Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

open air install? Soemthing's wrong

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 06 Toyota Tundra SR5
open air install? Soemthing's wrong

ok, bought a weiand 14" o/e cleaner....put it on, didnt notice that the bottom plate didnt fit right to my carb, ithink its too small, but tried it anyway, i put a screw in the vacuum tube from the carb that was conencted to the old intake pan, and as for the ait intake for the left valve cover, i put the breather on it just as a temp till i get a plug. It cleared just fine as I put the hood down, disconnected the negative line on the battery, put it back on to reset, started it up, drove it a block and it boged soooo bad....it had this awful loping and awful idle. When I would gun it it would almost stall the finally go a little but not very fast at all and then my exhaust started to smoke, it felt like there was a carb problem, some sort of vacuum problem. Is it because I put teh screw in teh vacuum tube? What is it??? And WTF is the IAT sensor??? Maybe thats it because there was a blue little thing still left on the stock pan, help! ARUUGHGH!
Old 01-02-2002, 07:21 PM

What color is the smoke? If it is blue, then that means it is oil. If you put the screw in the right vacuum that shouldn't be a problem, just make sure that it is in there tight.
Old 01-02-2002, 07:56 PM

yeah Im sure I put t in the right one, screwed it in all teh way and it was about 2 1/2 inches long. then taped it to another hose. But wtf is the IAT? Dont I need that, isnt that in the stock air cleaner? If I need it where do I put it and shouldnt that vacuum tube go in it? I forgot waht kind of smoke it was, but why would my oil be bad? I put on the stock air cleaner again and it worked fine, idled fine, no smoke...wtf...
Old 01-02-2002, 10:16 PM

Car: 84 T/A
Engine: 305HOL69
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
That blue thing with the A/C stamp on it isn't an IAT, it's the thermal switch for the preheater door in the snorkel on your old aircleaner (carbed engines don't use an IAT) Main purpose in that is for assisting with cold startups, and/or running in really cold weather; also an emissions thing. Sounds like another problem popped up simultaneously with your o.e. install.
Since you said the base seemed small, is it interfering with the choke, or is it pushing the secondaries open somehow? Check out all the remaining vac lines to be sure you didn't inadvertantly knock one loose? Just ideas.

Last edited by eightTfourTA; 01-02-2002 at 10:18 PM.
Old 01-02-2002, 10:56 PM

actually, sicne teh base is too small, it WAS interferring with the choke lever, it wouldnt let it go all the way up, but I didnt think it went all the way and didnt think anything of it, maybe thats it...but either way I need a bigger base, the dood said it would fit any 4bbl carb..maybe my q-jet is bigger than stock because its a different q-jet than the stock ones since it was rebuilt before i bought it as well as the engine was rebuilt.
Old 01-03-2002, 07:40 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 82 camaro SC
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Is it a drop base air cleaner? Some of those drop base air cleaners won't clear some carbs. My K&N open element has extra clearance on each side to allow room for the choke and throttle linkage--it has to be installed just right.
Old 01-03-2002, 03:49 PM

Car: 84 T/A
Engine: 305HOL69
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Originally posted by BuddyLeeX
actually, sicne teh base is too small, it WAS interferring with the choke lever, it wouldnt let it go all the way up, but I didnt think it went all the way and didnt think anything of it, maybe thats it...
The choke should open about 80-85 degrees, almost straight up. If I push my choke closed past the 45 mark my engine will start stumbling (warmed up)
Old 01-03-2002, 08:56 PM

ahh, I think you were right, I got a 1 inch adapter that actually fit my carb, and it did, put it on and it works great now, except for the breather plug I bought, it seems that the hole in the valve cover is an inch in diameter, and the diameter on the plug is 1 1/4", basturd retailer, I already put marks on it so I probably cant return it, so what Im going to do is go to the junk yard, find a breather metal tube taht was liek the on I already had, cut the end of and stick it in the breather plug, make sure its in there good, and plug it in, that should work, I beleive...