Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

In need of visual help

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2002 | 01:23 PM

In need of visual help

We have recently purchased a 1989 Firebird GTA, 5.7 TPI.
When we bought this car, the heads had been removed to have a valve job done. The person doing this job had lost interest in it and decided to sell it with it all apart.
I have the heads back on and the exhaust bolted up. I am getting ready to put the tune port back on, but have 4 or 5 parts (brackets, braces) that I am not sure how they go on this engine.
The a.c. compressor assembly and the alt assembly are still on the car, but I'm not sure which bolts and studs go where to mount these parts.
The water pump assembly has been unbolted and is hanging by one hose. Does the WP go on before or after the tune port? There is a bypass hose that runs from the WP to the manifold, thats why I'm not sure of what goes first,or does it matter.
We have looked at a couple of cars on the net but it doesn't really show the areas that we need well enough to get a good idea.
Is there anybody out there that lives in the San Jose CA area that has a firebird formula or a firebird with TPI that maybe we can come by and look at so I can get a better idea about where this stuff goes on this car.
If anyone out there can help, we would really appreciate it.
Thanks much...................Dan