Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Will exhaust shop install my own direct replacement cat back kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2024, 02:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Will exhaust shop install my own direct replacement cat back kit?

Will they install my own cat back, which will be a direct replacement I order from online? And what approximately will they charge for labor? I assume they won't have to do any custom work, but I could be wrong, which brings up another question.

Are the direct replacement kits really direct, or do bends or cuts or welds have to be made?

Of course I'm going to call up some shops and see what they say, but I wanted to ask here first.

Thanks !
Old 08-05-2024, 02:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,382 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Will exhaust shop install my own direct replacement cat back kit?

There no one single general universal answer to a question like that.

Will they install my own cat back?
Without even knowing what shop it is, no way we can tell you that, or even guess. No alternative butt to call around and ask. Most shops are VERY leery of installing customer-provided parts, if for no other reason than because they have no control whatsoever over what parts they're having to work with, and they end up getting dragged through the mud if there are any problems or dissatisfaction. A mom & pop is more likely to do it than a chain like Midas or something, although you just never know. Most of them will mark up anything they buy to install; part of what you're paying for in such cases, is taking care of contingencies.

what approximately will they charge for labor?
If they'll do it at all, expect something around $100/hr. Should take 2 - 3 hrs. So, expect $250 ± $50 as a budgetary figure. Of course, if they run into the "unexpected", all bets are off.

​​​​​​​Are the direct replacement kits really direct, or do bends or cuts or welds have to be made?
Some are better than others. They generally don't require bends butt may need welds. They usually don't include any of the hardware, most especially hangers though they may include clamps. Depending on what options your car has exactly, there may be adapters or other misc parts that don't come as part of a "kit" butt have to be anticipated and ordered separately. All of which goes back to why lots of shops won't install customer-supplied parts; too much chance of getting right in the middle of it all and discovering that they don't have something they can't finish it without, at which point it becomes a shouting match with the customer.

There's always a chance that something other than the parts in the "kit" have to be replaced; like if your Y-pipe is rusted through (those are NEVER part of "kits"), or your converter is messed up, or bolts break off, and so on. Our cars are ANTIQUES after all; after more than a quarter-century of use and abuse and neglect, who knows what the slings and arrows of outrageous misfortune have visited upon them.
​​​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
T.L. (08-05-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 07:26 PM

Location: Franklin, KY near Beech Bend Raceway, Corvette Plant and Museum.
Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts
Car: 1992 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 5.0L L03 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Which cat back exhaust system you looking at getting?
Old 08-05-2024, 08:40 PM

Thanks, Sofakingdom. I will be also be needing a cat back for my 4 cylinder daily driver, and no doubt the same principles apply, lol.
Old 08-05-2024, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Airwolfe
Which cat back exhaust system you looking at getting?
I am looking at a Magnaflow Brexhaust direct fit system for $333 which has resonator, intermediate pipe, muffler, and necessary hardware.

But it would be for my 2009 Nissan Versa, which is going to need it before I do my GTA.
Old 08-05-2024, 10:09 PM

Magnaflow direct fit cat back exhaust systems normally fit well, I have no idea about how they fit on a Nissan Versa though.
Old 08-05-2024, 10:17 PM
Supreme Member

I have the Hooker one on my 83. Put it on myself, laying on the ground. It fit quite well I thought, ended up being a very sanitary install. I had to cut a little (1" or less) off of some of the pipes rather than try to drive them all the way together, and I had to source a 4-bolt cat adapter for it to fit my car's L69 cat. I coulda / woulda / shoulda welded it up butt I used clamps instead, which I'm not sure was really the right decision. I didn't like the "tips" it came with (WWWWWWAAAAAAYYYYYYY too gaudy and "KROME" and utterly foreign-looking to the car, to my taste) so I used some others that looked closer to factory. I had to make a hanger bracket to fit my T-56 and the 4-bolt cat since those 2 things never came in the same car. So, yeah, even a good-fitting one like that, may not quite be a slap-in.
T.L. (08-06-2024)
Old 08-06-2024, 08:09 AM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 424 Likes on 325 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56

Why do you want a cat-back for your daily driver? Is the stock exhaust no good? Save your money for the GTA.
Old 08-06-2024, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by ShiftyCapone
Why do you want a cat-back for your daily driver? Is the stock exhaust no good? Save your money for the GTA.
The daily driver's exhaust is the original, and it's from 2009, so it's 15 years old. It works fine, just getting thin, so say the mechanics at my exhaust shop.

It has a factory defect at a flange, that rusts out, and I have to have a sleeve welded in every 5 years, approximately. Last time I had the sleeve put in, they also found that something up near the cat was rotted out, so another sleeve had to go in there. $90 cash for each sleeve. $180 total. I guess I could keep doing that every 4 or 5 years. The mechanic said he didn't know if he could put another sleeve in, by the muffler, next time, since the metal was getting so thin there.

Old 08-06-2024, 11:25 PM

Living in the rust belt must suck.

Here only thing I have to worry about is the exhaust system rusting out from the inside.
Old 08-07-2024, 08:39 AM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 424 Likes on 325 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56

Originally Posted by GTA88
The daily driver's exhaust is the original, and it's from 2009, so it's 15 years old. It works fine, just getting thin, so say the mechanics at my exhaust shop.

