Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

engine harness

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002 | 01:16 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Z28
Engine: L98
Transmission: T56
engine harness

Anyone ever swapped engine harnesses with the car entirely assembled? Is it even possible without dismantling everything?

I am getting pretty annoyed at my 91Z. every connector forward of the firewall is so brittle that when i touch anything, it crumbles! I put new plug wires on, bumped the o2 sensor plug, it broke (wasn't even really trying to disconnect it). I put in an MSD coil, both coil connectors broke. I switched to a lower temp fan switch, and BOTH connectors crumbled (the harness side, and the original fan switch plastic end)... and when i say crumbled, i mean....5-10 pieces! really brittle. yeah, it's a little cold outside but not THAT cold (50's F). The original MAP plug is already broken too.

So for the record, I have:

broken MAP connector (wire-tied on)
broken fan temp switch connector (wire-tied on)
broken both coil connectors (pushed in, they stay in)
broken O2 sensor connector (heat-shrinked together, it's staying)

Very annoying when you can't do anything for fear of more broken connectors! If It's not practical to swap in a new harness then I guess mr. GM is going to sell me a lot of new connecters which i will have to splice in. I can do that correctly it's just time consuming and a PITA at the various connector locations!

nick
Old 02-04-2002 | 07:42 AM

Re: engine harness

broken MAP connector (wire-tied on)
broken fan temp switch connector (wire-tied on)
broken both coil connectors (pushed in, they stay in)
broken O2 sensor connector (heat-shrinked together, it's staying)

Very annoying when you can't do anything for fear of more broken connectors! If It's not practical to swap in a new harness then I guess mr. GM is going to sell me a lot of new connecters which i will have to splice in. I can do that correctly it's just time consuming and a PITA at the various connector locations!

nick [/B][/QUOTE]

I've never checked for these items at the dealership, but if the prices seem to be too high check your local parts store. Even a pepboys should have halfway decent replacements for these pieces. Just ask to see the "GM Service Pigtails".

Swapping the harness is possible with the car in one piece, yes. But chances are you'll have to dig/dissasemble around in the engine bay at the very least to get the harness out in one piece.
And putting the new one in neatly can be a challenge for those who aren't electrically minded.... It's not exactly a nightmare, but take a look at the wiring itself on your car. If it seems to be ok, and the insulation is still good and flexible (not brittle, and cracking) get a good soldering iron, some pigtails, heat shrink tubing and you'll be all set.