Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Backfiring Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2024, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro Iroc Z28
Engine: 305 TPI
Backfiring Issue

Hello all! I have a 85 Z28 305 TPI Auto and I am having an backfiring issue that I can't seem to figure out the cause of it. I believe the backfiring is coming from under the hood but its hard to tell the sound is very loud and it almost sound like a burble tune or something. Being honest I don't know too much when it comes to working on cars but I try my best. Down below I will explain what happens when I drove it from the beginning when I start it up:
1. On start up there is rough Idling for about 20-30 seconds then it stops
2. Then I let it warm up and start driving
3. It drives fine for a little while (like a down the street trip) when I'm in between 30-40mph and when its stop and go traffic
4. Then when I'm going 45-60mph then that's when it starts to backfire
5. The backfiring happens only when I let off the gas pedal, I can also feel the car bogging, sputtering, hesitating to get up and go when I'm lightly pressing the gas pedal, but once again the backfiring only happens when I let off the gas pedal
6. Then I pull over and come to a complete stop and wait for maybe 5-10 seconds the proceed to drive, no backfire
7. Then everything from #3 down starts happening again
I've changed the spark plugs and wires because I did have a faulty wire (I changed all but cylinder 5 because I couldn't get to it), took it to the shop and they were saying the carbon build up was the cause of the backfire so they cleaned out the build up, but the issue still happens. If anyone has any idea on what could be causing the problem please I would greatly appreciate the help. Ask me any question I'll get to them as quick as I can I'll try to answer them and the best I can.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-14-2024, 07:59 AM

Backfiring Issue

Hello all! I have a 85 Z28 305 TPI Auto and I am having an backfiring issue that I can't seem to figure out the cause of it. I believe the backfiring is coming from under the hood but its hard to tell the sound is very loud and it almost sound like a burble tune or something. Being honest I don't know too much when it comes to working on cars but I try my best. Down below I will explain what happens when I drove it from the beginning when I start it up:
3. It drives fine for a little while (like a down the street trip) when I'm in between 30-40mph and when its stop and go traffic
5. The backfiring happens only when I let off the gas pedal, I can also feel the car bogging, sputtering, hesitating to get up and go when I'm lightly pressing the gas pedal, but once again the backfiring only happens when I let off the gas pedal
6. Then I pull over and come to a complete stop and wait for maybe 5-10 seconds the proceed to drive, no backfire
I've changed the spark plugs and wires because I did have a faulty wire (I changed all but cylinder 5 because I couldn't get to it), took it to the shop and they were saying the carbon build up was the cause of the backfire so they cleaned out the build up, but the issue still happens. If anyone has any idea on what could be causing the problem please I would greatly appreciate the help. Ask me any question I'll get to them as quick as I can I'll try to answer them and the best I can.

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-14-2024, 09:30 AM
Supreme Member

Received 660 Likes on 497 Posts
Car: '83 Firebird (T/A Clone)
Engine: 350 carbed with L-69 components
Transmission: 700R-4 w/2000 RPM stall converter
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt/3.73 ..
Re: Backfiring Issue

The first thing I would suspect is the AIR pump diverter valve.
Remove the belt for the AIR pump and see if the backfiring stops...
The following 2 users liked this post by T.L.:
ironwill (08-14-2024), Jasonsbrodies (08-14-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 03:11 PM

Received 136 Likes on 114 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86

If you never changed the timing, moved the distributor etc and never replaced #5 plug wire, you may have a bad plug/wire in that position.

If you had replaced all the plug wires, I would suggest checking to see if 5 and 7 were mixed up but you said 5 was not replaced.

If you have a timing light, put the pickup onto every plug wire to make sure all the plugs are firing.

Or as mentioned above, a bad air pump diverter valve or even a bad EGR valve.
The following users liked this post:
Jasonsbrodies (08-14-2024)
Old 08-14-2024, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by AlkyIROC
If you never changed the timing, moved the distributor etc and never replaced #5 plug wire, you may have a bad plug/wire in that position.

If you had replaced all the plug wires, I would suggest checking to see if 5 and 7 were mixed up but you said 5 was not replaced.

If you have a timing light, put the pickup onto every plug wire to make sure all the plugs are firing.

Or as mentioned above, a bad air pump diverter valve or even a bad EGR valve.
Thank you for the reply! The timing was set when I had the distributor changed sometime between September and October of last year 2023, and as for the plugs and wires, the bad plug/wire was on the even cylinder side (or left when facing the front of the engine), but I still completely understand what you are saying when it comes down to it. Unfortunately I do not have a timing light to check it so for now I will have to start with removing the belt from the air pump and checking the EGR valve. I will get back to you guys with an update.

Thank you again!
Old 08-14-2024, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by T.L.
The first thing I would suspect is the AIR pump diverter valve.
Remove the belt for the AIR pump and see if the backfiring stops...
Thank you! I'll try that and get back to you with an update.
Old 08-15-2024, 01:06 PM

Received 217 Likes on 147 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: 305 LG4
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Dude, you already have the exact same thread going in the Tech/General Engine section. You have even replied to people trying to help you in that one...

Edit: this reply was originally in reply to the same thread in a different tech section. The two threads are now combined with all replies together.

Last edited by Aaron R.; 08-18-2024 at 06:47 PM.
T.L. (08-15-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 06:13 PM

I apologize. I did originally posted this here but it did not show that it posted on my end. I apologize for the double posting.
Old 08-15-2024, 06:42 PM

Hey, I haven't gotten to the car yet, but I'm not sure on how to remove the belt exactly. I tried looking it up but couldn't find removals for my exact engine.
This is how mines is set up with 3 bolts on the air pump pulley. How would I go about giving it some slack to remove it?
Old 08-15-2024, 07:33 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Car: One owner '88 IROC 50k
Engine: L98 with bolt ons.
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3:42 again

Originally Posted by Jasonsbrodies

Thanks in advance!
A bad ignition control module also can cause this.
Jasonsbrodies (08-15-2024)
Old 08-16-2024, 12:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: T5WC
Axle/Gears: 3:27

Originally Posted by daferris
A bad ignition control module also can cause this.
Jasonsbrodies (08-18-2024)
Old 08-18-2024, 12:12 PM

Ok, I was able to remove the air pump belt and when I took it on a few passes it drove fine but then it started to idle and drive rough, the engine was basically shaking the car, and started backfiring again. I also notice the temp gauge nearing 250F where usually its way under that. I'm thinking I'll check the EGR valve next and then the ICM.
Old 08-18-2024, 05:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 660 Likes on 497 Posts
Car: '83 Firebird (T/A Clone)
Engine: 350 carbed with L-69 components
Transmission: 700R-4 w/2000 RPM stall converter
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt/3.73 ..

Well, that eliminates the AIR system. The ignition module just may be the culprit...