Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Anyone have any comments on UTI

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 02:43 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Pro-Built Automatic/Vigilante 2800
Anyone have any comments on UTI

I'm looking into UTI and was currious if anyone has gone through it and had any comments?
Old 12-27-2001, 04:20 PM
Supreme Member

Car: yy wife, crazy.
Engine: 350, Vortecs, 650DP
Transmission: TH-350
Axle/Gears: 8.5", 3.42
I was a "c__ hair" away from going there after I graduated high school, but my parents didn't think I was responsible enough!!!!!!

Just 'cause I did sh!tty in English, History, and Family Sociology (<- Figure that one out?!!! DUH!! ).

I did great in Driver's Ed, Auto Shop, Algebra II, and P.E. though!!!!!!! Well doing well in those classes right there tells you that I like using my mind and hands, not my butt and a pencil!!!

Well I do most of the work on Mom and Dad's cars. About 1 yr ago, Dad askes me "Why didn't you ever become a mechanic?"

GØD DAMN, did I wanna punch his freakin' lights out!!!!!!!

If you got the chance, and like working on cars, then do it!!!!!! I know I wish I could've!!!!!

AJ
Old 12-27-2001, 04:54 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At my school auto shop was tearing apart donated cars and driving to del taco during class. Some people took two hours of it senior year and did just about nothing in it..they used to wander around the school with their red del taco cups looking for something to do :p

Just do what you like and you will be happy.
Old 12-27-2001, 07:36 PM

I was looking into there Hot Rod U program also. It looks nice. But the nearest one is like 2-3 states away. It looked like fun. And im still consedering going after I graduate highschool.
Old 12-27-2001, 11:23 PM
82z

Don't even mess around with UTI or NADC or any of those schools with 9 month programs or whatever. I am currently in the high performance program at the university of Northwestern Ohio. They offer diplomas and associates degrees in diesel, automotive, and high performance. When I graduate I want to be an engine builder and machinist. So far I have taken classes in, automatic transmissions, manuals, a/c, engine repair, 2 fuel injection classes, welding, and high performance drivelines. My next class will be engine maching. A diploma takes a year and a half and an associates degree is a 2 year course. Compare that to how long a course is at UTI or any other school. Where do you think you would learn more? There is a class at northwestern that corresponds to each ase testing area. So far I have gotten my automatics, manuals, and engine repair certifications. I think you should look into this school if you are at all serious about working on cars. But why just work on cars when you can learn Custom engine building? In the hp fuel and electronincs class every student has to make a dyno pull. There is nothing like the sound of a small block hooked to a blue bottle screaming to redline on the dyno. I heard the Wyoming Uti campus is surrounded by a barbed wire fence because it is in a bad area of town. I should mention the school of automotive machinists, I want to go there after I graduate from Northwestern.
Old 12-29-2001, 11:06 AM
Supreme Member

82z,

Apparentley you didn't look into UTI very well. It's a 2 yr coarse. And when you are done, you can take the ASE test. If you pass then you're ASE Certified.

What do you see in the "Help Wanted" section? Automotive shops looking for college grads, or mechanics with ASE certification?

And IIRC, you can't get into the Hot Rod U program until you take the pre-requisite classes.

Anyway, it's not a 'fly-by-night' school. Do you really think that Hot Rod mag. would associate themselves with a school that doesn't have a good reputation?

BTW, a friend of mine has a little brother that just graduated from UTI. Before he even graduated, they had a job lined up for him with an Audi dealer. He started out making ~$15/hr. That's pretty damn good for your first job, & with no actual experiance. But that's because he's ASE certified.

AJ
Old 12-29-2001, 12:37 PM

UTI looks like a good school to me. I've even been up to the campus in Illinois. I was going to go there myself and was accepted. I decided I wasn't ready to move that far and I'm going to a local shool now. Sometimes I regret it though.

