Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

WTH does this black powder come from?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 08:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTH does this black powder come from?

Hopefully someone out there will have some idea about this! As you can see in the pix below I get a fine black powder all over my engine compartment that I assume is coming from my belt. I cannot find anywhere that it may be rubbing, nor is it misaligned in any way. Has anyone seen this before and/or know how to stop it? Doesn't make much sense to have a nice looking engine and engine bay if it's under a layer of black powder!

In the first pic you can see it piled up on my power steering cap and brackets; the second pic shows it all over my Holley and intake...

I appreciate any ideas,
Steve
Old 01-26-2002, 08:56 PM

The alternator will produce some dust from the brushes.....might explain the build up on the power steering cap. But I don't know about the stuff on the Holley??? But from the pics, it looks like the front of the intake and motor are covered too.
Old 01-27-2002, 08:38 AM
Supreme Member

Exactly, the stuff pretty much covers the entire engine compartment, but you can see the heavy buildup where it hits way up on the carb, intake, and along some of the brackets.

I don't know why it does it, I'm just annoyed it's happening. Another thing I've noticed is my belt seems to stretch out pretty easily. I bought a brand new one that, when installed, pegged the "stretch indicator" at the second of the three marks. Now, after about a month, it's stretched to the point where it's halfway to the far left "stretch indicator." Why is that?

Steve
Old 01-27-2002, 10:40 AM

My guess would be it coming from the belt. Why? Not sure. But if we use some logic here maybe we can figure it out....

1st: You'll notice there is no "powder" on the front accessories (nothing on the front of the fan belt pulley). So that would eleminate anything coming from the radiator area.

2nd: You mentioned the belt is stretching at a fast rate.

3rd: Look at the underside of your hood in the area where the alternator is.... do you see the same "powder" there as well?

Like I said, seems like it's coming from the belt. I would check the free-spin on the idler pulley for the tensioner to make sure it's spinning freely. Also, how about your water pump bearings.... is that spinning freely too?
Old 01-27-2002, 11:14 AM
Supreme Member

Car: Tree Huggers
Engine: Do Not
Transmission: Appreciate Me.
Does your hood have the insulation mat still installed?