Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Fuel issues; stalls when flooring

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel issues; stalls when flooring

So a few months ago I got a new (my second) camaro. It's a 1991 RS, but it has a 350 changed into it, with a carburetor put on it, with an in line electric fuel pump instead of the stock one. When I got it, I met the guy somewhere about 20 minutes away from my house, he shut the car off and we talked for a while, I got in the car it cranked without any hesitation. I drove it, stopped a few places, cranked every time no problem. I did notice however that if I tried giving it a lot of throttle, it'd sort of cut out like it was going to die, then slowly pick back up. I got it home and it drove great besides that, parked it. Next morning I go to crank it, and it just keeps turning over. It has a clear fuel filter before the carburetor and I could see that no fuel was making it that far. After messing with some stuff, I took the line off of the fuel pump leading away from the tank, and ran one off of the fuel pump out of the car to see if it was even pumping fuel. It wasn't at first, then after about 15 seconds it starts shooting fuel. I put the line back on it, and the car started up perfectly. It does this pretty much every time, and it will run for a good while after that. Does this sound like the fuel pump is going bad? The guy said he had just put that one on it but I'm not sure if I should believe that or not.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:56 PM

Car: 1991 Z28
Engine: 350 tpi
Transmission: auto/stock
Axle/Gears: stock
Re: Fuel issues; stalls when flooring

I would possibly believe him if he gave you a RECEIPT proving he purchased it.. then you can actually get under the car and see if it's the same model etc.. I would call B.S. that he did without it.. so sick of people saying they did this or that.. and the holy grail "rebuilt motor" meme.. people say that to remove fear in order to drive a sale and it's shady as all hell!!!! you issue.. well.. hopefully someone can answer your question... definitely sounds like some sort of fuel delivery issue..
Old 10-21-2013, 06:02 PM

Re: Fuel issues; stalls when flooring

Originally Posted by vdoggie
I would possibly believe him if he gave you a RECEIPT proving he purchased it.. then you can actually get under the car and see if it's the same model etc.. I would call B.S. that he did without it.. so sick of people saying they did this or that.. and the holy grail "rebuilt motor" meme.. people say that to remove fear in order to drive a sale and it's shady as all hell!!!! you issue.. well.. hopefully someone can answer your question... definitely sounds like some sort of fuel delivery issue..
Yeah, I wasn't too adamant about proof of a new fuel pump at the time because I was trading a car that was worse than this one. I don't really believe anything anyone says when they have the ability to profit from it.