Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

High voltage wire b/w coil and dist. cap burned out

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1994 Trans Am
Engine: 5.7L LT1
Transmission: 6-speed
High voltage wire b/w coil and dist. cap burned out

The high voltage wire carrying current from the coil to the cap burned out today on my car. I was adjusting the IAC and TPS when I noticed smoke rising from the connector on the coil. I looked at it closely and I could see the core sparking like mad. It even had a little flame on it . I shut the engine off and removed the wire; the wire was burnt to a crisp at the crimp.

Although I replaced the wire with the old one I had lying around from when I replaced all the spark plug wires, I was wondering why this happened. I replaced the cap, rotor, plugs, and wires about 20000 miles ago with quality components. The wires are Talyor Spiro Pros, cap and rotor and Accel, and plugs stock AC Delcos.

Was the wire itself defective in some way or is some other component in the ignition system faulty so as to overload that wire and burn it out? I had to switch back to my old cap also recently after the Accel cap started missing after cleaned off the green crud that had built up on the terminals inside (car runs MUCH better with the old cap). Plugs are in good shape. The only other things I can think of are the coil itself and the ignition module. Thanks in advance