Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

possible coolant leek

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possible coolant leek

just a question to see if anyone can help.. about a week ago I was driving along bored along the back roads near knoxville, TN with my car I was going about 120, anyways car seemed fine, next day I started it up to go to class and there was coolant shooting out all over the ground, I looked under my hood and there was a hose which came unclamped, the hose went into what looked like a small trashcan with a lid, ( haha thats as best as I can explain it, it was very small plastic thing that had more hose coming out of it eventually disapearing next to the a/c it was about 2 inches tall) anyways I reclamped it, there was still some coolant left in the reserve tank, and not a WHOLE lot shot out, but who knows, anyways I refilled it and thought everything was ok... checked it 2 days ago and the tank was empty again so I filled it up.. now im scared to drive it cause, im hoping it will go away but seriously I dont want to drive it till I can pinpoint whats wrong and maybe fix it. Here are the specs on my car, brand new water pump, it went out over the summer, almost brand new radiator, people before me just put it in, brand new uper and lower radiator hoses... so if you guys could give me any other suggestions on what to do to isolate it or maybe I shouldnt worry than I would be more than happy, as a side note I know there was enough coolant originally when it first leaked out in the reserve tank to refill the coolant that came out of the hose.

thanks

Last edited by bklucas12; 01-16-2002 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-16-2002, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fill the radiator itself up first.. then run it. Top off the radiator and THEN fill the boil-over tank. If u find that there is little/no coolant in the radiator you may wanna replace the smaller hoses and clamps and try again. That should cure your problem.

Patrick DeGrosse Jr.