Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

91 Camaro RS 305 idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 Camaro RS 305 idle issues

So, I am at a total stand still right now. I can't seem to keep the car running. It'll fire up just fine just won't run for very long (usually between 3-10 sec). I picked up the car from a coworker months ago and freed it from a field its been sitting in since 2008. When I first picked it up, I replaced the cap and rotor and the plugs and wires. Replaced the battery, the air filter, the radiator coolant, and gave it a oil change and changed the oil filter. It fired right up and drove like a champ. It was probably the 3rd or 4th time I took it out to run some errands and grab some lunch. When I tried to come home, I noticed problems immediately when I tried to move. Extreme sudden loss of power that would cause the RPM's to jump up and down and make the car pretty much lag. It was a complete struggle to get it back out to my house. Could barely get it up to 55mph and by the time I got to my driveway, it died. It would fire right back up but as soon as I hit and kind of incline, no matter how small, it'll stall. It seems to also stall when I try to put it in gear and start moving unless I'm constantly playing with the clutch and throttle. Since then I've replaced the MAP sensor, O2 sensor, IAC valve, the engine coolant temperature sensor, the fuel filter, EGR valve and the TPS. I've been thinking it might be the fuel pump but I had a mechanic hook it up and check the pressure and he said its good. So now I'm really stumped. Please help! Also, if it is the fuel pump, do you know an easy way of replacing it? Thank you for your time!
Old 06-13-2013, 04:44 AM

Re: 91 Camaro RS 305 idle issues

Update: now it will idle if I keep the vacuum line unplugged from the MAP sensor.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 camaro rs
Engine: 3.1 - looking to upgrade to 3400 hy
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Stock? Lol
A bad map will cause this. If you need one let me know I have a spare lying around my garage.

You said your fuel pressure is good. But what about the injectors? Have you checked resistance on them?

Is this problem only hot? Only cold? Both?

Icm's seem to crap out when its hot.

After all that stuff you replaced did you do an idle relearn?

Posted from Thirdgen.org App for Android
Old 06-13-2013, 05:12 PM

This is the 2nd brand new MAP sensor I've put on this thing but they are the same brand from the same store. Do you think I should just get my money back and go to a different parts store?

I don't know how to check the resistance on the injectors

the problem happens both hot and cold

How do you do an idle relearn?
Old 06-13-2013, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 camaro rs
Engine: 3.1 - looking to upgrade to 3400 hy
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Stock? Lol
Ok we'll ignore the map for now then. When you say it won't die with the map vacuum unplugged thats with you covering up the hole with your finger or just letting it suck in air?

The injector testing is easy. Just pull one. Get a multimeter and turn it to ohms. Then put one lead on one side and the other on the other side. I believe the magic number is 12. As long as its over 12 at least the coil is still goood in them.

Idle relearn!

Step 1 - unhook battery for 5 min.

Step 2 - reconnect battery

Step 3 - turn it on and without turning the wheel hitting the gas or breaks let it run for 5 min.

Step 3 turn it off. Wait 30 seconds.

Step 4 restart it. wait another 5 min.

Done. Lol. Annoying as all hell haha.

Posted from Thirdgen.org App for Android
Old 06-13-2013, 06:00 PM

Sweet! I'll give that a shot when I get home.

You know, I don't honestly recall trying to put my finger on the vacuum line hole but it definitely stalls out when its plugged in.