Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

New to me camaro won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 camaro rs
Engine: 5.0 tbi
Transmission: 700r4
New to me camaro won't start

Okay si I just bought a 1989 t-top rs with the tbi 305 with auto trans. When I got the car the battery was dead and the distributor cap was removed. I bought a new battery and put the distributor cap back on. Tried to start it and when i turned the key nothing but a loud click, kept trying the key and some times the motor would turn over, very well, and other times just the click. The car never started, every time it sounded like it was about to fire it would instantly stop turning over. I am not concerned at this moment about the car not starting as I am the click I got 90% of the times I turned the key. Now it won't turn over and I just get the loud click, I thought may be I wore the battery down so I pulled the battery and charged, I have strong headlights and windows up and down but still just get the loud click, please help!
Old 03-12-2016, 12:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: Carbed 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42
Re: New to me camaro won't start

dead battery, distributer cap removed. Has this car been sitting for any length of time? If so, at a minimum you need to replace the cap, coil, and might as well do the plugs and wires too. The click could be a few different things but my guess is its related to not getting enough spark from the coil.....so replace those first.
If the cap has been off for long and just sitting, I wouldnt fool with it and just get new goodies
Old 03-12-2016, 12:26 AM

also, check and make sure you have a good tight and corrosion free connection at the battery!
Old 03-12-2016, 12:30 AM

The guy I got the car from said it had been sitting for 8 years, also there is some relay hanging out under the dash on the driver side that makes a noise and I can feel it, umm like vibrate when I turn the key along with the loud click. I will try your suggestions soon. Thank you for the response.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:45 AM

8 years is a LONG time to sit!
It needs allot of attention.
remove the air cleaner and spray carb cleaner a little at a time into the throttle body and around the linkages, not too much, and let dry. Do this 3 or 4 times and let it sit over night to evaporate out.
Change plugs, wires, distributer cap and coil.
Most likely will need to replace battery as it probably doesnt hold a charge and that is the clicking noise you are getting, although it could also be the starter or simply not enough spark to or from the coil. Do the easy replacement parts described above and you will be much further along.
But then you need to change out everything rubber. All belts, hoses, and vacuum lines.
It will need a change of all fluids and a coolant flush as well.
Good news is, the TBI while not being the most performance oriented, is definately the most reliable once you get it back on its feet.

Last edited by DonW; 03-12-2016 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 firebird Formula 350
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: N/A, working on a t5 swap
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi

The click sounds like a starter failure to me. That would be my first guess as to why it won't turn.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by fervernt
The click sounds like a starter failure to me. That would be my first guess as to why it won't turn.
Thank you that's kind of what I am thinking as well
Old 03-14-2016, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 firebird Formula 350
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: N/A, working on a t5 swap
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi

Donw is right though , you've got your work cut out for you to make a car that sat for 8 years run right again. Everything he said is spot on and you're asking for trouble if you don't replace rubber and change fluids at the very least.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by DonW
8 years is a LONG time to sit!
It needs allot of attention.
remove the air cleaner and spray carb cleaner a little at a time into the throttle body and around the linkages, not too much, and let dry. Do this 3 or 4 times and let it sit over night to evaporate out.
Change plugs, wires, distributer cap and coil.
Most likely will need to replace battery as it probably doesnt hold a charge and that is the clicking noise you are getting, although it could also be the starter or simply not enough spark to or from the coil. Do the easy replacement parts described above and you will be much further along.
But then you need to change out everything rubber. All belts, hoses, and vacuum lines.
It will need a change of all fluids and a coolant flush as well.
Good news is, the TBI while not being the most performance oriented, is definately the most reliable once you get it back on its feet.
Thank you very much I will replace and do all of that and see how it turns out
Old 03-16-2016, 04:28 PM

Car: 92 Camaro Z28
Engine: 383
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9"

A single click sound with no turn over sounds like the starter. Have someone hold the key to turn over the car while you bang on the starter with a pry bar. Sometimes this will work when a starter is going out and you want to confirm. The other thing that causes a single click noise with no turn over is a locked engine, but sounds like thats not the case with you. If it turns but doesnt fire, you've got other issues (fuel, air, spark, timing).
Old 03-16-2016, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by CHAMARO
A single click sound with no turn over sounds like the starter. Have someone hold the key to turn over the car while you bang on the starter with a pry bar. Sometimes this will work when a starter is going out and you want to confirm. The other thing that causes a single click noise with no turn over is a locked engine, but sounds like thats not the case with you. If it turns but doesnt fire, you've got other issues (fuel, air, spark, timing).
That's what I believe is the problem is the starter for the click sound , going to pick up a new starter and see how it goes
Old 03-16-2016, 06:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac

A starting system test would pinpoint the exact problem. It could be the starter, it could be battery cable connections. Measuring voltage between the starter battery terminal post and starter frame will tell you if you're losing voltage on either side of the circuit. You should have 9 volts across the starter circuit while cranking.

DonW told you to check battery connections. That's a good place to start. Be sure that the battery cable ends are clean where they contact the battery terminals and that the side terminal bolts are clean and the heads aren't rounded off. You need to be able to tighten them firmly with a 1/4"drive 5/16" socket.

The other end of the battery cables is at the engine and the starter. Make sure those ends are clean and tight.

EDIT: If voltage tests low, and you can verify that the battery charge is good, cables connections are solid, it could be the starter drawing high current. You would need an inductive current meter to test for this. If the starter looks old , it may be better to just swap in a new one. You can also have it tested at the parts store.

Last edited by ASE doc; 03-16-2016 at 06:28 PM.