Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Steering feels bad with TRAC On?! And wheel lockup

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering feels bad with TRAC On?! And wheel lockup

So Ive been having a annoying ptoblem with my 99' Pontiac Grand Prix SE. When at a dead stop, if I try and accelerate too fast to the left, it feels as if the front right wheel locks up. The car rumbles hard and shakes like I ran over a cinderblock. Ive also noticed whenever I turn to the left anymore than 15 degrees, it feels really stiff and kind of has a really "gunky" feel to the steering as if a bunch of thick gunk is not giving me a smooth turn. Keep in mind this only happens when turning left, to the right feels fine and I can accelerate quickly fine to the right.

So I was just playing around in my car, I turned off Traction Control, and the problem is basically gone, I can accelerate quickly while jumping into traffic while turning left, and yurn slightly left around bends without the steering wheel feeling bad or feeling like the tire locks up. When I say the steering feels bad, again it feels like a bucha "gunk" is somewhere blocking a smooth turn, also kind of has a rubber band type effect as turning the wheel back straight out of a left turn, kinda like a wheel is rubbing on something n doesnt wanna turn back smoothly (its not rubbing anything, there are no wear marks anywhere in the wheel well that I can see) . But again, none of this happens with TRAC, off. Any help?
Old 10-23-2015, 03:21 PM

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts
Car: Met. Silver 85 IROC/Sold
Engine: 350 HO Deluxe (350ci/330hp)
Transmission: T-5 (Non-WC)
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip 3.23's
Re: Steering feels bad with TRAC On?! And wheel lockup

Hey, JHutch,

Since this site is dedicated to thirdgen F-bodies (82-92), you're not likely to find the assistance you need. I regret that I can't offer another website. Perhaps a web search would be helpful.

Best of luck,

JamesC
Old 10-23-2015, 03:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI (LO3)
Transmission: WC T-5 out of an 88 T/A
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.42 & Torsen Posi

Originally Posted by JHutch440
So Ive been having a annoying ptoblem with my 99' Pontiac Grand Prix SE. When at a dead stop, if I try and accelerate too fast to the left, it feels as if the front right wheel locks up. The car rumbles hard and shakes like I ran over a cinderblock. Ive also noticed whenever I turn to the left anymore than 15 degrees, it feels really stiff and kind of has a really "gunky" feel to the steering as if a bunch of thick gunk is not giving me a smooth turn. Keep in mind this only happens when turning left, to the right feels fine and I can accelerate quickly fine to the right.

So I was just playing around in my car, I turned off Traction Control, and the problem is basically gone, I can accelerate quickly while jumping into traffic while turning left, and yurn slightly left around bends without the steering wheel feeling bad or feeling like the tire locks up. When I say the steering feels bad, again it feels like a bucha "gunk" is somewhere blocking a smooth turn, also kind of has a rubber band type effect as turning the wheel back straight out of a left turn, kinda like a wheel is rubbing on something n doesnt wanna turn back smoothly (its not rubbing anything, there are no wear marks anywhere in the wheel well that I can see) . But again, none of this happens with TRAC, off. Any help?

Sounds like torque steer maybe? I'd suggest finding a Grad Prix forum, they'd probably be much more helpful.

Also its not necessary to post about the same issue 3 times, just clogs up the forum.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:08 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56 swap ongoing
Axle/Gears: 2.77 9-bolt Posi

You might want to try W-body.com...they specialize in cars like yours.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula 305
Sounds like torque steer maybe? I'd suggest finding a Grad Prix forum, they'd probably be much more helpful.

Also its not necessary to post about the same issue 3 times, just clogs up the forum.
Sorry I had no clue this forum wasnt for all cars, and your right I did post about it before but, I figured out new things about what was causing it n fogure id post again with that updated information, I will try and find another forum, Im new at all this car stuff, I mean Im 24 been driving since 14 but this is my 1st car that has been a beater when I bought it, and Ive never really known my way around a vehicle besides being a beast behind the wheel lol. But thanks everyone and sorry!