Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

High BLM, and what is this thing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 07:30 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56 swap ongoing
Axle/Gears: 2.77 9-bolt Posi
High BLM, and what is this thing?

Now that I've gotten my USB ALDL cable, and TunerPro running on my tablet, I can begin tracking down some issues with the engine.

I keep getting the Code 44, lean O2, despite having replaced the O2 sensor with a new AC/Delco O2 sensor. BLM's are running around 150 at idle, and even during cruise, they generally stay in the 150's, with an occasional drop into the 140's.

I'm assuming I'm looking for either a vacuum leak in the manifold/plenum/vacuum lines, or a possible bad injector. It "hunts" between 450-1050 RPM when cold, and settles to 750 while warm, with an occasional sudden drop and stumble if sitting at a light for a long time. Idle is steady except for the occasional stumble, and idle quality has a slight miss noticed, which seems to disappear when underway.

PO has removed and blocked off the EGR, and removed the vacuum source to the evaporative purge solenoid.

Lastly, what is this thing? It's an '88 5.7 TPI.

What is this?
Old 12-16-2015, 06:56 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: High BLM, and what is this thing?

Which thing?
Old 12-16-2015, 06:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56 swap ongoing
Axle/Gears: 2.77 9-bolt Posi

Originally Posted by Galaxie500XL
Now that I've gotten my USB ALDL cable, and TunerPro running on my tablet, I can begin tracking down some issues with the engine.

I keep getting the Code 44, lean O2, despite having replaced the O2 sensor with a new AC/Delco O2 sensor. BLM's are running around 150 at idle, and even during cruise, they generally stay in the 150's, with an occasional drop into the 140's.

I'm assuming I'm looking for either a vacuum leak in the manifold/plenum/vacuum lines, or a possible bad injector. It "hunts" between 450-1050 RPM when cold, and settles to 750 while warm, with an occasional sudden drop and stumble if sitting at a light for a long time. Idle is steady except for the occasional stumble, and idle quality has a slight miss noticed, which seems to disappear when underway.

PO has removed and blocked off the EGR, and removed the vacuum source to the evaporative purge solenoid.

Lastly, what is this thing? It's an '88 5.7 TPI.

What is this?
The rectangular device barely hanging onto the bracket, with green wires.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:29 PM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,862 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

That's the connector for the A/C compressor.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

High BLMs means the ECM is trying to add MORE fuel than what is called for in the base fueling maps. 128 is "dead on", lower it's trying to lean the mix, higher and it's trying to richen it. I think the "lid" is 150 maximum (could be 160- to be honest, I forget), at which point it starts throwing lean O2 sensor codes.

It's also possible the injectors are not the size you think they are. Had this issue years back when we put in "30#" SVO injectors we bought off eBay. BLMs always at or near the roof. Ran the numbers on the injectors and they turned out to only be 24#. Oops. Put in the correct sized injectors and everything was kosher again.