Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Help! Can't get 88 Camaro to start!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016 | 05:23 PM

Help! Can't get 88 Camaro to start!

I recently purchased an 1988 Camaro v6 but it was sitting out for awhile and now has chewed up wires in the engine bay. I can't get power to dash but I can bump the starter and the engine will crank over. Someone help! I have looked in the steering colum and everything there is good and not chewed. Someone please help!

Last edited by Adam_espinosa; 06-16-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-19-2016 | 08:43 AM
20 Year Member

Re: Help! Can't get 88 Camaro to start!

Welcome Aboard!

You will need a chassis schematic to guide you in repairing the harness. or a replacement harness from a donor vehicle. The process could get tedious, but continuity testing of wires will probably be necessary. If repairs are done, avoid using compression terminals except inside WeatherPak sealed connectors. Strip, solder, and insulate any repair connections. The goal should be to emulate the factory harness as closely as possible for best reliability.
Old 06-19-2016 | 11:14 PM

Re: Help! Can't get 88 Camaro to start!

Wow thanks! I'm gunna try to order a new wiring harness do you know any places I can get one for my 1988 2.8l v6? The only place I see is Hawks but I can never get a call through to them
Originally Posted by Vader
Welcome Aboard!

You will need a chassis schematic to guide you in repairing the harness. or a replacement harness from a donor vehicle. The process could get tedious, but continuity testing of wires will probably be necessary. If repairs are done, avoid using compression terminals except inside WeatherPak sealed connectors. Strip, solder, and insulate any repair connections. The goal should be to emulate the factory harness as closely as possible for best reliability.