Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

What do you guys think about a 327?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 02:59 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Originally posted by giovanhalen
A 70's british bucket of bolts may not have stayed in adjustment, but that doesn't mean solid lifter valvetrains are a pain in the butt.
Two words, "Preventive Maintenance" and "Daily Driver".

Yeah, I've had buddies that also owned SBC solid cams too. It all a matter of how much you drive and how hard (i.e. revving it out). Oh, I am sure I could have "let it slide" longer, much like you could extend your oil change. I'd rather do it too often than not enough.

If you aren't prepare to check them on a regular basis, then get a hydraulic. If it is only a "fair weather" car, then a solid cam won't require that much maintenance since you won't drive it that much. But not for a daily driver that sees a fair amount of miles.
Old 01-23-2002, 03:01 PM
TGO Supporter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Death Mobile
Engine: 666 c.i.
Re: Question? What do you guys think about the 327?

Originally posted by Fat Daddy
Well, actually you do not think about the "327". You "FEEL" the "327". I feel she was a "gift" from above. Stand beside her and listen to her voice. See how quickly she reaches those high notes. She's a young man's dream. Some called her "Loco" because she was so high strung. But if you learn how to train her, she will make a "Stripper" you will never forget,,,,, Watch the "Threads, Posts, and Views" come alive when her "Name" is mentioned, exciting, stimulating,>>>>> Oh I hope they put her in the "5th GEN" so the Young Ones get to meet her,,,,,,,,,,, >MUSCLE DADDY<
Watch her get beat up by her bigger brother if built the same.
Old 01-23-2002, 06:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Glenn91L98GTA

PS: Mechanical cams are a pain in the butt. I had a solid lifter cam in a British sports car (TR6) I owned back in the mid 70s and I was constantly having to adjust the valves. I had to adjust them every month and after awhile it really got boring. I'll take a hydraulic roller any day.
It's true that the maintence factor makes the mechanical cam a pain in the butt, when you get old (j/k). My dad gets me to check the lifters on our L79 '65 Vette cause he doesnt want to anymore.

P.S. even though the Ram Jet might not run properly all the time, my impressions from riding in my Dad's friend's '65 vert Ram Jet and my Dad's '65 vert L79 (the same engine as the L84, you probably know that) is that the Ram Jet pulls harder. You can feel the difference between the two engines.