Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

So somebody dumped sugar in my gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 RS
Engine: L69?
Transmission: 700r4
So somebody dumped sugar in my gas tank

What do I do now? I've driven it for days like that already. I noticed a bunch of white stuff on my driveway and didn't think anything of it, I don't talk to anyone in my neighborhood and don't have any enemies. I only noticed when I went to get gas and saw my gas cap missing and what was obviously sugar all over the inside of my fuel door. How do I fix this? And is that something I should even waste time filing a police report on?
Old 09-01-2013, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: '87 IROC-Z | '99 SS
Engine: LB9 | LS1
Transmission: 700R4 | T56
re: So somebody dumped sugar in my gas tank

The sugar doesn't disolve in the fuel. Drop the tank, clean it out and replace the fuel filter... Done. Is this TPI or TBI?
Old 09-01-2013, 07:10 PM

Car: 87 iroc-z
Engine: LB9 305 tpi
Transmission: t5
Axle/Gears: 9bolt BW 3.45 (G92)

Sorry to hear man. Maybe it was some kids man, they do dumb stuff probably got scared and ran with cap too. Cops wont do anything unless you feel this was done while it was on your property. Even then nothing will happen. Look into a gascap with a lock, its inconvienent yes. Im a heavy equipment operator and companies gotta lock theyre equipment fluid fill areas, especialy new machines bc the competition be trying to sabotage.

But sugar in the gas tank is almost an adult move. But if they wanted to do it and realy cause harm they shouldve put the cap back on. Brightside is they may have failed. You may not have sucked it up yet, start by checking your lines and filter

Last edited by me420; 09-01-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Agreed with above- sugar stays in it's original granular form in gasoline. Do a little home experiment if you still have doubts. It's basically like dumping sand in the gas tank- it can clog filters (or worse if it gets past the filter- clogged/leaky injectors), but generally this is a much less apocalyptic scenario than most believe.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:15 PM

Car: 87 iroc-z
Engine: LB9 305 tpi
Transmission: t5
Axle/Gears: 9bolt BW 3.45 (G92)

Also invest in installing a see thru inline filter in your engine bay to be safe
Old 09-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Banned

Car: 89 Iroc
Engine: 305
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Sorry to hear man, yeah like other members have said, drop your tank is the best way really and clean it out. Then replace fuel filter and run some Techron fuel system cleaner through your car.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Heatzone25
Sorry to hear man, yeah like other members have said, drop your tank is the best way really and clean it out. Then replace fuel filter and run some Techron fuel system cleaner through your car.
Yeah I'm just glad it really isn't as bad as most people believe. Looks like I'll be waiting a little longer for that chip tough

One more question. Since it's been driving for a few days, made a few 20 mile or so trips, would I be ok to drive it until something, if at all, happens? I really need it to get to work, actually in about an hour, would I risk anything happening if I filled the tank (maybe more dissoulution in filters?) and drove it the 20 miles or so tonight? Surely since it's been days whatever damage being done will have already happened? Worst case scenario: Clogged fuel system and I have to replace all the parts anyway, correct?
Old 09-01-2013, 09:06 PM

Don't push your luck. Clean it out ASAP would be a Strong recomendation.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by IROCgiraffe
The sugar doesn't disolve in the fuel. Drop the tank, clean it out and replace the fuel filter... Done. Is this TPI or TBI?
OK will do. It's TBI. How do you go about removing the tank? I have the FSM and all it says about servicing fuel tank is, and I quote "Step 4. Remove fuel tank."

Is there a write up anywhere so that I may complete "Step 4"
Old 09-01-2013, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by RavageTheRoad
OK will do. It's TBI. How do you go about removing the tank? I have the FSM and all it says about servicing fuel tank is, and I quote "Step 4. Remove fuel tank."