It has a factory defect at a flange, that rusts out, and I have to have a sleeve welded in every 5 years, approximately. Last time I had the sleeve put in, they also found that something up near the cat was rotted out, so another sleeve had to go in there. $90 cash for each sleeve. $180 total. I guess I could keep doing that every 4 or 5 years. The mechanic said he didn't know if he could put another sleeve in, by the muffler, next time, since the metal was getting so thin there.
Makes sense.
Old 08-07-2024, 08:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 450 Likes on 326 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Axle/Gears: 3.23 Posi

It's been my experience that aftermarket stuff touted as being "bolt-on" frequently isn't. YMMV.

As far as "shops" installing customer-provided parts, while I don't deal with "shops," an old friend of mine who's run a general automotive repair shop for 40+ years said he long ago stopped doing such installations; he said the headaches of non-fitting and/or poor-quality aftermarket parts wasn't worth the hassle.

Old 08-07-2024, 05:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 701 Likes on 501 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by GTA88
............. so say the mechanics at my exhaust shop.........
Really trying to not be a smartazz here, , , , , butt, , , wouldn't those mechanics be the ones to ask your question of?
How could anyone here know what your local exhaust shop will or won't do?
T.L. (08-07-2024)
Old 08-07-2024, 05:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 496 Posts
Car: '83 Firebird (T/A Clone)
Engine: 350 carbed with L-69 components
Transmission: 700R-4 w/2000 RPM stall converter
Axle/Gears: 10-bolt/3.73 ..

Call the exhaust shop & ask them...
The following 2 users liked this post by T.L.:
1989karr (08-09-2024), OrangeBird (08-07-2024)
Old 08-09-2024, 02:09 PM
Supreme Member

Received 182 Likes on 169 Posts
Car: 89' Firebird / 87' Formula
Engine: 3.4 / 5.0
Transmission: 700-R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / 3.42

My shop will...but they will charge a fee for bringing in your own parts and also offer only a warranty on their work, not the parts obviously.

You should ask what it would cost for them to do the whole thing
Old 08-09-2024, 03:34 PM
Supreme Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:27 BW 9 bolt

I'm going to be replacing my whole exhaust pretty soon too. Previous owner put a Flowmaster muffler on it with what looks like 4th Gen Z28 tips. I hate it because it drones at highway speeds. My cat converter is welded on, so I suspect it has been gutted, and then put back on to pass inspection (it used to be in Louisiana). I've read that gutted converters increase noise, and not in a good way. I just want a stock sounding exhaust, a little rubble during acceleration, then quiet on the highway. From my research it seems like the Dynomax Super Turbo is the closest to that.
Old 08-09-2024, 04:29 PM
Supreme Member

The Dynomax (Walker) is essentially stock. So yeah, pretty quiet. Not super good flow of course but there's always trade-offs.
Old 08-09-2024, 06:34 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 80schild
I'm going to be replacing my whole exhaust pretty soon too. Previous owner put a Flowmaster muffler on it with what looks like 4th Gen Z28 tips. I hate it because it drones at highway speeds. My cat converter is welded on, so I suspect it has been gutted, and then put back on to pass inspection (it used to be in Louisiana). I've read that gutted converters increase noise, and not in a good way. I just want a stock sounding exhaust, a little rubble during acceleration, then quiet on the highway. From my research it seems like the Dynomax Super Turbo is the closest to that.

Mine cat was gutted too.... difference between a Magna flow Cat and gutted wasnt that huge. this was on the old system that also had a flowmaster muffler that was mostly rotted.

I replaced it all and went with a magnaflow muffler... very nice sounding overall.. Not loud but a little rumble when you get on it.

The difference in STINK though is crazy. I could barely breathe with the gutted cat fumes....but its so much more tolerable now.

Old 08-09-2024, 07:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 87 GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3:27 BW 9 bolt

Originally Posted by 1989karr
Mine cat was gutted too.... difference between a Magna flow Cat and gutted wasnt that huge. this was on the old system that also had a flowmaster muffler that was mostly rotted.

I replaced it all and went with a magnaflow muffler... very nice sounding overall.. Not loud but a little rumble when you get on it.

The difference in STINK though is crazy. I could barely breathe with the gutted cat fumes....but its so much more tolerable now.
yeah my exhaust smells pretty strong too, especially noticeable in the garage compared to my other vehicles. Changing my valve seals and running some BG 44k though it has helped some, but I suspect that cat has no innards.
Old 08-09-2024, 07:40 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 80schild
yeah my exhaust smells pretty strong too, especially noticeable in the garage compared to my other vehicles. Changing my valve seals and running some BG 44k though it has helped some, but I suspect that cat has no innards.

Yean mine would water the eyes and set of the Co2 detector almost instantly
Old 08-09-2024, 10:25 PM
Supreme Member

difference between a Magna flow Cat and gutted wasnt that huge
^^^ This ^^^

In the earliest days of cats, they were a HORRIBLE drag on engine output. Like, installing a "test tube"

to verify the need
TO REPLACE THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER

(yes, that's pretty much how it was printed on the box) WAS YYYYUUUUUUUJJJJJJJE. Butt the introduction of the honeycomb cats changed all that. Newer ones have, for all practical purposes, a negligible impact on flow. Not sure why people "gut" the new style; there's no "there" there. Unless of course the honeycomb breaks up and starts plugging up the muffler. Which ... SUCKS. Yes I know from experience.

And they're not really all that expensive. Go ahead and put a new Magnaflow or Catco or any of those in, it'll reduce the stank and the noyyzze, and have little to no effect on performance.

Last edited by sofakingdom; 08-10-2024 at 05:39 PM.
T.L. (08-10-2024)