Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

the key doesn't turn past "ON". !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2002, 12:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the key doesn't turn past "ON". !!!!

well ever since i changed the front brake calipers the other day, i have had some problems getting the key to turn in the ignition. and it gets worse every day. it started out that i put the key in, and it would turn to the on position and the radio and stuff would come on, but i couldn't get it to the START position. so i would have to push in or pull out the key some and try turning it again, and it would finally turn all the way. but now im sitting there for 1-2 min trying different positions to get the key to actualy turn. i have tried a spare key that i had and it didn't help any. but one thing that does seem to be helping a little, is tilting the wheel all the way UP. and i can seem to get it started better.

i have also tried putting it in neutral thinking that may have something to do with it, since about 2-3 weeks before i started having problems i would notice that i would put it in park, and it would be fine, key came out fine and everything, but a couple times i went to start it and the started was grinding, you know that noise it makes.

so i don't know if its the ignition that is screwing up or if its the shifter or what, i thought about spraying some graphite lube in there, but im worried about that screwing up VATS.. and clues??

thanks
Old 02-09-2002, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92'Camaro RS
Engine: a loud one
Transmission: bolted to the engine
Not really sure what it is but it could be a few things. The wafers in the lock could be getting worn out as well as the springs or else the key could be worn out possibly. If the key is worn out just don't have it duplicated take it to someone who can cut it by code. But it sounds like the wafers are getting hung up inside the plug and not fully engading the sidebar in the lock. Not sure either about trying graphite powder with the vats, maybe some lab lube might be better it's a teflon powder and absolutly dry white lubricant......LAB LUBE TL-107
Old 02-09-2002, 02:29 AM

i dont know if this is a jinx..or what but i did my brakes about4 months ago..and the friggin key wouldnt turn either!!!No b.s..
i guess its a coincedence,but after about a week it left me alone..Hint..take iot to the carwash,Mine seems to like me better afterwards......
Old 02-09-2002, 02:41 AM
Jza

Hint..take iot to the carwash,Mine seems to like me better afterwards......
lol. Sometimes cars do seem like they have feelings and will give you hell if you don't pay attention to them. It's not for no reason that many people think of their cars as female.

About breathment's problem: it sounds either like the linkage in the steering column is binding on something, the key cylinder is getting worn, or the lock cable that goes to the shifter is loose or misaligned. I wish I could tell you exactly which it is, but then working on cars would be too easy, right?
Old 02-11-2002, 03:37 PM
Supreme Member

now it wont work no matter how many times i try, and the whole mechanism feels rough, how much to get the lock cylinder replaced??

also if i can get the key to the ON position, how can i get the car started? jump the terminals on the starter??????
Old 02-11-2002, 04:33 PM

Car: 92'Camaro RS
Engine: a loud one
Transmission: bolted to the engine
I can get the cylinder for like $22.00 i think ,but i don't know what you'll pay for it from a dealership or anyone else.
Old 02-11-2002, 09:23 PM
Supreme Member

come on, someone has to know something, i can't drive my freaking car!!!!!!

by the way, i talked to my uncle about the problems, and he said that it might have something to do with the shifter linkage not being in sync with whatever it should be in the steering column therefore causing the car to think its not in park and not letting it start...

Last edited by breathment; 02-11-2002 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-11-2002, 09:26 PM
Supreme Member

double post: since the site is beginning to SUCK

Last edited by breathment; 02-11-2002 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-11-2002, 09:52 PM
Supreme Member

now my post aren't going to the top.. my last post was at 9:26, but according to the main page it was at 3:37... and so of course something else it screwing up... WTF?? and its not my computer cause i just double checked it with another.