Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Intake swap done, leaking oil out the back...HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002 | 12:35 PM

Intake swap done, leaking oil out the back...HELP PLEASE!

ok so this weekend i swapped in an Edlebrock performer intake manifold, had a few issues but it's all taken care of now other than that its leaking (more like throwing up) oil out the back of the intake....its dumping a considerable amount out the back drivers side of the manifold....overnight it dropped a puddle about the size of my hand in the driveway and in only an hour of sitting after a ride a puddle a little bigger than a 50 cent piece...is there anyway i can stop this w/out taken the intake off and resealing everything again?...i really want to avoid that at all costs but i can't have it dumping oil everywhere....thanks a lot guys
Old 02-18-2002 | 01:00 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: 89 GTA
Engine: 383
Transmission: 4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12 bolt-3.73
RTV silicone. My favorite is the copper and the black.
Old 02-18-2002 | 01:45 PM

i used the RTV and fel-pro gaskets...i wiped a paper towel in the back of the manifold along the seal and it didn't pick up anything but a little dirt (no oil)...could the oil possibly be leaking out of the hole for the distributor?...when i installed it the stock distributor hold down wouldn't work so i had to use a vertical hold-down and stack a few washers in there cuz the bolt reached the bottom and wouldn't thread any further...
Old 02-18-2002 | 05:36 PM

Originally posted by BlackBird305
i used the RTV and fel-pro gaskets...i wiped a paper towel in the back of the manifold along the seal and it didn't pick up anything but a little dirt (no oil)...could the oil possibly be leaking out of the hole for the distributor?...when i installed it the stock distributor hold down wouldn't work so i had to use a vertical hold-down and stack a few washers in there cuz the bolt reached the bottom and wouldn't thread any further...
Did you install the round gasket under the distributor (should have come with your intake gaskets) ? If so, it shouldn't be leaking from there. One way to make sure youre RTV will always stick where you put it is to spray the area with brake & parts cleaner, THEN wipe with a paper towel. And repeat. And Repeat. =)
Old 02-18-2002 | 07:42 PM

well guys thanks for your help...i found the leak, on the back of the block there is an oil plug ( about a 1/4" square head threaded into the block) and the oil is comming up through there...i must have banged it or somethin during the install...i guess im gonna try to tighten it down or get it out clean everything and put a bead of permatex around the head...any other ideas?...i appreciate it