't the belts, then I realize it is a rod. so I drained the oil to see if there was metal and there was, not to mention it was black with charred anti-freeze after only 50 miles. that's when I took the filter off and my garage floor got a coolant bath I am pissed, I waited almost 6 months for this thing and I only go to drive it for 2 days!!
Old 02-28-2002, 05:58 AM

anybody else think that is possible?? I was told it isn't on a GM, but there was def. coolant in my oil, and it wasn'tt eh head gasket cuz there was no smoke or overheating.