Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car wont start, fusible links

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 trans am
Engine: 350
Car wont start, fusible links

Hey guys,

I'm having an issue with my 83 firebird, 305 5 speed.

I went to start my car and it would no crank at all, after turning the key a few times the fusible link at the starter burnt up and I also lost power to my gauges and headlights. I figured the fusible link was the issue so I replaced it, and got power back to my gauges and headlights, but it still does not start and it continues to burn up the fusible link. The wire that the fusible link is burning on is the larger red one that goes to the ignition switch.

I traced the wire up to the ignition switch and did not find any shorts, I have replaced the ignition switch, the starter and a bunch of fusible links trying to solve the issue.

I also recently jumped the wire from the clutch neutral safety as the switch stopped working. It was working fine for a few weeks, not sure if this could be part of the problem.

Ive been pulling my hair out all weekend trying to figure out whats causing the problem. Any insight would help

THANKS
Old 05-16-2016, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 trans am
Engine: 350
Re: Car wont start, fusible links

Anyone Have any ideas? I'm loosing my mind!
Old 05-18-2016, 07:06 AM

Received 239 Likes on 194 Posts
Re: Car wont start, fusible links

If the fusible links keep getting replaced the problem will eventually be solved. Unfortunately it will likely be solved by fire destroying the vehicle.

It is probable that one of the accessories or its wiring has shorted, and the fuse link is trying to do its job to keep the car from burning. If the link only fails when the ignition is on the circuits downstream of the ignition switch need to be investigated. A high current ohmmeter is best for diagnosing this kind of problem. Isolate circuits by removing the fuses protecting them and test circuit resistance to ground. Something should become obvious during this checking.

It will be imperative to have a good chassis wiring diagram for your '83 to diagnose this.

Last edited by Vader; 05-18-2016 at 07:14 AM.