AJ, tell your parents high school grades don't amount to ****. My last two years in high school my grades were terrible. Now I get A's and B's in college.
Old 12-29-2001, 06:49 PM
Supreme Member

Aj is right I've been through some automotive courses at college and they suck the teachers don't teach and you pretty much have to bring in your own project. By the way UTI is a 12 month long course just to graduate, but if you do well enough you can get excepted into a specialty program like BMW or VW and so on then it will take you longer but once you graduate from one of those you start out at a higher salery comparared to the average mechanic, so it sort of gives you a head start. I just took a tour of the campus last week and all I can say is OH my ***!! I swear I had an errection through the whole tour, LOL only kidding, well some what. That school is awsome, expensive, but well worth the money. Most employers will pay you back for your tuition as long as you agree to work for them. If mechanics is the line of work your looking into then I say go for UTI it is by far the best training you can get. I'll be signing on within the next week.

Mark
Old 12-31-2001, 02:10 PM

Well I looked at both uti and wyotech and there was some sketchy stuff about uti that i dident like actually alot of sketchy stuff plus 2 years compaired to 9 months sucks .. im at wyotech they offer you a degree if you take there service management corse i dono for me the better school was wyotech im not even out of here yet and ive gotten job offers .. its a nice school
Old 12-31-2001, 02:34 PM
Supreme Member

I don't know how long the Arizona course is but I'm pretty sure it would be the same as the California. It's only 12 months to graduate, longer if you decide to go for specialty training but that's optional.
Old 01-01-2002, 01:36 PM
Supreme Member

LeftTurn1LE,

I wish I could tell my parents that, and that it would force them to pay my way now!!!!!!!

The bad part is that it was ~13 yrs ago, and now they'd have to make my house payment, buy my kid and wife some food, Etc. You get my point.

grafx,

Back when I was looking to go there (again--- 13 yrs ago) it was a 2 yrs course. I imagine that with all the diagnostic equipment that techs use now, that the training time is shorter. Just 'cause there's less time spent figuring out what's wrong with a car now.

EddieDellz,

I don't doubt that Wyotech is nice. I've seen commercials for that school and it does look good.

One thing I know they teach that UTI doesn't is body work. That in itself is nice.

AJ
Old 01-02-2002, 04:18 PM
Supreme Member

you can pretty much find autobody classes at any comunity college. I just took a semester of it. One of the classes I took was a flame and pinstripe taught by a pretty well known painter who has been flaming for 25 + years. He does a lot of the painting for top fuel dragsters, He does the Valvoline funny cars. If I ever get around to it I'll try and post a pic of the project I did, I flamed my dive tank.
Old 01-02-2002, 04:19 PM
Supreme Member

you can pretty much find autobody classes at any comunity college. I just took a semester of it. One of the classes I took was a flame and pinstripe taught by a pretty well known painter who has been flaming for 25 + years. He does a lot of the painting for top fuel dragsters, He does the Valvoline funny cars. If I ever get around to it I'll try and post a pic of the project I did, I flamed my dive tank.

If you plan on having any welding done on your car your better off taking an autobody class and doing it yourself. You'll save some money and learn some cool stuff.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:26 PM

Soryy man your wrong UTI does have an autobody course. Its called collision/repair and Refinish Its 51 weeks long. Any body gone to UTI and have good reports??? Im seriously considering going there. Let me know, thanks.

IROCZMAN380
Old 11-07-2003, 10:09 PM
Supreme Member

yes I did end up enrolling in UTI. For the most part I would have to say that UTI is a rip off. Now this is only if you plan on going through there basic classes and that's it. What UTI does offer that no one else does is the opportunity to be specially trained by a dealership. If you want to work for a dearship and make good money then UTI is well worth the money but the only thing that's goint to get you in to a specialty couse like this at UTI is extreamly good grades because you will be competing against other students to get in and good attendance, acually I should say perfect attendance. If you do not want to get into a specialty course or don't think you can make perfect attendance or 3.5-4.0 GPA to get into a specialty then don't waste your money.

Oh by the way I never fisished my time at UTI I still have 6 month left to go before I graduate. I was reactivated by the Marine Corps before I finished and just recently got out again for the second time. I plan I re-enrolling soon
Old 11-09-2003, 06:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1991 Corvette Coupe
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4/4L60 same trans different name
find out if any comunity colleges offer GM ASEP near you

true GM training for the true GM tech (which is not me yet )

GM ASEP is usally cheaper than most of those other "auto" schools

i learned just as much, and we focused on just GM products

you also get a paid internship

after i graduated i got a job as a saturn c-tech for $30K a year

not bad for just starting