Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Engine cuts out mid driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine cuts out mid driving

Hi everyone,

I could really use some help here as I don’t even know where to begin with the problem I am having. I have been searching thirdgen and other forums and can’t seem to find the answer anywhere.

I have a 91 Firebird, 305 V8 TBI. It is a Knight Rider replica, so I don’t have the instrument cluster but all the lights etc (such as the check engine light) are wired up to an appropriate LED.

My car runs fine most of the time, but recently the engine cut out while driving and would not restart immediately. When turning the key a few moments after it cuts out, nothing happens i.e. you can’t hear the starter motor engaging (which ordinarily would mean a lack of power). Turning the key literally does nothing except power on the dash. This has happened twice now and on both occasions I have been stuck in traffic, or waiting for someone for a lengthy period of time (10+ mins) i.e. the car has been idling or driving very slowly, which may have allowed it to get it hot. On the first occasion, I parked the car up, disconnected the battery, left it for 20-30 mins, reconnected and it started up absolutely fine. I did a few journeys post that and all was fine. On the second occasion, I left it 5 mins (after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery), and the starter motor engaged but the engine could not quite start. It sounded like it was nearly there, but then stalled. Once again, left it a little longer and the car started absolutely fine.

I always keep an eye on the temperature gauge as once upon a time the radiator fan did not come on (as it was faulty). On both occasions that it cut out it was around the 180-190 mark (so not hot) and I am fairly sure the fan did come on. Furthermore, when I opened the bonnet on I didn’t notice or hear any bubbling from the overflow tank.

I didn’t check the engine light on both occasions (I wish I had now).

After the first incident I took the car to my mechanic and he said he read the ECM/ECU and saw no faults. When I disconnected the battery would this have wiped any error code?

I am looking for any help /advice/direction on this matter as I don’t even know where to begin or what to advise my mechanic to look over.

Thanks so much guys.
Anil
Old 02-08-2014, 02:30 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Engine cuts out mid driving

Check for spark next time "it cranks but won't start".