Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

egr with after market headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am
Engine: 305 carb stock
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: stock
egr with after market headers

Ok, so I have some questions.
when I bought the car it had after market headers, the egr was blocked off with a plate on the stock quadrajet manifold. The second tvs on the waterneck (not the vacuum advance tvs) was busted, had no connections left on it.

Soooo where I am i have to pass a visual but no emissions. That leaves me trying to sort this crap out. With aftermarket headers does the egr even work? (I dont want to start the debate of the egr removing or adding power),

With a non ccc carb (its a canadian car) is there a solenoid for the egr? I havent seen it on any routing diagrams.

I also have some wires and such that werent connected, looks like they havent been for a long time. I will post pictures a little later, once I get them onto my computer.

On the driver side header between 1 and 3 cylinder there is a sensor (?) with a single wire attached, is that a knock sensor or a fan switch... this cars engine bay is pretty much a cluster**** and sadly I am trying to return it to a basically stock engine (minus a ac and heat delete, and a smoothing, wire/hose tuck)

so yeah help!
Old 04-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI
Transmission: Custom Built 700R4 w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: QP fab 9" 3.70 Truetrac
Re: egr with after market headers

All Data shows an EGR solenoid that would have been mounted on the passenger side valve cover towards the rear of the motor. The sending unit in the driver's head above and between 1&3 is the coolant temp sender for the gauge.

Deleting EGR on a stock, EGR equipped, application can cause high combustion temps and valve damage over time, not to start a debate on the pros and cons of the EGR valve. That being said, if you don't need to pass an emissions test and don't care about the EGR, just bolt one from the junk yard on with a piece of tin to block one passage and plug a hose onto it. Then again, they may not even lift the air cleaner to look that closely. I've had inspectors that were pretty lazy and may not even notice the EGR missing. One TVS is for purge control, the other is for early fuel evaporation(EFE), or the vacuum actuator on the rear corner of the engine that closes a butterfly valve on one exhaust manifold to speed heating of the intake's hot bed. Since the car has headers, that is most certainly gone now.