Is there a write up anywhere so that I may complete "Step 4"
Run a search, discussed on this Board.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:28 PM

Tried before I asked, all I found was a paragraph here and there basically saying I need to dismantle the rear end lol. It's ok, I'll keep searching, I;m sure I'll find it. I always look for hours before making a thread, just needed faster input this time with me going to work and all. Thanks, guys I appreciate it
Old 09-02-2013, 12:51 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro SC
Engine: SFI'd 350
Transmission: TKO 500
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt w/ 3.23's

You can take the tank out without complete removal of the rear. You WILL need to take the muffler off and all its heat shielding, which in some cases is worse depending on how old the car is. To make life easier, you will want to unbolt the shocks and loosen the lower control arm and panhard mounting bolts so the rear can hang down. Make sure that you support it so the flexible brake lines are not over-extended. Get as much fuel out of the tank before you remove it, so its not as heavy. Unbolt the hard-lines to the tank and disconnect the harness for the fuel pump, unbolt the straps, and then its time for the fun part: maneuvering the filler neck out. Beforehand, unbolt the plastic trim piece behind the fuel door to give yourself some room, and BE PATIENT! Don't try to yank it out as the braze on the filler neck can break, and then you will need a whole new gas tank. Once out, flush until there are no traces of sugar left, and then completely dry the tank before re-installation. If the tank is really rusty inside, then you may want to opt for a new tank.

Id also plan on replacing the fuel pump while your there. Easier now than later, and the pump is almost surely on its way out. Use a good replacement pump with the proper intermediary fuel line (one that's rated for full fuel exposure). Standard fuel line will dissolve if the exterior is exposed to fuel.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:38 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 377
Transmission: TH350; Circle D 4200 converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"

Not to replace random parts, but NOW is the time to put a brand new fuel pump in if you know the current one has some miles on it. I know I definitely would.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:01 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 1,839 Likes on 1,399 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

What they said...

That's one of those "old wives' tales" (no disrespect intended toward either wives or the elderly) that has no basis in fact.

It's about the same as pouring sand in there, except it's not particularly abrasive. Nothing just dreadfully fatal or anything like that, or even the least bit harmful to the engine itself, as the "myth" would have you believe; just a minor annoyance.

I'd suggest removing the tank; taking it to the quarter car wash, which DOES dissolve sugar unlike gasoline, and blasting it out until immaculate; then putting a shop vac on "blow" into the fuel sending unit/pump hole and letting it blow warm air into it overnight to dry out. And of course, put a new fuel pump in, since, if you have luck anything like mine, it will otherwise die about a week after you put it back together.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS yellow
Engine: was '91 V6, now '89 5.7/355 TPI
Transmission: 4 speed automatic
Axle/Gears: Moser 3.73 with zexel posi

1. Buy a locking gas cap.

2. Check with your insurance agent; vandalism may be covered.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:41 AM

your ignoring the fact that most current fuel contains about 10% ethanol and ethanol is hygroscopic, (it absorbs moisture) so yes the sugar will eventually get to the engine, now sugar in the fuel tank may not be a absolute catastrophe, but Id get the tank and fuel lines carefully cleaned and the lines flushed and fuel filter replaced.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:04 AM

Re: So somebody dumped sugar in my gas tank

I know this is old now but I just wanted to give an update on what happened. Police couldn't do anything, no proof or any evidence to even pursue a case, but the report was filed in case anything else happens. I did unfortunately choose to forego the highly recommended dropping the tank and cleaning in favor of just changing the fuel filter 3 times. Would have loved to do it just for the experience and tossing in a fuel pump but it's my DD plus my gf's taxi to work so I just didn't have the daylight/time to do it then. Havent had any problems after the first fuel filter change, it was starting stall at idle, probably clogged and I got lucky changing it because I've had no adverse effects since then. Still runs like a champ though and I actually almost get 20 mpg (opposed to 13 when I first did the swap) after I traced down the wiring gremlins.

Really just making this post for anyone in the future at least with fuel injection that stumbles across this topic, the sugar isn't a catastrophic failure and you can fix it, I probably got lucky avoiding the tank cleaning though so keep that in mind, I myself would have loved to drop the tank, clean it, and put in a fresh fuel pump. But as always, thanks everyone for the input, you have been instrumental in keeping this car from the junkyard since i've bought it so major props to all that have helped me.

Edit so I don't look like an idiot: I most definitely am getting a new tank the second I can. I have an LT1/T56 swap planned for spring time and will have it done before then and that will be the first step.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:57 AM
Supreme Member
TGO - 10 Year Member

Received 706 Likes on 505 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: So somebody dumped sugar in my gas tank

I didn't see mention of a locking gas cap , and the jerks who tried to ruin it the first time are still out there .......