Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Legal Help??

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002 | 01:59 PM

Legal Help??

I need some help from you guys. Back in June of last year i had my mechanic put a set of the ford motorsport injectors that i purchased from summit. About 3 weeks later, my car was severely damaged in a fire. It is almost completely fixed and has cost me over 4 thousand dollars. My mechanic thinks he didn't do anything wrong and thinks it was an electrical fire. Obviously i think otherwise. Before the vehicle caught on fire it was leaking gas and when i went to start it back up it caught on fire. Luckily the motor itself wasn't harmed. I originally had my mechanic look at it and he said it wasn't worth fixing. I then wrote him a letter telling him that i thought it was his fault. He then said he wanted a fire investigator to look at it. The car was already being worked on by the guy who was hired to fix it. Now months later the car is almost fixed and i feel that i should be reimbursted for the monies i have spent to fix it. In the opinion of the people who have these cars and work on them everyday, i would like to know your opinions. Especially from those who used the same injectors. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tino
1988 Trans Am GTA 350
Old 02-18-2002 | 02:28 PM

I don't think you can have him pay for all the work. You would have to proove him guilty of incompetance or faulty workmanship or something. It will be hard to proove that the fire wasn't electrical or something else if you didn't have someone determine the cause. Plus idk how long you have waited but your time may have already run out for that case. Just my .02

Patrick DeGrosse Jr.
Old 02-18-2002 | 03:23 PM

well in CT I am pretty sure the statute of lilmitations is 7 years for lawsuits. I am not sure what it is in NY, but I am in the process of filing a complaint with the autorney general in CT over some work that was done for me, but I would say that he best you have here is a ypour word against his case. Un;less of course you have a witness such as a friend or family member that can attest to your side of the story. From the experoience I have replacing injectors, I can tell you it never happens right the first time. When I did mine I had pinched the O-rings twice before I got them right, and if they don't seat right you are loosing ALOT of fuel. I woul say go for it, in CT the limit for a small claims case is 5000 I think, and it only cost $35 to file, so if NY is the same the worse that can happen is you loose a day of your time and 35 dollars. good luck tho dude, lawsuits are a bitch.
Old 02-18-2002 | 04:58 PM
20 Year Member

Tsasso,

Not to hinder anyone from posting their opinions, but that's all you're gonna get here - just OPINIONS. I know that there are several legal professionals among our membership, and I would presume that their first advice would be to contact an attorney for a consultation. There are many areas of the country that have free legal consulting (we won't go into how that works) and you may want to outline your situation to them. They should be able to tell you if you have just cause and what information you might need to substantiate your case.

This is not to say that the skill and ability of those on the boards is not premier, but without data all you'll have is a bunch of opinions. I'm sure a defending attorney could find just as many contrary opinions somewhere else, like a garage owners' association or similar group.

The call is usually free, and may answer your questions. As a precaution, have your current mechanic save all the removed parts and detail what he/she has done to repair the vehicle. The mechanic's opinion CAN be important, so you might want to get that as well, then call for advice.