Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014 | 05:02 PM

Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...

For the past couple months, i've been chasing a low oil pressure issue in my '93 Caprice with a LO5 350. This started post intake manifold gasket replacement. It should also be noted that post intake I didn't quite get all the air out so the motor got hot, but not into the red "danger zone" at any point. It was also only hot for about a minute, shut the car off, cooled it off, reburped the system, Retimed and off I went with no more temp issues. Driving home the next night (car sat 24 hours to let everything dry/set) once the car reached temp (180F) oil pressure would drop, ultimately leading to a stall. Checked the usual suspects, grounds, etc no issues put a mech gauge on it, it still moves down at temperature. There is ZERO noise that would be out of the ordinary, no metal on the drain plug. So began the replacing of parts. As of now I've done the following.

-Fresh oil/filter. Mobil Super 5-30 and a Delco filter
-New block pressure sender
-New dizzy with ICM
-known good, but used ESC

None have gotten me running reliably again. I would also like to think the minute or so it got hot would not cause a head gasket issue since I have good temperature currently. It should also be noted that over the summer the motor was removed and the top end refreshed with a new cam and injectors. Motor has appx 2500 miles on it since the rebuild with no prior issues except the aforementioned intake job.
Old 11-10-2014 | 05:27 PM
Supreme Member
10 Year Member

Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: Let's Talk Low Oil Pressure in a TBI...

Originally Posted by J_M93
For the past couple months, i've been chasing a low oil pressure issue in my '93 Caprice with a LO5 350. This started post intake manifold gasket replacement. It should also be noted that post intake I didn't quite get all the air out so the motor got hot, but not into the red "danger zone" at any point. It was also only hot for about a minute, shut the car off, cooled it off, reburped the system, Retimed and off I went with no more temp issues. Driving home the next night (car sat 24 hours to let everything dry/set) once the car reached temp (180F) oil pressure would drop, ultimately leading to a stall. Checked the usual suspects, grounds, etc no issues put a mech gauge on it, it still moves down at temperature. There is ZERO noise that would be out of the ordinary, no metal on the drain plug. So began the replacing of parts. As of now I've done the following.

-Fresh oil/filter. Mobil Super 5-30 and a Delco filter
-New block pressure sender
-New dizzy with ICM
-known good, but used ESC

None have gotten me running reliably again. I would also like to think the minute or so it got hot would not cause a head gasket issue since I have good temperature currently. It should also be noted that over the summer the motor was removed and the top end refreshed with a new cam and injectors. Motor has appx 2500 miles on it since the rebuild with no prior issues except the aforementioned intake job.
You never mentioned the actual pressure , so , just how low is it ?

And , If it IS too low , my second question would be ; Did new cam bearings come along with the new cam ?
Old 11-10-2014 | 05:31 PM

It hits 10 psi and then stalls. No, no new bearings, just did the cam and new lifters.
Old 11-10-2014 | 06:27 PM
Supreme Member

So does the fuel pump stop working? What are you loosing (spark, fuel, or injector pulse)?
Old 11-10-2014 | 06:29 PM

To be honest, I'm not sure since the car needs to be in drive and at stop for the car to stall. So it's hard to diagnose what I'm losing from the drivers seat. Besides my sanity from this car.