Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Bringing the 92 RS back from the dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 12:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Vortec Headed 383 9.6:1
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt Posi 3.73
Bringing the 92 RS back from the dead

Long story to short, life ran away with me and my RS has been sitting for 7-8 years (outside ). I want to get it back on the road for occasional weekend cruising and what not. What I'd like to know is, are there any areas of concern I need to focus on for repair or replacement of parts from sitting so long?

I've already rebuilt the carb and gotten a new battery. I got excited and started the car up, hadn't heard it since we bought our house in 2008. I've now read I should have pulled plugs and oiled a little before just firing it up after sitting so long and probably changed the oil first. Can't change it now though. Before I make too many more mistakes I wanted to ask you all your thoughts.

My list so far is as follows:
Replace plugs, wires, coolant and oil
Drop fuel tank clean/replace if needed
Fuel Lines and filter clean and replace worn bits
Brake Lines clean clean and replace worn bits
New tires

I'd like to do things right this time rather than hack it together like I did 12 years ago. So any insight or wisdom is appreciated.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:13 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 91 RS/ 99 T/A/ 72 Vette/ 02 Z28
Engine: LSx/ Dart400
Transmission: M6/ M6/ TH400/ 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 4.10's / 3.08/ 2.73
Re: Bringing the 92 RS back from the dead

What you listed and I would also replace the serpentine belt, check differential fluid, double check the brake calipers as one or more may leak after sitting for so long, replaced brake fluid. If the car is carburetored it may need a rebuild after sitting for so long. Check brake lines all and radiator hoses. Run the heat to see if the heater core leaks. Check brake lights, turn signals and head lights. Check tires for dry rot. Life of a Tire is often quoted at about six years before it starts to deteriorate.

Best wish on getting you RS driving again.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Vortec Headed 383 9.6:1
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt Posi 3.73

Originally Posted by Arctic White 91 RS
What you listed and I would also replace the serpentine belt, check differential fluid, double check the brake calipers as one or more may leak after sitting for so long, replaced brake fluid. If the car is carburetored it may need a rebuild after sitting for so long. Check brake lines all and radiator hoses. Run the heat to see if the heater core leaks. Check brake lights, turn signals and head lights. Check tires for dry rot. Life of a Tire is often quoted at about six years before it starts to deteriorate.

Best wish on getting you RS driving again.
Thanks for your insight. The tires are indeed beyond shot. I have rebuilt the carb and changed the oil and plugs. Trying to get an initial tune while waiting on parts for the fuel system and tires. Hoses are in much better shape than I anticipated as is most of the under hood rubber.

I hadn't considered the differential needing to be checked, the only thing I have really going for me is that the driveline was remarkably fresh when I did park it. Entire driveline had less than 2k miles on it, engine to rear. In light of possible leakage in rear diff is there anything I should consider for my tko600?
Old 03-06-2016, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 firebird
Engine: lg4
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

i would replace all fluids, change all belts/ coolant hoses, clean fuel tank and inspect/ replace all brake hardware at a minimum