Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

1988 Camaro 5.0 TPI Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 POSI Rear
1988 Camaro 5.0 TPI Won't Start

Hey guys,

I have an 88 Camaro that I have been driving for 4 months that won't start. When I bought the car, it would typically take longer than usual for the engine to turn over which I think is due to an old starter.

I have been working on my car all winter and let the battery drain because I've had the interior lights on the whole time (I know, not smart). I was getting ready to take the car out for a spin and it wont start now. There is just a very distinct clicking noise when I jump the car and turn the key over. When my camaro is connected to my daily driver when I jump it, the headlights come on strong as well as all of the interior lightning. When I turn the key over, the lights all dim and the clicking starts.

I just changed the lock cylinder because the old one was broken so I thought that may have something to do with it but it may just be a coincidence that the car doesn't start just after I changed that out.

My brother-in-law is a mechanic and said he is positive its the starter. He suggested I hit it with a hammer to loosen the solenoid but that hasn't been working. I have read a bunch of threads that suggest it could be a number of things, bad battery, poor cable connection, bad cables, etc. I firmly believe it is the starter or the battery. Based on your experience, what do you think it is?

Thanks guys
Old 03-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers
Re: 1988 Camaro 5.0 TPI Won't Start

Originally Posted by RocNRoll
Hey guys,

I have an 88 Camaro that I have been driving for 4 months that won't start. When I bought the car, it would typically take longer than usual for the engine to turn over which I think is due to an old starter.

I have been working on my car all winter and let the battery drain because I've had the interior lights on the whole time (I know, not smart). I was getting ready to take the car out for a spin and it wont start now. There is just a very distinct clicking noise when I jump the car and turn the key over. When my camaro is connected to my daily driver when I jump it, the headlights come on strong as well as all of the interior lightning. When I turn the key over, the lights all dim and the clicking starts.

I just changed the lock cylinder because the old one was broken so I thought that may have something to do with it but it may just be a coincidence that the car doesn't start just after I changed that out.

My brother-in-law is a mechanic and said he is positive its the starter. He suggested I hit it with a hammer to loosen the solenoid but that hasn't been working. I have read a bunch of threads that suggest it could be a number of things, bad battery, poor cable connection, bad cables, etc. I firmly believe it is the starter or the battery. Based on your experience, what do you think it is?

Thanks guys
That's a classic bad battery. When you killed the battery by leaving the lights in you killed a cell in the battery. Pull it out and take it to Autozone and have it checked, but I'm 99% sure that's it.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 POSI Rear

Well shoot. If that's the case, is the battery ruined?
Old 03-21-2013, 04:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers

Originally Posted by RocNRoll
Well shoot. If that's the case, is the battery ruined?
Yes, but if it's a Diehard or Optima, depending on how old it is, you may have a warranty on it.