Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

383 TPI Build Questions - Full Camaro Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1986 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: SBC 383 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Posi
383 TPI Build Questions - Full Camaro Restoration

Hi All,

I apologize in advance for the length of this post, but I have a few questions and I need some input for the group. First off want to say this forum is great and whenever I'm stuck in the garage on something during my restoration i can always find the answer here.

So I purchased a 86 IROC about 4 years ago, originally it had the 305 TPI setup in it, I originally intended on getting it running and then slowly restore, well plans changed and I dove right in to tearing the whole car down till there was nothing left to take off.

The entire bottom of the car was scrapped, patched and repainted, all brand new suspension and steering components have been installed, the body and doors have been smoothed out and straitened and painted and most of the interior is in place, I am now ready to install my engine.

I opted to go with a 383 and keep the TPI setup, i like the added torque and power of the 383 and i love the look of the TPI, plus the other advantages in my opinion given the way I'm going to use the car by sticking with the FI.

I have a new 4 bolt main 350 block, it was cleaned, bored .030" over and decked to match a set of World Products S/R Torquer heads, the heads were rebuilt with all new components and a custom grind Comp Cam Xtreme Energy .463 I / .469 E cam has been installed and that is where I'm at right now with the build.

I have installed an 89 Posi disc rear end with the 3.42 gear, and i will be running the 700R4 transmission that has been upgraded with a valve body improvement kit from TCI. I will be running a TCI Breakaway Torque Converter with an estimated stall around 2500 RPM.

I have all the original CPU components and intended on getting a custom burned PROM no matter what i do next. I live in Illinois and do not need to comply to emissions anymore so I am going to remove the A.I.R. / Smog pump setup. I plan on running shorty headers with either a high flow cat or no cat at all and then an aftermarket exhaust system that follows the stock routing as i do not want to have issues with ground clearance since the car will be lowered due to a set of Eibach lowering springs.

I plan to use the car as a daily driver, I may take it to the track just to see what it will do, but this is by no means a drag car, my aim is to get a quick responsive car that will take those 5.0 slows off the line along with those little burner cars. The car will have no badging except for the absolute neccesary so you would have no idea if it was 305, 350 or something else unless you have a trained ear for those things.

My question finally: Would it benefit me to swap out the wiring and get the Painless kit for 90+ Camaro's and transfer over to the MAP system instead of the MAF? I realize that the CPU will need to be swapped to match the wiring assembly, fuel rail will need modifications for the 9th injector, hawks and ricks sells block off plates and plugs for the CS and EGR. I plan on running 24-30lb injectors and perhaps moving to an inline fuel pump since it is such a pain to swap of the in-tank even with a cutout above the tank. I have seen posts with this same questions, but I haven't seen a lot of guys building the 383 TPI for a street application and not drag.

Any help and input would be greatly appreciated, this is my first Camaro build and first car build in general so forgive me if these are basic questions.

I have attached some pics of the restoration. Thank you again!!
Attached Thumbnails 383 TPI Build Questions - Full Camaro Restoration-img_3469.jpg   383 TPI Build Questions - Full Camaro Restoration-img_5959.jpg   383 TPI Build Questions - Full Camaro Restoration-img_6479.jpg  
Old 11-28-2012, 09:01 PM

Re: 383 TPI Build Questions - Full Camaro Restoration

Some more pics...
Attached Thumbnails 383 TPI Build Questions - Full Camaro Restoration-img_6555.jpg   383 TPI Build Questions - Full Camaro Restoration-100_1544.jpg   383 TPI Build Questions - Full Camaro Restoration-100_1853.jpg  
Old 11-28-2012, 09:03 PM

Re: 383 TPI Build Questions - Full Camaro Restoration

And a few more...
Attached Thumbnails 383 TPI Build Questions - Full Camaro Restoration-100_1882.jpg   383 TPI Build Questions - Full Camaro Restoration-100_1905.jpg   383 TPI Build Questions - Full Camaro Restoration-100_1909.jpg