Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Fast clanking/vibrating noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1982 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 2.8L V6(upcoming 350 Swap)
Transmission: "World Class" T5
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Fast clanking/vibrating noise

In my 1982 Firebird V6 when i get in and turn the key the car starts up and everything fine, except for one noise that i have no idea about. When i turn the key to ACC there is a fast vibrating noise that comes from the trunk/ left back wheel area. This continues when the car is running. Like i said, i am not familiar with this noise or any thing the would make it occur. Any thing that i should be concerned about? Thank you.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:04 PM

Re: Fast clanking/vibrating noise

Forgot to mention that as it has been getting colder, to about 20-30 degrees, the noise has gotten louder.
Old 12-30-2015, 04:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 677 Likes on 482 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by 1982firebird7
In my 1982 Firebird V6 when i get in and turn the key the car starts up and everything fine, except for one noise that i have no idea about. When i turn the key to ACC there is a fast vibrating noise that comes from the trunk/ left back wheel area. This continues when the car is running. Like i said, i am not familiar with this noise or any thing the would make it occur. Any thing that i should be concerned about? Thank you.
I'm willin to bet that someone has installed an electric fuel pump back there of the "solenoid" type (rather than the "motor type") and that is the fast vibrating noise you hear . I'd take a peek under there if I were you , just to make sure the installation don't look sketchy , loose hoseclamps , old cracked rubber fuel line , etc .

Also , I'd not leave it in the ACC position with the engine not running and the pump running . One speck of dirt in your carb's needle & seat and you'll fill your engine with gas .

PS , generally speaking , the colder it gets , the louder a lot of pumps become ...
Old 12-30-2015, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
I'm willin to bet that someone has installed an electric fuel pump back there of the "solenoid" type (rather than the "motor type") and that is the fast vibrating noise you hear . I'd take a peek under there if I were you , just to make sure the installation don't look sketchy , loose hoseclamps , old cracked rubber fuel line , etc .

Also , I'd not leave it in the ACC position with the engine not running and the pump running . One speck of dirt in your carb's needle & seat and you'll fill your engine with gas .

PS , generally speaking , the colder it gets , the louder a lot of pumps become ...
Ok, will do. Thanks!