Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

TPI Intermittent No Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Car: 1985 Z28
Engine: 334 Stroker Superram 222/230
Transmission: Full Manual 700R4 / 3k Street Edge
Axle/Gears: 3.90 Eaton, Moser, Richmond & More
TPI Intermittent No Start

OK guys. Need some opinions on this one. At first I thought it was the ignition coil but now it seems I have a more serious underlying problem. Here's the scoop.

Yesterday, drove perfectly fine to work without so much as a single misfire til the moment I parked and shut the engine off. Come outside 8 hours later and engine cranks but wont start. Tried at least 3 - 4 times and got nothing.

Determined I had 40psi at the rail while cranking but am not getting spark. verified all fuses were in shape then phoned friend who brought tools, multimeter, an entire distributor to pick for parts and a ride to the autoparts store if needed.

Verified that coil had 12V on the BAT wire and started teardown of distributor cap. We honestly thought we were going to have to change the module but to our surprise it fired right up after we swapped the coil.

Drove fine all the way home. Stopped at a gas station to grab some smokes and came back outside. Started and drove perfect the rest of the way to my house. Sat overnight and just tried starting it again and now it's doing the same thing. Some light rain today however yesterday it was bone dry outside the whole day so I think we rule out moisture as the culprit. Both times it was rather cold outside with the temperature in the low 30s - low 40s.

What should I attack next? Could the ignition module be on it's way out and playing games? Is there something that could be killing the coil while the car sits or when trying to start it the next time? Distributor pickup coil is a very new borg warner with about 5k. Cap and rotor have probably around 35 - 40k so getting close to replacement time but I wouldn't think it would be causing this. When running the engine runs flawlessly without so much as a single misfire.