Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

202 camel humps

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012 | 10:29 PM

202 camel humps

Ok so im new to this whole chevy thing. Im looking at some heads with casting # 3890462 according to him they are 2.02"/1.60" and according to the internet and him they are 64cc. Im building this motor for nitrous. Are these even the heads i want?

These are seemingly true camel humps right? One head is threaded the other is pinned. Hes asking 225 obo and they are totally broken down. he seems to have all the parts. My question is are these heads worth messing with or should i buy new heads and call it good? Id like to make them both threaded and have all new valves installed.

Thanks for any info.
Old 11-19-2012 | 11:45 PM

Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Re: 202 camel humps

40 years ago these were considered performance heads. Unless you can get them for nothing and can do your own machine work, they're not worth the money. Some factory vortec heads from the junkyard are a much better option. Even a set of Dart iron Sportsman heads are better right out of the box than those old heads.

The only people who need those old castings are those who race in a class where they must run period correct castings or someone trying to build a numbers matching car. To everyone else, there are much better options. Chances are they don't have accessory bolt holes so things like your alternator bracket etc won't bolt up.

By the time you have them cleaned up, new seats, probably new guides, larger spring pockets for better springs, have the stud bosses machined off for screw in studs if they don't already have them, new springs and valves, you can usually buy a set of fully assembled aluminum heads for less money.

I wish all those old performance build books could be pulled from the store shelves and burned. Basics are basics but they're always showing what was considered performance parts 40 years ago. Technology has changed and aftermarket performance parts are much more affordable.

I have a set of camel heads in my garage. They just need a new set of valves but I won't give them away and I recommend that nobody should buy a set. I put about 20 hours of porting into them and would never get back what I invested in them. I don't even have an engine to put them on.

Last edited by AlkyIROC; 11-19-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-20-2012 | 01:12 AM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73

Originally Posted by AlkyIROC
By the time you have them cleaned up, new seats, probably new guides, larger spring pockets for better springs, have the stud bosses machined off for screw in studs if they don't already have them, new springs and valves, you can usually buy a set of fully assembled aluminum heads for less money..

Keep looking ,there are better deals around on modern heads

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-350-Vo...3cc41e&vxp=mtr
Old 11-20-2012 | 05:33 AM
Supreme Member
15 Year Member

Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

462 has the bolt holes.

Those were good heads, in their day. Among the best stock ones. But that day is long gone.

You can buy better stock heads nowadays for less money than that; and FAR better aftermarket ones for about what you'll have tied up in old stockers.

Used to be, that was what we all had that we could do; was go find a set of those, and work em up to the full extent of our bank account. There WERE NO aftermarket heads except super-$$$$$ racing ones. No Dart, AFR, TF, or even the Chinese cheeeeeeepies. But that's no longer the best way to go.

Keep looking.