Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

A serpentine belt without the smog pump.........

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002 | 12:04 AM

A serpentine belt without the smog pump.........

I believe my smog (air) pump is n its way out. Its almost about to seize up. Is it a tough job to replace it, and how much are they? Alot of people remove there smog pumps. Do you get a smaller seperntine belt, or what mods are needed. Any prices or part numbers would be helpful.
Old 01-14-2002 | 12:13 AM

how to fix ur problem

expect to pay 15-20 bucks for a belt
Old 01-14-2002 | 02:17 AM

Car: 91 Formula
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4
It's not that hard to take the smog pump itself, but taking out the pipes from the exhaust manifolds and plugging them would take you a few hours and cut up your hands. Taking out the metal pipe that runs back to your cat is kind of a pain, too (and you'd have to close off the AIR nipple on the cat). You could just remove the pump and the AIR valve stuff sitting on the psgr valve cover and plug the hoses that brought exhaust gas from the manifolds, if you need to lose the pump, but don't want to spend a lot of time messing with it.

Why would it matter if it is "seizing up"? I don't think this should affect performance, but maybe someone else knows differently...
Old 01-14-2002 | 10:53 PM
Supreme Member

if the pulley siezes up it would melt the belt fast and break the belt...thats what he means i think...25$ for a new belt is all you have to do i hear the smog pump doesnt help reduce emissions anyways