Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Anyone ever had cruise control problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 11:33 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Car: Camaros
Anyone ever had cruise control problems?

I've posted a few questions on cruise control problems and have never gotten any replys. Just wondering if mine is the only bad one.

What parts normally go bad on these systems?
Old 02-01-2002, 12:30 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Engine: 3.8L V6 SuperCharged
yeah I have cruise control problems but that is because the previous owner did a hack job on it. It was missing the damn lever on the column. sorry I don't know really what could go bad, but I assume the vacumn diaphragm would be one of the first things to go. What kind of problems are you having?
John
Old 02-01-2002, 12:57 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 RS - Fully Restored w/Custom Int
Engine: LO3 with some mods
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Richmond
I once had a cruise control that wouldn't shut off when I hit the brakes. (Imagine the feeling you get when the car speeds up on its own after you slow down ). Ever heard a TBI rev past 5k? Thats what happened when i shifted in neutral with a stuck cruise control.

Problem turned out to be a bad brake light switch.
Old 02-01-2002, 02:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: Internal Combustion
Transmission: Completed
Axle/Gears: ones that turn.
Originally posted by Pukka
I once had a cruise control that wouldn't shut off when I hit the brakes. (Imagine the feeling you get when the car speeds up on its own after you slow down ). Ever heard a TBI rev past 5k? Thats what happened when i shifted in neutral with a stuck cruise control.

I had a similiar problem with my SC; when I hit the brake or the clutch pedal, it would cut out, then immediately re-engage when the pedal was released....it was no big deal with the weak V6; just glad it didn't have any kind of power then. The switch on the column was bad.
My solution: no more cruise= no more problems I yanked it all out when I swapped the V8 in...

Pete
Old 02-01-2002, 09:36 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: 87 Formula
Engine: 327
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
I've had cruise problems a couple of times(currently in fact). It's always been the turn signal lever. When you turn the lever for delay wipers it pulls the cruise wires against the sharp plastic edge of the lever. Since its always raining here I'm always using the wipers. Eventually it cuts the wires and the cruise quits working. Also I havent found a replacement that actually fits locally. Where does everybody get theres? The last one I modified was from napa. I eventually got everything working except resume. First time I hit resume the car just accelerated and wouldnt stop. Cut that wire then everything else worked normally.
Old 02-01-2002, 09:43 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

double

Last edited by chevymad; 02-02-2002 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-02-2002, 09:32 AM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Car: Camaros
My problem is that the cruise won't shut off. I was driving along and the car just started speeding up. I hit the brakes-nothing. I manually shut it off at the turnsignal lever-nothing. I even shut the car off and turned it back on-nothing. Every time I pushed in the clutch, the motor would just rev out. I ended up riding the brake for a few miles to my exit then shut the car off and coasted down the off ramp, started it back up and everything was fine the rest of the trip.

Then...the next day...I didn't even turn the cruise on and the car just took off speeding up. I was in 2nd gear pulling away from a stop sign and all of a sudden, it started roasting the tires! I shut the car off, turned it back on, and then it was fine agian.

After that wild ride, I decided to un-hook the cable from the diaphram until I figured out what to do.

Any ideas where to start?
Old 02-02-2002, 08:38 PM

hmm... Check to see that all the vacuum hoses are connected to the right place. (i.e., make sure there's not a constant vacuum to the diaphragm). I think there's also a little valve that sits between the vacuum source and the diaphragm that allows vacuum to pass through. That might be going bad.

It might also be the switch on the steering column. NAPA sells OEM replacements for the entire switch for under 10 dollars, I believe.
Old 02-02-2002, 09:00 PM
TGO - 10 Year Member

Anybody come up with a napa part #? I've looked and can only find the switch with the wrong plug in.
Old 02-02-2002, 09:32 PM

...Thats friggin awesome! Roasting the tires with cruise control!
I love my cruise control, funnest thing in the world, especially being in a fast car aka camaro. And when I push that button to pick up speed, man I get quite a launch! It rules, my new diss I tell people is "I can rip you with you with cruise control" hehe. My others are "I can rip you with my idle" or "I can rip you with just one of my cylinders". LOL you get the idea.