Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Heat Core Leak.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002 | 06:32 PM

Car: 99 Trans Am
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4L60E
Heat Core Leak.......

I've got a leaky heater core, and it's a PITA. Whenever I turn on my defroster, my windsheild fogs up with anti-freeze. I already bought a new heater core and attempted to tear things apart. I finally gave up after an hour or so, I couldnt even get the dashpad off. Has anyone had to change their heater core before? How'd you do it? I dunno if I should try again or find a shop to do it. Any help will be appreciated......

Nate
Old 01-09-2002 | 06:44 PM
TGO Supporter

Car: 85 IROC-Z / 88 GTA
Engine: 403 LSx (Pending) / 355 Tuned Port
Transmission: T56 Magnum (Pending) / T5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 / ?
I've done it in 2 firebirds but never a camaro. In the firebirds, you can just take the lower panel off, unbolt the heater box, and squeeze the heater core out. I managed to break the cover to the heater box on my GTA, which made removal much easier.

You can supposidly get the top bolt or 2 by taking the upper dash pad off and reaching down. I never tried.
Old 01-09-2002 | 06:46 PM

Would it be possible to access it by removing the lower panel?
Old 01-10-2002 | 06:17 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 99 Formula
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 342
I know on my '86 all I had to do was remove a lower black panel, yet '86 is the only year I have heard so far it's been done like that.
Old 01-10-2002 | 07:37 AM

I have an 86 that I've done two in. You can access and remove it by just removing the underdash panel on the passenger side. Once that is out you can see the box that covers the core. Make sure the tool you use to remove the little screws is magnetic - this will make putting it back together much easier. You will also need about 8 inches worth of extensions. If you have those you don't need to take apar the whole dash.
There are only two screws on the top that you can't see.. all the others are visible. Use a flashlight and good luck.
Old 01-10-2002 | 09:34 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 350 Crate Motor
Transmission: Tremec TKO
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt 3.73
I've replaced the heater core on my 92 RS without removing the dash pad.It's that one bolt at the very top of the box that's tough!First time I did it, I broke the box, because I couldn't find that bolt, but it's certainly do-able from underneath.Just plan on standing on your head in the passenger footwell for a while.
-Rich-
Old 01-10-2002 | 10:37 PM

Damn, sounds really tough. Oh well, at least I know it's doable. I'm gonna park my Camaro for a bit, so I'll have time now to tear things apart and keep them that way if I have to. Now, where are the two hidden screws on the dashpad- incase I want to take it from that approach.
Old 01-10-2002 | 11:08 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 4
Engine: 6
Transmission: 5
No hidden screws for the dash pad... 4 at the top of the defroster ducts righta t the base of the windshield, 10 or 12 across the front edge, and it's out of there.
Old 01-11-2002 | 10:14 AM

Originally posted by RB83L69
No hidden screws for the dash pad... 4 at the top of the defroster ducts righta t the base of the windshield, 10 or 12 across the front edge, and it's out of there.
I guess those 4 were the ones I couldnt find the first time I attempted this. I easily found the ones up front, but I was wondering what was still holding the dash on, since I couldn't lift it out of there. Well, I think I'll try her tonight. Oh, BTW, I'm gonna have to drain my cooling system won't I? I can't remember what it said in my manual when I looked last.
Old 01-11-2002 | 11:31 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 RS - Fully Restored w/Custom Int
Engine: LO3 with some mods
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Richmond
You are going to have to remove the heater hoses connecting to the core at the firewall. You will probably lose some coolant, but I wouldn't drain the system entirely.......unless its been awhile since you have done it.
Old 01-11-2002 | 12:34 PM
Supreme Member

Remove the dash and the passenger side speaker and support, then the panel under the dash. If you lay on your back you will see the ecm on the left and a black box on the right. Remove that black box. It is difficult to get some of the screws, but if you have a 1/4 swivel it really helps. The hardest screw to get out is the top one. You can't really see it, just feel for it from above and you'll get it eventually. After you get that box off you have to remove this harness that has it attached to the firewall. It took me a good couple hours to remove the thing. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2002 | 03:25 PM

Start removing screws. I replaced my heater core about a month ago. I didn't have to remove the dash, but I had to losen it up enough so I could pull if forward to reach the core.

The hardest part of the job was replacing the the heater hose that ran from the core down to the radiator return pipe.
Old 01-14-2002 | 04:06 PM

Well guys, last night I finished it up. It was a major PITA, but I got her done. I took off the dash, found the 4 hidden screws by the vents. After that, I took off the lower panel, found the black box, and started workin on that. I found the 3 screws easy, but the last one was impossible. I eventually just broke the black box off from that one screw. Oh well, no one will ever see it So yeah, got that off, got the heater core out, replaced it, checked for leaks, all was good. I put it all back together, and I was a happy camper Now I just gotta get my new sound system wired, then I can start drivin her again. Yeah, I'm just glad. Here's the thing... I did just about the whole damn thing on my own. I needed some help from my dad when the heat hoses were stuck on the core ends, but other than that, it was all me. I'm glad I"m gettin some more experience w/ cars, cuz I know I'll need it. Oh well, I also wanna thank all you guys for the help. You're all great Later

Nate