Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

No Crank, No start, Security light on.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Crank, No start, Security light on.

New to the forums.
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

My issue
-lost the key a two years back
-put an aftermarket barrel and key
-no crank
-found the original key
-put the original key in the original key barrel on the orange wire with two white wires inside
-Started no problem. Drove it like that until a few weeks back.
-The original barrel was just sitting in the ash tray so i decided to finally hide it under the dash
-Put it behind the drivers side kick panel
-go to start it, no crank
-jump the battery, no crank
-notice that the wires of the old ignition barrel had come loose.
-re connect them, no crank
-do some research, measure key resistance, put the resistors in, no crank.
-When i was messing with the resistors, sometimes the security light would come on, sometimes it wouldnt.
-Try to bypass starter enable relay, bridge thicker wires on the relay behind the drivers side kick panel and still no crank

Not sure if this is a VATS issue or not. I've seen some modules with 3 wires that claim to bypass vats but still require a starter enable relay bypass.

I'm out of ideas at this point and any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Old 01-03-2016, 09:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 convertible
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 4+3 maual
Axle/Gears: 3.07
Re: No Crank, No start, Security light on.

You should at least tell us what year and model of car you have. Generally, the wiring from your ignition switch goes through either a park/neutral switch or a clutch switch depending on auto or manual trans. From there, it goes through the starter enable relay and then on to your starter solenoid. If you bypassed the starter enable relay and it still won't crank, then either your ignition switch/wires are faulty or your park/neutral safety (clutch) switch is bad. You will need an assistant to test using a voltmeter or a test light. On the starter solenoid there is a smaller purple wire which energizes the solenoid when the key is turned to start. Ground your voltmeter or test light and touch the other probe to the terminal with the purple wire. Have your assistant turn the key to start and see if you have voltage or a lit test light. If no voltage or light, you will need to find your park/neutral switch in the counsel or your clutch switch under the dash at the top of the clutch pedal arm. Test the 2 wires for voltage. If no voltage at either wire, you will need to test the wires at the starter enable relay. Check both of the heavier wires for voltage. If no voltage then go to your ignition switch and check for voltage there. If at any point you have voltage at 1 wire but not the other then that is where the circuit is broken and you will need to determine why. This is just a general set of steps to use as the exact wiring diagram and wire colors cannot be determined without knowing what year and model. If you do a search for "no crank no start" you will find a couple of threads and more info for your specific car. HTH!