Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Whats blowing up my alternator

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 08:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Car: RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9" for the ladies
Whats blowing up my alternator

Alt. went out first time. The lights went dim and the guage dropped to 1/4 charge. No problem, I replaced alt.
Everything worked fine. Drove about 5 miles. Instantly guage lights went dim and volt guage went to exact same 1/4 charge.
What is doing this. If something was touching I would think there would be smoke and that getting a new alt. shouldn't fix the problem for awhile.

Side note. I accidently touched the hot wire coming off the alternator to the valve covers for a second when taking out the first alt. This made a puff of smoke come up between the battery and the headlights(still work) on the passenger side. I can't see what it could be. Didn't look like it came off the battery. I don't see how something else can be burnt up if replacing only the alternater fixes it.
Old 01-08-2002, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this may sound stupid, but ive found that most probs are something that you want to slap yourself for later..anyway..i went through 3 alts b4 i realizied what i had done..the first alt died from natural causes..just too damn old..and i replaced it and actually have put the alt wire on backward..meaning I put the fitting on to where the side with the very little exposed wire was touching the alt casing..that actually caused the alt to be grounding out on itself and VERY quickly killing itself..may not help you at all, but check it out.
Old 01-09-2002, 06:18 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 RS - Fully Restored w/Custom Int
Engine: LO3 with some mods
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Richmond
Where are you buying your alternator from?

About a year ago mine wore out from old age and excessive load from my stereo, heater, and rear defroster.

I bought another one from Pep Boys, with a higher amp rating. Almost a year later it blew while I was driving. (It sucks when you are on a two lane road about 20 miles from anywhere with no cellphone coverage in the middle of the night when this happens....I was PRAYING to make it to civilization before it died)

Anyway, I found part of a bug stuck in the alternator coil...yes, the little critter was responsible for shorting that sucker out.

Luckily, Pep Boys has a lifetime warranty on their parts if you have the receipt ....got a new one with no hassle
Old 01-09-2002, 08:04 AM

Re: Whats blowing up my alternator

Originally posted by Aaron91RS
Side note. I accidently touched the hot wire coming off the alternator to the valve covers for a second when taking out the first alt. This made a puff of smoke come up between the battery and the headlights(still work) on the passenger side. I can't see what it could be. Didn't look like it came off the battery. I don't see how something else can be burnt up if replacing only the alternater fixes it.
there is a positve post/ junction block near the battery in the general location where you noticed the puff of smoke. sounds like you created a short there. this post is netorious for corosion. if you just take that junction apart and clean it and make sure you have a good connection, you should fix your charging problem.
Old 01-09-2002, 10:53 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you blew either that junction or the chassis ground to the battery. I've done both, so don't sweat it. Just replace them with the correct guage wiring and it will be fine.